Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:47:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which of these bitcoin units do you NOT want to use?
µBTC / uBTC - 58 (35.2%)
bit - 47 (28.5%)
mBTC - 30 (18.2%)
satoshi - 26 (15.8%)
BTC - 4 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 101

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which of these bitcoin units do you NOT want to use?  (Read 7172 times)
Waramp22

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Bits are retarded.

Bitcoins and satoshis.

Why call .1btc different than what it is?!

The system is in need of a unit between the BTC and satoshi. BTC are very big and will only get bigger. A satoshi is VERY small. Imagine if in the US fiat currency only had $400 bills and pennies, it would be cumbersome to use.

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3864
Merit: 1237

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2014, 09:59:58 PM

Bits are retarded.

Bitcoins and satoshis.

The system is in need of a unit between the BTC and satoshi. BTC are very big and will only get bigger. A satoshi is VERY small. Imagine if in the US fiat currency only had $400 bills and pennies, it would be cumbersome to use.

Imagine if US fiat was digital currency and there was no bills.  You wouldn't call 1 dollar a Dol and 100 dollars a Lar. You'd call them $1 and $100 Tongue

I will say I like Bits more than some of the other options.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin.
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins every 10 minutes.
Waramp22

Activity: 321

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 10:34:39 PM

Bits are retarded.

Bitcoins and satoshis.

Imagine if US fiat was digital currency and there was no bills.  You wouldn't call 1 dollar a Dol and 100 dollars a Lar. You'd call them $1 and $100 Tongue

No, they would call a Dollar a Dollar and a Cent a Cent

With bitcoins current setup the value is going to be so high in 5-10 years only the wealthy will use the term "a bitcoin" when doing transactions. Dealing in only Satoshis for everything is not the best option for bitcoin because it is so small. Using a term for a millionth of a bitcoin allows us to drop 2 decimal places and make it more user friendly for the non tech savvy public. Satoshis will still be usefull in places like third world countries and tipping.

eg.
Used bike for sale 365 bits.
Used bike for sale 36500 satoshis.
Used bike for sale .00365000 bitcoin

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3864
Merit: 1237

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2014, 10:41:44 PM

Bits are retarded.

Bitcoins and satoshis.

No, they would call a Dollar a Dollar and a Cent a Cent

With bitcoins current setup the value is going to be so high in 5-10 years only the wealthy will use the term "a bitcoin" when doing transactions. Dealing in only Satoshis for everything is not the best option for bitcoin. Using a term for a millionth of a bitcoin allows us to drop 2 decimal places and make it more user friendly for the non tech savvy public.

eg.
Used bike for sale 365 bits.
Used bike for sale 36500 satoshis.
Used bike for sale .00365000 bitcoin

Whatever we got to do to sell it to the public I guess Tongue I'm not complaining! If it polls well with the non-adaptors... fuck it, lets push it.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin.
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins every 10 minutes.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2014, 10:59:51 PM

i want to see them all used!

R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 11:24:31 PM

Usage of “bits = 100 satoshis” still gives me headaches.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 11:30:15 PM

Bitcoin and mbtc is only what i use. Learned mbtc while counting the chips in online poker games lol they all talk in mbtc there.

Most of the relevant (non-dice) gambling sites refer to chips/units as mbtc/btm (0.001btc).  I will always consider 0.001btc as 1btm because of Dragon's Tale and Seals With Clubs.  Btc, btm, and sat/ksat/satoshi are all we need

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 11:31:26 PM

And it follows that 800 satoshis = 1 byte
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 12:03:52 AM

And it follows that 800 satoshis = 1 byte

How many satoshis is 1 kilobyte? 800000? Or 819200?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 04:42:38 AM

I don't ever want to use bits, I don't know why the use of it is being pushed so hard. I use btc, satoshi and mbtc, I don't see any reason to use any other units apart from these.

Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 04:50:53 AM

Me too. I want to use BTC, mBTC, uBTC, period. I may also use satoshi due to honorific reasons. Fuck the bits!

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 04:53:15 AM

Voted for the first option
Suprisingly a very high level of support against it
Although not sure if Mbtc and Ubtc were different measurements lol.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 04:59:57 AM

uBTC is way worse than others for me
mBTC sounds good, bits is ok, satoshi also ok
pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 10410

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 05:16:34 AM

i'm ok with using all of those but for smaller amounts i preffer using satoshies instead of uBTC. it is easier for me but for bigger amounts i prefer BTC like 0.002 BTC

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
KingOfTrolls (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 07:57:22 AM

The system is in need of a unit between the BTC and satoshi.

1000 sat = 1k sat = 1 ksat

Problem solved. Tongue

There is absolutely no need for 100-satoshi-sized units. 1000-satoshi-sized units (i.e. "ksat") are much more intuitive anyway.
Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 08:09:04 AM

Problem solved. Tongue

There is absolutely no need for 100-satoshi-sized units. 1000-satoshi-sized units (i.e. "ksat") are much more intuitive anyway.

Huh
If you are willing to use a 1 kSat you may keep using 10 uBTC. Have you heard about Occam's Razor lately?
 Wink

█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
SilenceDogreat

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 08:13:21 AM

So the underlying question is "what unit should we switch to now", correct?  
I'm a Bit hater for a few reasons...

1 - "Bits" would almost certainly be confused with "Bitcoins", because, why wouldn't they be?

2 - The name "Bit" + "Coin" was not chosen arbitrarily. Removing the "Coin" and terming them "Bits" seems to refer only to Binary Digits (and adds another layer of confusion... we should say 1 Bytecoin = .125 Bitcoins and really mess with 'em, huh?)

3 - At the current exchange rate, it seems an unnecessary leap to begin using the micro- metric (~ a fraction of a penny).

If we drop "Coin" for less syllables, "centibit" or "millibit" are much better candidates.
"I just bought 100 millibits for 40 bucks!" ... "I just bought 100,000 bits for 40 bucks!" is a little excessive.

Just my 2 centibits
KingOfTrolls (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 09:50:22 AM

Problem solved. Tongue

Huh
If you are willing to use a 1 kSat you may keep using 10 uBTC. Have you heard about Occam's Razor lately?
 Wink

The meaning of "k" is already understood by common people:

http://btc1k.com

The SI prefix "µ" (micro) in contrast, is a very nerdy, technical expression. It implies being something very small (as in "microscope"), and thus is subconsciously disliked by many people.

As a matter of fact, the human brain prefers to use multiples (like "k"), rather than fractions (like "µ").

I never used µBTC for precisely that reason, thus "keep using" is wrong wording anyway.

Occam's razor: "What is easier: Teaching the meaning of "µ" to common people, or using "k" instead, which is already understood by them?"
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 10:07:52 AM

'bit' is the most retarded choice as a name ever for anything.

It already has an established and extremely popular use with strong name recognition FOR SOMETHING ELSE. There is no chance it will ever work as a trademark or brand signifying anything else than whatever it already means in peoples heads.

We need some name that improves our brand recognition whenever we say the name and not diminishes our brand which is going to happen if we ever choose not to say the word bitcoin in any sentence where there is even half a chance to say the word bitcoin.
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 10:29:37 AM

The meaning of "k" is already understood by common people:

http://btc1k.com

The SI prefix "µ" (micro) in contrast, is a very nerdy, technical expression. It implies being something very small (as in "microscope"), and thus is subconsciously disliked by many people.

As a matter of fact, the human brain prefers to use multiples (like "k"), rather than fractions (like "µ").

I never used µBTC for precisely that reason, thus "keep using" is wrong wording anyway.

Occam's razor: "What is easier: Teaching the meaning of "µ" to common people, or using "k" instead, which is already understood by them?"

Maybe US is a place where people have not heard about SI prefixes for fractions. However where I come from the 'm' is in very common usage among ordinary people for small length measurements as in millimetres and small weight measurements as milligrams for example when buying medicine. I happen to look at a package of 600mg ibuprofen pills on my table.

The most unfortunate thing for 'µ' is that it cannot be easily be written with an ordinary keyboard and 'µ' is one that is not that well known.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: