Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:42:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When explaining Bitcoin to someone, what are some key points to speak about?  (Read 2349 times)
ThatDandyMan (OP)

Activity: 175
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:10:50 AM

I personally tell them about the decentralized nature and the lack of a middle man in transactions. What would BCT recommend to grab attention?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:38:23 AM

1. free international transmission  
2. security-money is under your control
3. avoid high exchange fee especially for travel abroad

Sophie.Greek

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:42:43 AM

just one: bitcoin can make you rich.

he would go to check the rest  by himself
ytr8

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:43:18 AM

I personally tell them about the decentralized nature and the lack of a middle man in transactions. What would BCT recommend to grab attention?

A very low transaction fees,

anonymity

Enfield

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:50:13 AM

The decentralized nature is it's biggest selling point. Sadly, though, many people are not that familiar with economics or how the fiat monetary system works so they're not that bothered by it.
orsotheysaid

Activity: 153

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:06:07 PM

The decentralized nature is it's biggest selling point. Sadly, though, many people are not that familiar with economics or how the fiat monetary system works so they're not that bothered by it.

They don't give a fuck. I've tried explaining Bitcoin's supossed selling points to the average folk and they only start paying attention by the time I mention it can increase in value and they can win money. Other than that, they don't care because they can do everything that is needed in dollar, and 99% of people aren't wealthy enough to care about diversifying it if we are selling Bitcoin as a storage of value. So unless it becomes widely accepted everywhere and becomes a cool thing to do to pay with Bitcoin and so on.. it's doomed.
Finchy

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:11:05 PM

They don't give a fuck. I've tried explaining Bitcoin's supossed selling points to the average folk and they only start paying attention by the time I mention it can increase in value and they can win money.

Well then try sell them on the potential investment idea of bitcoin, though of course the opposite is true and you could easily lose money. Bitcoin just isn't for everyone at the moment, but hopefully they'll realise their mistake of not getting interested when you tried to tell them, then you can feel pretty smug about it all.
Enfield

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:17:48 PM

They don't give a fuck. I've tried explaining Bitcoin's supossed selling points to the average folk and they only start paying attention by the time I mention it can increase in value and they can win money. Other than that, they don't care because they can do everything that is needed in dollar, and 99% of people aren't wealthy enough to care about diversifying it if we are selling Bitcoin as a storage of value. So unless it becomes widely accepted everywhere and becomes a cool thing to do to pay with Bitcoin and so on.. it's doomed.

Well that's sadly what happens with most people, but like Finchy said above maybe they will live to regret not trying to understand the benefits at some point in the future. You just can't force it on people so they need to look into it themselves and if they don't there's nothing anyone can do about that, but hopefully bitcoins popularity in the future will help sway them.
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:28:53 PM

1. Decentralization / Freedom  Cheesy
2. How simple you use bitcoin
3. Bitcoin Price
4. What will happen bitcoin in future
5. Low fee

I think this is good for noob, and don't talk about bitcoin too hard.

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:37:05 PM

just one: bitcoin can make you rich.

he would go to check the rest  by himself

No, just no. It never will have 1000% increases again.

But tell them its an easy way to send/receive money w/o fees and that it could save merchants billions in card processing/bank fees.  Also that there are a guaranteed limit supply of 21 million ever to be in circulation, a huge improvement over current gov't currencies!  Also no counterfeiting!
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 12:50:04 PM

I just told them look how cool i have these numbers call bitcoin which you can keep in your phone. And you can buy just about anything errr... almost anything. And it's worth something like like 800 bucks per coin. And you can get it in faucets for free...

That's the exact same word my buddy told me and got me hooked on to bitcoin

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 02:19:04 PM

How and why fiat money is a violence-backed monopoly and scam run by legitimized con men.

And that Bitcoin is the first viable alternative in the history of this planet that is immune to violence because it is decentralized.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
lilin321

Activity: 179

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:19:29 PM

if the price of Bitcoin rises up ,i think more and more people will pay  attention to it .

shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:45:16 PM

To understand Bitcoin, you have to understand money: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2YllvbJo6g

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:14:39 PM

Bitcoin price of course , anonymity , Low fees for transaction . that's the first things I guess

ThatDandyMan (OP)

Activity: 175
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:07:09 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! It was really useful!

The next few days of my life are going to be filled with people asking me about Bitcoin. I was able to get my school's news segment to speak about Bitcoin, I am currently writing a paper on Bitcoin, which many students will read, and I'm essentially a walking advertisement for Bitcoin with the shirt I'm wearing (https://i.imgur.com/eKrnvi6.jpg)

I hope all goes well, and once again thanks for the input!
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 01:06:58 AM

To understand Bitcoin, you have to understand money: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2YllvbJo6g
What an outstanding talk, thanks for sharing this. I have a newfound respect for Erik Vorhees.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:37:05 AM

I like to focus on "unpacking" three words: digital, decentralized, ledger. Here's my standard intro comment:

The reason it's so hard for most people to understand Bitcoin is that most people don't really understand money. Money isn't wealth. It's an accounting system used to facilitate the exchange of wealth. (The paradox of money is that while everyone wants it, no one actually wants it - they want the stuff they can buy with it!) Many people are put off by the fact that bitcoins are "just zeroes and ones." But that's what ALL money is, information! More precisely, money is a means for credibly conveying information about value given but not yet received (or at least not yet received in a form in which it can directly satisfy a person's wants or needs).

To put it yet another way, money is a ledger. With fiat currencies like the dollar, that ledger is centralized. And that gives the central authority responsible for maintaining that ledger tremendous power, power that history has proven will inevitably be abused. With Bitcoin, the ledger is decentralized. And that means that no one individual or entity has the power to arbitrarily create new units (thereby causing inflation), freeze (or seize) your account, or block a particular payment from being processed. We've had decentralized money before. After all, no one can simply print new gold into existence. And the "ledger" of gold is distributed because the physical gold itself (the "accounting entries" in the metaphor) is distributed. But with gold, that decentralization comes at a heavy price (literally). The physical nature of gold makes it hugely inefficient from a transactional perspective.

Enter Bitcoin.

It is the first currency in the world that is BOTH decentralized AND digital. It is more reliably scarce than gold, more transactionally efficient than "modern" digital banking, and enables greater financial privacy than cash. It could certainly still fail for one reason or another, but if it doesn't, it has the potential to be very, VERY disruptive.
foxkyu

Activity: 938

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:32:19 AM

1. bitcoin concept is Decentralization its mean no government can control it
2. very easy to use bitcoin
3. security under your control
4. price in the future
5. low fee
6. you can travel over the world without worried about fiat
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 06:44:56 AM

Cut out the decentralised and government control part, they aren't interested. Believe me, I have tried.
Tell them what bitcoin can do for them!

- Transfer money to your friends and family in an instant
- Get paid for work on the internet or payment for the things you sell
- All without the bank and paypal charges, at home, 24x7
- Buy things you like from retailers like Amazon via gift cards for bitcoin
- Save some of the coins and it's value might appreciate in a couple of years

This usual works. Get them interested first, don't bored them with ideologies and blockchain tech.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: