Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:02:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Been locked out of primary account for over a week now  (Read 1750 times)
DingoRabiit (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 08:43:15 PM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Okay, so long story short I forgot the password to my primary account Fiyasko, needless to say I'd like to regain access to it, theymos seems to be ignoring me, the email system that sends recovery letters Does Not Work with accounts that have been renamed (or perhaps for some stupid reason just my account) It works just fine for others.
"why not just use the seceret question?" Because I set it way back when I thought bitcoin was going to be some stupid ponzi fad instead of the amazing global endeavour it is now
It's 10/28/2014
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJUT//gAAoJECj0GJmKDgINStkH/3cWHE3AezyaBXA1Om8fFBAB
nAZym22LhRE1CeFMZjwjm2degsI8GnWjGlWnHVxE2F4w6DZRE5qx9fbmxX22welj
HfLva/n8Vp4owxqcus0ArAPaUEpw4yRuLDjz6VQg64Fny0kqQvfwlyLmMREVHWPO
jK4zHii91SWtYvYhFZRdzxu2pB1TesssTyH2x8wfW/xnIivHXH4LkN1qvbFf4cZI
/RfLN1i+VG7iBWrSnngqTJg2I9r5rvTyKHGKhdJcgwcmGWaTDTTyPQTfYnCDpZPW
C3RIRlRX+RU8PwVpugeC8WYa7hhOVkiVc+d4uxP04krD43Ar9+q89wftaCN3ARM=
=Wn4I
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2014, 09:51:18 PM

You're supposed to sign the message with a bitcoin address, not a GPG key, though if you claimed ownership of the GPG key in a public post on your main account it should still work (I'm not sure if signatures count). Also, you need a link to the post from your main account with the address or GPG key in it; otherwise there's no way to verify the key is really yours.

For more information, see this thread (though I suspect you already have): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497545.0

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 12:55:39 AM

You're supposed to sign the message with a bitcoin address, not a GPG key, though if you claimed ownership of the GPG key in a public post on your main account it should still work (I'm not sure if signatures count). Also, you need a link to the post from your main account with the address or GPG key in it; otherwise there's no way to verify the key is really yours.

For more information, see this thread (though I suspect you already have): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497545.0
Actually theymos will accept a PGP signed message as it is just as secure as a signed bitcoin message (plus not all users will retain the private keys to every address they post)
Pkofet

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 02:23:45 AM

Actually you can find the following sentence in that thread.

"Typically, the only acceptable method of proving ownership is by signing a message (including current date and desired new email address) using a Bitcoin address or PGP key associated with the account."

Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 06:04:50 AM

Actually you can find the following sentence in that thread.

"Typically, the only acceptable method of proving ownership is by signing a message (including current date and desired new email address) using a Bitcoin address or PGP key associated with the account."

Whoops, missed that; it does make sense, since GPG is well-known security software (which is why I mentioned that it would likely be fine), but I forgot that it was actually in the post.

Also, upon re-reading the post, I noticed that it does mention signatures (emphasis mine):
Quote from: theymos link=topic=497545.msg5473531#msg5473531
A Bitcoin address or PGP key is associated with the account only if the account posted the key/address, sent it in a PM, or if it is still listed in the account's profile.

Since his Bitcoin-OTC link is still in his main account's signature (profile here, and it's listed under the username of the account he used to post here), the request should be fine as long as the GPG signature verifies (which I'm still figuring out how to check, I haven't worked with GPG much before). Usually I only see these posts from users who haven't bothered to look for the format, so this one is rather refreshing.

To the OP: Have you tried contacting theymos again times? He's said that he tends to drop requests if he can't get to them within a few days, and with the amount of PMs he probably gets I wouldn't be surprised if that happened a few times.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
DingoRabiit (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 06:22:38 AM

I've tried asking theymos many times, I never get a response.
My hope is that since my main account has a link to my OTC profile, and I can auth through that, that I could use that as proof of account ownership
Pkofet

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 06:53:42 AM

My hope is that since my main account has a link to my OTC profile, and I can auth through that, that I could use that as proof of account ownership

From the account recovery threads I found, it seems it is pretty hard to get theymos attention and response as it is a low priority stuff for him. The best you can do is resend the PM once in a while.

MultipliedCombo

Activity: 308

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 06:54:14 AM

You should only ask him once, and wait between 4 - 7 days. If he doesn't get back to you within that time, send him another one. He can get quite busy at times.

DingoRabiit (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 04:51:14 PM

*still locked out*
Theymos claims that the Email system is working just fine and that the problem is on my end...
Despite the fact that I have two accounts, one using hotmail.com the other using live.ca and the Live.ca CANNOT RECIEVE THE EMAIL FFS

It N-E-V-E-R shows up, there is N-O-T-H-I-N-G that appears, the system IS NOT WORKING for my renamed account *facedesk*
I'd really like to regain acess to my account, but theymos insists that the issue is on my end
NoPunIntended

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 05:10:02 PM

Yeah the first account I made I forgot password because it was made with random.org and I didn't write it down after I pressed create account. I've tried to resend a password reset to my account too but it never arrives after waiting a day or two now.

Hopefully theymos can force send one just in case the system isn't working correctly for some reason. Or yandex is not very friendly with simple machine forums.

Frustrating that I lost my account & loved the username so I had to make this one recently even more frustrating that I have access to the email linked to it Sad
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 05:34:51 PM

*still locked out*
Theymos claims that the Email system is working just fine and that the problem is on my end...
Despite the fact that I have two accounts, one using hotmail.com the other using live.ca and the Live.ca CANNOT RECIEVE THE EMAIL FFS

It N-E-V-E-R shows up, there is N-O-T-H-I-N-G that appears, the system IS NOT WORKING for my renamed account *facedesk*
I'd really like to regain acess to my account, but theymos insists that the issue is on my end
Check your spam folder. It is known that forum emails tend to always get caught by spam filters. If that doesn't work then try to list the forum as a safe domain in your email settings
DingoRabiit (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 03:48:52 PM

*still locked out*

Check your spam folder. It is known that forum emails tend to always get caught by spam filters. If that doesn't work then try to list the forum as a safe domain in your email settings
Been there done that
DingoRabiit (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 04:08:18 PM

*repeated headdesk* I Cannot regain access to the account because I never recieve the email!
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 05:07:00 PM

Finally! After hundreds of attempts and logging each attempt in a text file I figured out the answer for my secret question.
I am rather saddened that Theymos would not help me recover my account, and pretty much instructed me that the error was on my end

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: