Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:21:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin will inevitably Fail as Altcoins suceed  (Read 3958 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 07:38:06 AM

The quality of the people involved with the sdiechain whitepaper shows that at least some prominent knowledgeable Bitcoiners recognize that altcoins technology is pretty interesting and even superior in many aspects to Bitcoin.
Just as no one knew where bitcoin would be a couple of years ago, no one knows where altcoins will be over the horizon. And the horizon is not that far away
I always think about ipv6 and ipv4 in this comparison.
ipv6 is vastly superior to ipv4 but few people really know anything about it or are using it.
Why should I go for ipv6 when ipv4 also works (I know there are benefits and more ip adresses)?

And to compare it with cryptocurrency makes altcoins even less interesting in my opinion because there is value involved with bitcoin.
People want their precious bitcoins to be valuable so there is even less incentive to move to alts, how brilliant they are.
ipv4 = bitcoin
ipv6 = brilliant mega super duper other unicorn coin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 07:44:00 AM

I don't think this comparison is valid or interesting.
Bitcoin is more like a higher layer protocol over TCP/IP, I like comparing it to UUCP that had limited applications.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 07:53:13 AM

Bitcoin is more like a higher layer protocol over TCP/IP, I like comparing it to UUCP that had limited applications.
IIRC Gavin recently observed that a better analogy would be ethernet replacing token ring.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
devphp

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:06:50 AM

IIRC Gavin recently observed that a better analogy would be ethernet replacing token ring.

That's physical level. Shouldn't we best search for software level analogies? Crypto currencies are software after all.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:16:48 AM

That's physical level. Shouldn't we best search for software level analogies? Crypto currencies are software after all.
Bitcoin is a protocol, not software.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:28:23 AM

LOOOOOOL - @ alt coins, is your brain all mush or something W T F.. I like to call them Altcopies... they are all just copies off each other with some numbers changed in the code. And walla done!, Infact this is EXACTLY how the creator of that stupid doggy coin explained how he created his copy.

Do you realize how many big names are invested into bitcoin and banking on it to thrive not only survive- In fact, have you heard of Blockstream? I can see this destroying the need for altcoins or even ethereum, counterparty, colour coins.. We only need the power, network effect, publicity and scarcity of Bitcoin , this can support the entire planet no problem, once we have people developing on top and along side it we wont need a whole heap of copied BS inflating the world of cryptocurrency.
devphp

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:37:52 AM

LOOOOOOL - @ alt coins, is your brain all mush or something W T F.. I like to call them Altcopies... they are all just copies off each other with a very nnumbers changed in the code.

Do you realize how many big names are invested into bitcoin and banking on it to thrive not only survive- In fact, have you heard of Blockstream? I can see this destroying the need for altcoins or even ethereum, counterparty, colour coins.. We only need the power, network effect, publicity and scarcity of Bitcoin , this can support the entire planet no problem, once we have people developing on top and along side it we wont need a whole heap of copied BS inflating the world of cryptocurrency.

Again, homework not done. Most altcoins are copies, but not all of them.

There are not so many big names actually investing in Bitcoin yet, and what they invest in is mostly payment platforms and businesses, not bitcoins? Do you know why? Because payment platforms and infrastructure is easily adaptable to any crypto currency, and it's up to users to decide which one will be the leader, or perhaps even several leaders. Smart money invests to take profits in whatever users decide to be the currency of choice, smart money will skim their cut in any case. They like to invest in businesses generating profits, a large share of that investing goes into mining bitcoins. But do they keep those bitcoins or sell for fiat? The price action should tell us.
gtraah

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:42:50 AM

LOOOOOOL - @ alt coins, is your brain all mush or something W T F.. I like to call them Altcopies... they are all just copies off each other with a very nnumbers changed in the code.

Again, homework not done. Most altcoins are copies, but not all of them.

There are not so many big names actually investing in Bitcoin yet, and what they invest in is mostly payment platforms and businesses, not bitcoins? Do you know why? Because payment platforms and infrastructure is easily adaptable to any crypto currency, and it's up to users to decide which one will be the leader, or perhaps even several leaders. Smart money invests to take profits in whatever users decide to be the currency of choice, smart money will skim their cut in any case. They like to invest in businesses generating profits, a large share of that investing goes into mining bitcoins. But do they keep those bitcoins or sell for fiat? The price action should tell us.

Yes not all but the concept all came from bitcoin if it wasn't for bitcoin these coins will not be here. We don't need altcoins, the only reason why ppl invest in altcoins is because they are cheap and they think its going to take off like bitcoin and they are going to become rich with fiat. Its all BS in my eyes.

And usually people who have invested in bitcoin companies  - 90% of them have some bitcoins which means they are invested in it Smiley they'd be silly not to, anyway all this stuff takes time. Your right but at the moment the sell pressure is greater than the buy pressure but this will change over time especially when the block rewards drop and bitcoin becomes more popular there are still heap of people who haven't heard about bitcoin. I believe investing in companies around bitcoin is investing in bitcoin in a way, its called innovation. Similar like how people cannot invest in the internet they have to invest in things built around it.

Please check out blockstream this is potentially one of the greatest things that is going to take off in BITCOIN ecosystem, not altcoin
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:47:08 AM

Blockchain technology is the future of financial systems. In my opinion, when all of this becomes mainstream, there will be several cryptos that will get their piece of the market. Bitcoin will be one of them, but not the only one! Nobody should bet against the innovation, never!!  Smiley
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:52:14 AM

Altcoins.
Succeeding.

I'm not quite on it.

A trader I'm in contact with does not seem very worried from BTC centralization. It's just a faster, more efficient SWIFT to him. I wonder if BTC will "fail" in the future but I see it in use for a long time for now.

adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:52:47 AM

If an altcoin has a serious advantage over bitcoin, we can most likely implement that feature into bitcoin and just fork it.
Can you imagine the politics  Smiley
gtraah

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:52:54 AM

Blockchain technology is the future of financial systems. In my opinion, when all of this becomes mainstream, there will be several cryptos that will get their piece of the market. Bitcoin will be one of them, but not the only one! Nobody should bet against the innovation, never!!  Smiley

Offcourse innovation is the only way but the whole point of scarcity is scarcity, we don't need a whole new coin just because it has 1-3 extra features that people want, again this is why blockstream has gotten the ball rolling, they understand exactly this. Everything can be added to Bitcoin itself. And Innovation is the KEY, just wait and see. People have even nicknamed blockstream the altcoin killer lol
gtraah

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:53:53 AM

If an altcoin has a serious advantage over bitcoin, we can most likely implement that feature into bitcoin and just fork it.
Can you imagine the politics  Smiley

Exactly, check above comments. This is why blockstream is coming together
devphp

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:54:25 AM

Yes not all but the concept all came from bitcoin if it wasn't for bitcoin these coins will not be here. We don't need altcoins, the only reason why ppl invest in altcoins is because they are cheap and they think its going to take off like bitcoin and they are going to become rich with fiat. Its all BS in my eyes.

Well, that's only your opinion, thank you for sharing it )
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 09:26:34 AM

Offcourse innovation is the only way but the whole point of scarcity is scarcity, we don't need a whole new coin just because it has 1-3 extra features that people want, again this is why blockstream has gotten the ball rolling, they understand exactly this. Everything can be added to Bitcoin itself. And Innovation is the KEY, just wait and see. People have even nicknamed blockstream the altcoin killer lol

Well in all honesty, Bitcoin DEVs are not that famous for innovation, adding features and forking network in order to roll out new features out. Keep in mind that this adding of the features might be much harder to do than you are assuming.
TR8888

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 01:32:46 PM

Proof/Source that Satoshi has 1mill coins pls..
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 02:07:38 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2014, 02:25:10 PM by Soros Shorts

UUCP can and has been implemented over TCP/IP (transparently, I might add). So using your analogy Bitcoin can be implemented over some super duper Altcoin protocol. I don't think the analogy is a good one. For one, there was little vested interest for UUCP users to not migrate over to some better file transfer mechanism when that became available. On the other hand, there is a very big incentive for existing Bitcoin users to keep Bitcoin competitive by making incremental forks to the protocol/blockchain in a manner that would ensure that current holders do not get screwed over.
huoiuu

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 02:33:36 PM

altcoin will fail inevitably

BRE
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1014

Lucky.lat | Marketing Solutions & Implementations

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 03:02:28 PM

Its too early to judge that , no machine or human can predict 100% about that.
Only super big whale can control bitcoin price , but i think untill now some super rich guys still not interested about bitcoin.
Imagine if some rich guys from saudi began to buy bitcoin and they accept bitcoin for oil payment.
i believe bitcoin will hit more than $ 1000 with that.
That was just only 1 simple theory , and still much another reason for bitcoin can hit more high than $ 1000 in the future.

Lucky.lat | Marketing Solutions & Implementations

https://lucky.lat/

Contact Us!
sales@lucky.lat
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 11:47:05 AM

Don't know what you guys are talking about, but
OP hasn't been back since he started this thread on Oct 22.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: