Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:15:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The negative impact of mining farms  (Read 10732 times)
mailmansDOGE

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 03:16:44 AM

...Maybe in the end centralised mining is not all that bad... 

Most people invested in BTC would strongly disagree.

Super strongly. Isn't there a hard fork for this kind of thing?

I'd agree that you cherry picked the worst part out of my post. Tongue The part you quoted arguably sounds bad. Especially since you left out my explanation on why I don't think it's all that bad since most of the mined bitcoins (although mined from a a few companies) are still distributed and circulated from/to a large range of individuals.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 03:29:23 AM

I'd agree that you cherry picked the worst part out of my post. Tongue The part you quoted arguably sounds bad. Especially since you left out my explanation on why I don't think it's all that bad since most of the mined bitcoins (although mined from a a few companies) are still distributed and circulated from/to a large range of individuals.

In regards to your point surrounding cloud mining passing coins among many users instead of the HW owner/operators, how are these contracts paid for?  In most cases: BITCOIN!   TaDa!  So in reality there's actually very little coin holding diversification occurring.
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2778
Merit: 1791

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 03:37:58 AM

...Maybe in the end centralised mining is not all that bad... 

Most people invested in BTC would strongly disagree.

Super strongly. Isn't there a hard fork for this kind of thing?

I tried  Tongue

But how's that different from say have just google run one large mega farm, as long as you own stocks of google and get your share of btc through dividends you're good right? ...right?

"Feeeeed me Roger!"  -Bcash
mailmansDOGE

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 03:50:29 AM

I tried  Tongue

But how's that different from say have just google run one large mega farm, as long as you own stocks of google and get your share of btc through dividends you're good right? ...right?

I can't see why a company running a mining farm would want to cause harm to bitcoin. They're all deeply invested and are actively profiting from it, therefore keeping their business alive. Killing it would hurt them more as a company than it would hurt you and me. Remember that one time the evil GHASh.IO reached 51% of the total hashrate? It wasn't even entirely their fault that the pool held 51% of the network's hashing power for a moment since people willingly choose to mine there. Yet no harm was caused.
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2778
Merit: 1791

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 04:12:32 AM

I tried  Tongue

I can't see why a company running a mining farm would want to cause harm to bitcoin. They're all deeply invested and are actively profiting from it, therefore keeping their business alive. Killing it would hurt them more as a company than it would hurt you and me. Remember that one time the evil GHASh.IO reached 51% of the total hashrate? It wasn't even entirely their fault that the pool held 51% of the network's hashing power for a moment since people willingly choose to mine there. Yet no harm was caused.

Don't think they ever reached 51% did they? thought they just got close.

And there are so many arguments against centralization i don't even know where to start. I guess the easiest is regulations, even if it's not in the companies interest, companies are easily manipulated and have to report to government. Regulation will go in place to try to control it/shut it down/freeze accounts etc etc etc etc...

"Feeeeed me Roger!"  -Bcash
Jeremias

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 06:00:41 AM

Why do you call it negative? Its actually the positive impact of mining farms. I on my part love the price swings, that's where markets are made.

Referred to the Sam Cole interview on Bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-21/bitcoin-miner-ditches-clients-to-chase-2-billion-coding-prize.html

interesting to note that he refers the price of mining a coin "significantly lower than $400" - now how much lower, that we will test out in coming weeks.

What we are seeing now is a race to dump coins by the miner farms. Why? Simply, its the the survival of the fittest. Its as if - "let me lower it down, and see whether it is matched by someone else" and in this race, farms are desperate to get their own price point, before the price fall again. They will drag each other down and at some point either they have to stop or else Wink

Love it, all of this. Very soon we will see few of them going bust and icing would be the price swings.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 12:14:00 PM

I can't see why a company running a mining farm bank would want to cause harm to bitcoin fiat. They're all deeply invested and are actively profiting from it, therefore keeping their business alive. Killing it would hurt them more as a company than it would hurt you and me...

FTFY.  No need to "kill" Bitcoin to manipulate it to one's advantage.  If I devalue Bitcoin by 50% in the process of accumulating 51% more coin, that's profit for me & loss for you.
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 01:12:07 PM

Why do you call it negative? Its actually the positive impact of mining farms. I on my part love the price swings, that's where markets are made.

Referred to the Sam Cole interview on Bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-21/bitcoin-miner-ditches-clients-to-chase-2-billion-coding-prize.html

interesting to note that he refers the price of mining a coin "significantly lower than $400" - now how much lower, that we will test out in coming weeks.

What we are seeing now is a race to dump coins by the miner farms. Why? Simply, its the the survival of the fittest. Its as if - "let me lower it down, and see whether it is matched by someone else" and in this race, farms are desperate to get their own price point, before the price fall again. They will drag each other down and at some point either they have to stop or else Wink

Love it, all of this. Very soon we will see few of them going bust and icing would be the price swings.

this guy gets it
MrBig (OP)

Activity: 369

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 05:31:31 PM

I consider it negative because it will centralize mining, therefore eroding many people's trust in BTC. We already have less than 1000 addresses controlling the bulk of the existing BTC.  People said as time goes by we'll see BTC become more evenly distributed, but it's only a small portion of the available BTC spreading to more hands, while the bulk of it is still controlled by a few. Now we're seeing the same thing happen with mining. This is an easily manipulated market, which will suck the wealth out of many and give it to a few.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2014, 06:08:10 PM

Larger and larger mining farms are not what's increasing selling pressure. To the contrary, the larger the farm the cheaper the electricity and the cheaper the hardware to better the operating margin becomes.
A high operating margin gives miners the option to retain more of the mined Bitcoins while a low operating margin forces the miner to sell or at least get more capital by other means to pay bills.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 06:14:24 PM

This is how bitcoin slowly dies from here.  What started as a chance for everyone to generate their own bitcoins and participate in the economy now turns to a few data centers producing bitcoins thus forcing new users to purchase new bitcoins from them.  We've traded fiat currency controlled by a few central banks to bitcoin controlled by a few data centers.

Meet the new 1%.  Slightly different to the old 1%, but they're still there.

So at the end where is the pure decentralization ?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 06:23:40 PM

This is how bitcoin slowly dies from here.  What started as a chance for everyone to generate their own bitcoins and participate in the economy now turns to a few data centers producing bitcoins thus forcing new users to purchase new bitcoins from them.  We've traded fiat currency controlled by a few central banks to bitcoin controlled by a few data centers.

Meet the new 1%.  Slightly different to the old 1%, but they're still there.

So at the end where is the pure decentralization ?

In our dreams

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
labsbitforum

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 08:20:29 PM

Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System

Its only a matter of time before bitcoin is replaced by something that is decentralized and peer-to-peer.  Greed and lack of competent leadership are the root causes for this version 1.0 failure.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 08:31:33 PM

Large mining farms will be the first to shutdown when exchange rate dive below the electricity + maintenance cost, unless there are large VC backing them to mine certain amount of coins regardless of cost

Spare miners however could last much longer due to lower cost overhead and even free electricity

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 08:36:07 PM

Its only a matter of time before bitcoin is replaced by something that is decentralized and peer-to-peer.  Greed and lack of competent leadership are the root causes for this version 1.0 failure.

Gavin is very competent. A fork is in the works, remember?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
labsbitforum

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 08:44:14 PM

Its only a matter of time before bitcoin is replaced by something that is decentralized and peer-to-peer.  Greed and lack of competent leadership are the root causes for this version 1.0 failure.

I was surprised that nothing was done to thwart FPGAs.  And look where we are now.
MrBig (OP)

Activity: 369

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 08:53:18 PM

I thought the lead developer was changed.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 09:59:17 PM

Its only a matter of time before bitcoin is replaced by something that is decentralized and peer-to-peer.  Greed and lack of competent leadership are the root causes for this version 1.0 failure.

How exactly is Bitcoin not peer-to-peer?

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
stefanf

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 11:21:51 PM

I believe he means that mining has become a job of a few entities (mining farms). Not exactly Satoshi's idea about decentralized peer-to-peer systems.
labsbitforum

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 11:50:43 PM

I believe he means that mining has become a job of a few entities (mining farms). Not exactly Satoshi's idea about decentralized peer-to-peer systems.

yes
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: