Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:25:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I fell in love with mechanical keyboards...  (Read 3244 times)
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 07:40:56 AM

So the main difference is that mechanical keyboards have a spring for every button?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Iamyourdad

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 07:46:19 AM

i wish i had one  Roll Eyes

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 12:54:41 PM

Thing with mechanical keyboards is they are super loud, it's like the 1990s again. If they could make a quiet mechanical keyboard I would be interested, I prefer to not have everyone hear me clacking away when I type. Haha.
They do make quiet ones, but being able to hear exactly when it clicks is one of the larger benefits of them - or maybe they've accomplished that still with the quieter ones. The clicking sound isn't like the ancient beige serial keyboards with the goofy elasto-cord with the very dull but loud sound, but is generally quick and precise, a bit more like a typewriter (but without the loud belt sound.... or maybe that was just mine... Cheesy).
KrLos (OP)

Activity: 768
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 07:17:52 PM

Here is the sound diference between the diferent switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUN93Xz-7pg
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 12:50:41 PM

Thing with mechanical keyboards is they are super loud, it's like the 1990s again. If they could make a quiet mechanical keyboard I would be interested, I prefer to not have everyone hear me clacking away when I type. Haha.
They do make quiet ones, but being able to hear exactly when it clicks is one of the larger benefits of them - or maybe they've accomplished that still with the quieter ones. The clicking sound isn't like the ancient beige serial keyboards with the goofy elasto-cord with the very dull but loud sound, but is generally quick and precise, a bit more like a typewriter (but without the loud belt sound.... or maybe that was just mine... Cheesy).

I think the only reason people like these keyboards are for nostalgia purposes. They do sound nice and whenever I use one it does seem to feel more reassuring for some reason, but I think it's just a physiological thing more than anything else.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 01:38:58 PM

Well... I would keep using a common one, except that I really want a keyboard that doesn't have ghosting, that would help me a lot.
Using a mechinical one makes too much noise.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Gervais

Activity: 366

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 02:00:30 PM

I found one of these chunky old style keyboards in my attic the over day. I plugged it in and was surprised to find it still works. The sound they make does feel more reassuring and I seem to be able to type better with them too. They look very retro though, even the modern ones.
ne0futur

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 02:14:19 PM

very nice stuff you have here Smiley
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 04:04:45 PM

I found one of these chunky old style keyboards in my attic the over day. I plugged it in and was surprised to find it still works. The sound they make does feel more reassuring and I seem to be able to type better with them too. They look very retro though, even the modern ones.
They just have a better response rate, even better than ultrapolling USB membrane keyboard.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 07:56:12 PM

Click click clack clack

I love that sound.
Snipe85

Activity: 756

Infleum

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 08:26:55 PM

I have one too, made by CM Storm. Completely different from what I was used to in rubber domes.

grouper fish

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 12:17:26 PM

What kind of switches would be the best for typing? Really liked the look of the Ducky DK9008P Premier keyboard.  Smiley

grouper fish

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 12:55:13 PM

What kind of switches would be the best for typing? Really liked the look of the Ducky DK9008P Premier keyboard.  Smiley

If you don't mind switches being loud, pick a Cherry Blue. Otherwise choose a Cherry Brown which are a bit quieter than the blue ones. Browns are also better suited to gaming than Blue Cherrys.

Ducky makes quality keyboards so going with them isn't a bad idea.

Wouldn't really mind the extra noise, but is there also a difference in how hard you have to push down on the key? Brown sounds like a nice middleground perhaps?

grouper fish

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:06:01 PM

If you don't mind switches being loud, pick a Cherry Blue. Otherwise choose a Cherry Brown which are a bit quieter than the blue ones. Browns are also better suited to gaming than Blue Cherrys.

Ducky makes quality keyboards so going with them isn't a bad idea.

Wouldn't really mind the extra noise, but is there also a difference in how hard you have to push down on the key? Brown sounds like a nice middleground perhaps?

Yes, blue switches require a bit more force 50g and peak 60g, while brown switches require 45g and 55g peak force.
Cherry Brown is indeed best overall switch.

Here is a great guide http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/official-mechanical-keyboard-guide

thx for the guide.  Smiley

jennifer21

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:32:13 PM

This one is a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" kind of keyboard.

No, THIS one is a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" kind of keyboard, complete with...

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2010/04/13/Stempunk_desk_610x408.jpg

Wheeew.. That is the "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" kind of keyboard. How can they make this kind of stuff? Did they use a 3d printer for this?
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 01:07:00 AM

I use a daskeyboard. Gotta love that clickity-clack.

^^ Perfect for mastering typing. Smiley I have the regular, non masochist type.
Initscri

Activity: 1554
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 10:24:15 PM

You gonna love wooden ones even more.

This one is a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" kind of keyboard.

I was just about to post this. Where can I get one of those.

When I had my full computer in working-order my DASKeyboard was great. Posted above.

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
----------------------------------
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:39:42 PM

I've bought a mechanical keyboard, but I wouldn't replace it with anything other than a mechanical keyboard.

To OP, nice kb, but still only non-RGB.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
kimosan

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:49:28 PM

Same, after owning a mechanical keyboard for the last couple years I don't see myself every going to back to membrane keys.

Can never go back.
meowball

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 11:14:43 PM

I don't like the double-sound blue keys make per key press. On the other hand, brown keys make a lower pitched singular sound per key press with less force. Mechanical keyboards are awesome! But, they can get loud, unless you've trained yourself to touch-type by not pressing all the way down using the least force possible which you can learn to do with mechanical keyboards!  Wink
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: