Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:54:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How about a world wide collaborative blockchain paper backup?  (Read 3664 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 04:31:40 AM

My thoughts? Paper is far too fragile. Please encode it in a set of these: http://delkin.com/c-155602-archive-archival-gold-cd-r.html

Then let us know where you're keeping it in case we need it.
If that business isn't here in 300 years can we sue?

and what about laminating the paper and locking it in a (large) safe? wouldn't that last longer then digital data that is susceptible to EMI?

what about sending it out to space as radio-waves and once we can travel faster than light, go ahead of it and record.

Or just wait here and re-record it in 47 years when it bounces off that... *whatever* sending our signals back....

http://www.rimmell.com/bbc/news.htm

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:24:43 AM

Or just wait here and re-record it in 47 years when it bounces off that... *whatever* sending our signals back....

haha, awesome. so all we need to do is broadcast the blockchain (and new blocks) via radio, prefferrably using that vhf band?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 09:01:58 AM

haha, awesome. so all we need to do is broadcast the blockchain (and new blocks) via radio, prefferrably using that vhf band?

Yep. Earthlings now have a near-foolproof way to send messages to their planet 47 years into the future. Great for "boomerang backups", leaving behind informational time capsules, or just confusing the heck out of your descendents with fake news broadcasts.

Grin

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 10:21:23 AM

hehe I'm glad I made this thread..... Interesting backup ideas....
TobyGoodwin

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 10:52:50 AM

I hope everyone noticed the date on that link.  Smiley

Toby.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 11:28:54 AM

hehe I'm glad I made this thread.....

glad you did too.. that radio wave reflector has bounced back lost episodes of dr who. nice Smiley

so. now we need to make a commercial with the block chain embedded into it and broadcast it. promotes and preserves bitcoin at the same time.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 12:09:46 PM

hehe I'm glad I made this thread.....

glad you did too.. that radio wave reflector has bounced back lost episodes of dr who. nice Smiley

so. now we need to make a commercial with the block chain embedded into it and broadcast it. promotes and preserves bitcoin at the same time.

FFS, dude, that was an april fools hoax... Roll Eyes
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 04:26:04 PM

Just to clarify this is a seriously joking thread.... I'm very curious as to What happens if there is mass solar flare that wipes out the data of every computer? Who cares about the banks(hehe) right? What about Meh Bitcoinz!? So we should find some ways to back it up (that are practical) in the event this happens. Keep on throwing out crazy idears!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 04:31:21 PM

Just to clarify this is a seriously joking thread.... I'm very curious as to What happens if there is mass solar flare that wipes out the data of every computer? Who cares about the banks(hehe) right? What about Meh Bitcoinz!? So we should find some ways to back it up (that are practical) in the event this happens. Keep on throwing out crazy idears!
But if you think about it, anything that bad would be the end of civilization. Bitcoins, dollars, gold,... anything but food will be useless.

This team at Stanford have encoded a single bit into DNA that is inherited by the bacteria's descendants:

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-totally-rad-scientists-rewritable-digital.html

Ok, one bit does not a blockchain make but they hope to be able to store a whole byte in another decade.

Let's make a GMO llama with the blockchain in his DNA! And, can we name him Satoshi? Please!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 04:31:59 PM

Let's make a GMO llama with the blockchain in his DNA! And, can we name him Satoshi? Please!
Sounds like somebody's got an IPO in their future.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:04:29 PM

But if you think about it, anything that bad would be the end of civilization. Bitcoins, dollars, gold,... anything but food will be useless.

Why would you think that? AFAIK there would only be an affect on electronic/magnetic sensitive devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_flare#Hazards
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 06:09:13 PM

Why would you think that? AFAIK there would only be an affect on electronic/magnetic sensitive devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:14:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
Faraday cages only work if they are self powered in some way if anything breaks the seal of the cage its considered suspetible to EMI
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:29:10 PM

Faraday cages only work if they are self powered in some way...

I meant why would civilization end if only eletronic/magnetic affected devices were destroyed?

But your statement doesn't seem accurate either. A faraday cage appears to work based on conductive material.

From your wikipedia link:

In modern cleanroom packaging outer layers of static-dissipative polyester and polyethylene are wrapped around an inner layer of aluminum to create Faraday cages to protect static sensitive components such as PC Boards that travel long distances between manufacture and assembly.[3]

A booster bag (shopping bag lined with aluminum foil) acts as a Faraday cage. It is often used by shoplifters to steal RFID-tagged items

Some linemen wear Faraday suits, which allow them to work on live, high voltage power lines without risk of electrocution. The suit prevents electrical current from flowing through the body, and has no theoretical voltage limit. Linemen have successfully worked even the highest voltage (Kazakhstan's Ekibastuz–Kokshetau line 1150 kV) lines safely.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 07:08:47 PM

This team at Stanford have encoded a single bit into DNA that is inherited by the bacteria's descendants:

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-totally-rad-scientists-rewritable-digital.html

Ok, one bit does not a blockchain make but they hope to be able to store a whole byte in another decade.

wouldn't it have to be an aplaca?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 07:31:51 PM

I was assuming that atomic EMPs wipe out most of the worlds electronics. That would likely destroy the Internet for at least years, maybe forever. I guess in the example of a solar flare it would just be an interruption though.

And @molecular..
Damn! I did mean alpaca! Or most correctly an Alblocka.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 12:05:36 AM

I meant why would civilization end if only eletronic/magnetic affected devices were destroyed?

But your statement doesn't seem accurate either. A faraday cage appears to work based on conductive material.

In modern cleanroom packaging outer layers of static-dissipative polyester and polyethylene are wrapped around an inner layer of aluminum to create Faraday cages to protect static sensitive components such as PC Boards that travel long distances between manufacture and assembly.[3]

A booster bag (shopping bag lined with aluminum foil) acts as a Faraday cage. It is often used by shoplifters to steal RFID-tagged items

Some linemen wear Faraday suits, which allow them to work on live, high voltage power lines without risk of electrocution. The suit prevents electrical current from flowing through the body, and has no theoretical voltage limit. Linemen have successfully worked even the highest voltage (Kazakhstan's Ekibastuz–Kokshetau line 1150 kV) lines safely.

I could be wrong but i was under the impression a farday cage only works when completly sealed so the guy working on electrical wire sounds pluaseable however you must power the computer backups which must break out of the cage to run an electrical power to computer wallet backups. As intense emi can follow the power lines.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 12:28:25 AM

I could be wrong but i was under the impression a farday cage only works when completly sealed so the guy working on electrical wire sounds pluaseable however you must power the computer backups which must break out of the cage to run an electrical power to computer wallet backups. As intense emi can follow the power lines.

I misunderstood your original quote Tongue

You said Faraday cages only work if they are self powered, and I took that literally, as in the Faraday cage had to be self powered. But you were talking about computers running bitcoin Smiley
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 12:42:10 AM

I misunderstood your original quote Tongue

You said Faraday cages only work if they are self powered, and I took that literally, as in the Faraday cage had to be self powered. But you were talking about computers running bitcoin Smiley

Lol i did kind of write it wierd now that i look back at it. I was kind of suggesting solar power but i dont know enough about how farday cages work well enough to see how that would work.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 02:49:02 AM
Last edit: May 28, 2012, 02:07:19 PM by rjk

Lol i did kind of write it wierd now that i look back at it. I was kind of suggesting solar power but i dont know enough about how farday cages work well enough to see how that would work.
A Faraday cage or screen works by becoming the conductor of least resistance and spreading the charge around the cage/screen. The reason someone working with high tension wires needs one is because the voltage is so high that the air absorbs some of the charge, and a person contacting it would find themselves turned into a large current sink.

It would be unhealthy because the parts of the body that aren't on contact with the high tension wire would instead be in contact with the air, and the current flowing through the body from the wire to the air would be uncomfortable, at best. The Faraday cage/screen (in this example, a wire mesh suit) acts as a large antenna, conducting the residual and capacitive charges safely into the air bypassing the body because the suit is a better conductor of electricity.

A standard cage works in much the same way; it must be connected to a ground plane so that it can draw off any charges that are emitted by external influences. This is all in the context of high voltage charges, but radio and electromagnetic charges can be taken care of by a similar arrangement - however, the ground plane requirement is eliminated because the screen acts as a reflector, not a conductor.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: