Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:40:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stability (Split from Bitcoinica's announcement thread)  (Read 2705 times)
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 05:01:29 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2012, 06:40:33 PM by BTC_Bear

I also said this can take long, but its not a question of IF only WHEN

I like your technical analysis. But, couldn't this be said about anything?  It's not IF the world will end, it's WHEN.

No, it can't be said about anything.  For example:  It's not IF BTC_Bear will take it up the ass, it's WHEN.  Or:  It's not IF everyone will burst into flames, it's WHEN.  Not everything is inevitable.

LOL, what are we talking about here, fingers, dongs, gerbils, etc... I might be able to narrow the 'TIMEFRAME' for you. Smiley

But then by your own admission: "not everything is inevitable" would invalidate most Technical Analysis, welcome to the club.

Now, about those gerbils. Smiley

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 06:39:05 PM

Lemminwinks, GO TO THE SPARROW KING.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 11:44:00 PM

I think we're going to remain stable for a while.

Colors make me important, right?

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
muyuu (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 09:01:42 AM

By the way, isn't BTC remarkably stable lately? I thought it was going to be doom and gloom without Bitcoinica.Volume is decent too.

You have got to be kidding. Volume is in the Crapper.

Outside MtGox I'd say volume is even higher now than last month.

Which is great.

It is true that Gox's market share seems to be eroding.

We'd need time to see a trend. We definitely have less volume than last month in MtGox, and in other exchanges as far as I can see there's comparable volume or even better volume.

MtGox's volume chart is atrocious and seeing trends there is hard, partly because volume is dominated by peaks.

You can see the general trend here http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/mtgoxUSD_trades.html (2 months) and to see the peaks go to mtgox.com click on the upper chart and expand back the whole month. The volumen graph scale is terrible, starting in -10K for some reason despite there being no such thing as negative volume, but if you move your mouse over it and see numbers, you can get a general idea.

I have an account in Intersango and as far as I can see the bid-ask volumes are higher than last month. I check regularly but I cannot see a proper way to really compare. It would be very interesting to have this data and that of other exchanges so we could have a scientific measure of market liquidity outside of MtGox.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
muyuu (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 04:25:49 PM

This is pretty good at telling the story: http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

It does look good, but before accepting it as accurate, I'd like to know how do they calculate it and where do they get the data from...

So MtGox has a 20% lower market share than last year? in their page they claim "over 80%" with data being from July 2011.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
muyuu (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 04:42:56 PM

This is pretty good at telling the story: http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

It does look good, but before accepting it as accurate, I'd like to know how do they calculate it and where do they get the data from...

So MtGox has a 20% lower market share than last year? in their page they claim "over 80%" with data being from July 2011.

That's right. Gox's market share has slipped that much, mostly due to the volume it has lost from Bitcoinica going down.

Are you not familiar with Bitcoincharts?

The data comes from the API feeds from all these exchanges: http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/

Thanks. Are these APIs somewhat consistent? I knew the graphs, pretty much always in the first results from search engines, but I didn't know where they got the information from.

Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2012, 07:34:56 AM

I believe the user pirate, is using investor funds to manipulate the price and volatility. In his post, he drops subtle hints about how he does this. (using large walls either side of the spread to control the price)

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 03:08:54 PM

I believe the user pirate, is using investor funds to manipulate the price and volatility. In his post, he drops subtle hints about how he does this. (using large walls either side of the spread to control the price)

That's all fine-and-dandy if you can manage the risk.

It is also a good way to get bitten.

More evidence for you, chodpaba, suggesting MtGox is losing quite a bit of volume...the total number of bitcoins for sale is lower than I've seen it in months.  And I'll offer my own anecdote.  I no longer have any USD or Bitcoin in MtGox at all.  Nothing against MtGox.  I think it's one of the best bitcoin institutions right now, but I've recently moved from a trading mentality to one of saving and using bitcoins.  My great wish is that I'll never need to trade my bitcoins back into fiat currency and that eventually (I'm talking many, many years) I'll be able to easily buy most of what I like to buy with bitcoins instead of fiat.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 04:23:14 PM

More evidence for you, chodpaba, suggesting MtGox is losing quite a bit of volume...the total number of bitcoins for sale is lower than I've seen it in months.  And I'll offer my own anecdote.  I no longer have any USD or Bitcoin in MtGox at all.  Nothing against MtGox.  I think it's one of the best bitcoin institutions right now, but I've recently moved from a trading mentality to one of saving and using bitcoins.  My great wish is that I'll never need to trade my bitcoins back into fiat currency and that eventually (I'm talking many, many years) I'll be able to easily buy most of what I like to buy with bitcoins instead of fiat.

My current position is that it's better to buy bitcoins at any price rather than speculate - if the price goes down, buy more.
I chickened out with many of my bitcoins at $4.20 and then moved the $s to Bitcoinica - I could have kept them safely encrypted on my computer and just bought more to mitigate any dip in price.
Instead I'm now waiting in limbo.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 08:37:58 PM

My current position is that it's better to buy bitcoins at any price rather than speculate - if the price goes down, buy more.
I chickened out with many of my bitcoins at $4.20 and then moved the $s to Bitcoinica - I could have kept them safely encrypted on my computer and just bought more to mitigate any dip in price.
Instead I'm now waiting in limbo.

I guess I should have added that in addition to saving and using bitcoins, I'm also accumulating more.  Though, like you, I regret not doing this more over the past few months.  For a while I was accumulating some from buying back after sells I had made since the $7.2x top, but I hadn't put much new money in until a few weeks ago and I plan to buy some more in the coming days.  I definitely feel better now that my bitcoins are out of the exchanges and in offline and physically backed up wallets.  I was stung a little from this bitcoinica debacle, but thankfully I had enough good judgement to not put very much in there, though it'd be nice to get it back.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: