Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:03:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake Mt. Gox emails  (Read 1467 times)
PrintCoins (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 05:38:40 PM

So I have received two baited emails in the last two days. I am only going to guess that the crackers are using the leaked db emails from the security failure in gox from a while back, and many other people should watch out for them.

Today's email:
Code:
info@mtgox.com via km33.hostsila.org 
11:29 PM (11 hours ago)
to me
Dear Mt.Gox user,

Your account is currently pending review, please visit https://mtgox.com/forms/verification
For those users who have had their accounts marked for review, an explanation of why were are implementing these security measures can be found here:

Security Measures Explained <-- (this links to a fake login at http://f3w4twfe.tmweb.ru/)

'Verified' Accounts are eligible for monthly/daily transaction limits of up to 5 times the monthly limit and 10 times the daily limit.

In order to apply for the 'Verified' account status please attach a copy of the following documents:
- Your government issued photo ID (passport, permanent residence card or drivers license) and
- A scan of either your monthly utility bill (power, phone, TV, gas, water, etc.) or a certificate of residency issued by your local government.

Thanks,
The Mt.Gox team

And yesterday's email (if you click the link it will bring you to a page which has an auto-download for a likely infected xls file):

Code:
info@ecurrencyinfo.net via carens.websitewelcome.com 
11:45 AM (22 hours ago)
to me

Invitation to ecurrency conference.

http://asiaelektronik.com/docs/processdl.html

Please let us know if you interested.

Thanks & Regards

I am sure they will send many more messages trying to infect my machine or reveal my gox password (amusingly I have never had any money in gox). Just watch out, and be suspicious of all emails.

If anyone feels semi-vigilantie, feel free to whois the domains and track down the ips to shut down these sites. I am a little geek-overloaded with other stuff today.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 06:21:05 PM

So I have received two baited emails in the last two days. I am only going to guess that the crackers are using the leaked db emails from the security failure in gox from a while back, and many other people should watch out for them.

Today's email:
Code:
to me
Dear Mt.Gox user,

Your account is currently pending review, please visit https://mtgox.com/forms/verification
For those users who have had their accounts marked for review, an explanation of why were are implementing these security measures can be found here:

Security Measures Explained <-- (this links to a fake login at http://f3w4twfe.tmweb.ru/)

'Verified' Accounts are eligible for monthly/daily transaction limits of up to 5 times the monthly limit and 10 times the daily limit.

In order to apply for the 'Verified' account status please attach a copy of the following documents:
- Your government issued photo ID (passport, permanent residence card or drivers license) and
- A scan of either your monthly utility bill (power, phone, TV, gas, water, etc.) or a certificate of residency issued by your local government.

Thanks,
The Mt.Gox team

And yesterday's email (if you click the link it will bring you to a page which has an auto-download for a likely infected xls file):

Code:
to me

Thanks & Regards

I am sure they will send many more messages trying to infect my machine or reveal my gox password (amusingly I have never had any money in gox). Just watch out, and be suspicious of all emails.

If anyone feels semi-vigilantie, feel free to whois the domains and track down the ips to shut down these sites. I am a little geek-overloaded with other stuff today.

Pretty much the leaked Database has become "The" mailing list when it comes to bitcoins. I've received my fair share of fake MtGox emails, spam, and typical newsletter/PSO mail.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 06:55:26 PM

I don't think so. I have my email in that leaked database and never ever got one of those  Undecided
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 07:11:32 PM

I don't think so. I have my email in that leaked database and never ever got one of those  Undecided

Same, receive no spam at my gmail, word.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 07:29:16 PM

Ah... Mistery solved. Gmail flushes them and they don't even reach the spam folder. Mine is a gmail also.
n0ne

Activity: 2562
Merit: 548

8ombard - Pick, Play, Prosper!

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 10:18:59 PM

I got one these. Phishing Reported! Cool

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
Mt.Gox_Natalie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 01:29:45 AM

Today's email:
Code:
to me
Dear Mt.Gox user,

Thanks,
The Mt.Gox team

Code:
to me

Thanks & Regards

Hello,

Thank you for the phishing report.  We have already reported this phishing site to have it shut down.  Thank you once again for the continued support to Mt.Gox.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 08:09:02 AM

Ah... Mistery solved. Gmail flushes them and they don't even reach the spam folder. Mine is a gmail also.

Just curious, how did you determine that Gmail deletes them automatically?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 08:54:03 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2012, 09:20:49 AM by psy

Just curious, how did you determine that Gmail deletes them automatically?

The same way Gmail determined that I should change my password 10 minutes after the leaked MtGox database got posted.
You really think it's a coincidence that everybody who's on the leaked database gets MtGox phishing emails, except Gmail users?
And, yes, I'm sure they're not in the spam folder because I have the terrible habit of checking it every day, so they must have been deleted.
Or will you go as far as saying that the phisher skips my email(and Clipse's for that matter) just because I'm a nice guy? lol
Also, it's not cost efective to send MtGox phishing emails to emails scraped from the web, or from a completely unrelated list as it will significantly increase exposure to spam filters, thus lowering inboxing rates, while having a very low hit rate of potential victims. I can understand if they do that with paypal phishing emails, but not with MtGox.

I always got bugged why wasn't I getting those emails, but now that I see other Gmail user confirming he doesn't get those emails also I just added 2+2.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 11:21:01 AM

Thread by theymos about the e-currency conference invitation email (don't know why it's hidden away in Off-Topic).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83496.0

It's a trojan, as per ZodiacDragon's post in the other thread.

Trojan.Generic.KDV.102762 is a trojan that captures keystrokes and steals login credentials through a method known as form grabbing. It sends captured data to a remote attacker and is capable of downloading additional malicious components.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83496.msg920797#msg920797

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: