Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:40:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] NamecoinToBind v3.0.5 : run a .bit DNS server !  (Read 2520 times)
khal (OP)

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 10:58:31 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 05:51:03 PM by khal

NamecoinToBind v3.0.5

NamecoinToBind is a php script that generates bind zones for .bit domains from the namecoin blockchain

* Improved compatibility with Domain spec V2 (alias and translate)
* Full rewrite of data import
* Uses new namecoin rpc commands (namecoin v3.50 required)
* Reduced RAM usage (5/20 MBs, except on first run to import all domains : 100MB)
* Faster to run (15/20s on first run, 2s else)
* Config file now supports several ip for the authoritative zone (useful with ipv6 for example)

Readme : https://github.com/khalahan/NamecoinToBind/blob/master/README
Download : https://github.com/khalahan/NamecoinToBind/zipball/v3.0.5

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sd

Activity: 730

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 07:34:32 PM

NamecoinToBind v3.0

NamecoinToBind is a php script that generates bind zones for .bit domains from the namecoin blockchain

* Improved compatibility with Domain spec V2 (alias and translate)
* Full rewrite of data import
* Uses new namecoin rpc commands (namecoin v3.50 required)
* Reduced RAM usage (5/20 MBs, except on first run to import all domains : 100MB)
* Faster to run (15/20s on first run, 2s else)
* Config file now supports several ip for the authoritative zone (useful with ipv6 for example)

Readme : https://github.com/khalahan/NamecoinToBind/blob/master/README
Download : https://github.com/khalahan/NamecoinToBind/zipball/v3.0.1

Great work!

The main branch isn't at 3.50. I assume this needs the khal ( your? ) branch at:

https://github.com/khalahan/namecoin.git

Is that branch considered stable?

Has anyone tried getting google or opendns to support .bit ? It would rock if getting access to .bit domains was as simple as using google's or opendns's nameservers.

NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 07:39:08 PM

Has anyone tried getting google or opendns to support .bit ? It would rock if getting access to .bit domains was as simple as using google's or opendns's nameservers.
I would think there would need to be more registrars and registered domains involved before that get into it.

[Sorta-off-topic]: I'm wanting to setup my own DNS server for this, how would I go about doing it? I've read the tutorials on the site, but doesn't get much detail on ports and stuff.

sd

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 07:42:17 PM

[Sorta-off-topic]: I'm wanting to setup my own DNS server for this, how would I go about doing it? I've read the tutorials on the site, but doesn't get much detail on ports and stuff.

That's very much on-topic. You run the php script at the top of this thread and it should generate a zone file you can feed to bind. If you don't know how to configure bind the o'reilly book DNS and Bind comes highly recommended.
NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 07:44:01 PM

That's very much on-topic. You run the php script at the top of this thread and it should generate a zone file you can feed to bind. If you don't know how to configure bind the o'reilly book DNS and Bind comes highly recommended.

Say I have other projects on that server (and on that IP for this case), would it lock the whole IP up or just use specific ports?
I also heard setting up a DNS server uses a bit of bandwidth which is why I'm thinking about renting a tiny VPS somewhere else just for testing.

sd

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 07:48:01 PM

Say I have other projects on that server (and on that IP for this case), would it lock the whole IP up or just use specific ports?
I also heard setting up a DNS server uses a bit of bandwidth which is why I'm thinking about renting a tiny VPS somewhere else just for testing.

DNS only uses port 53 but it uses both UDP and TCP. DNS uses a tiny amount of bandwidth. You won't even notice it unless you are on dial up.
sd

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 08:15:18 PM

NamecoinToBind v3.0

I can't get this to work. It pulls 2 or 3 domains then quits without giving any errors even though debug is on. It doesn't write any zone files.

It looks about as difficult to fix as it would be to rewrite so I'm giving up. Shame really. This looked like such a useful thing.

enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 08:21:37 PM

I'd love to set this up at a small business I work with but they're a Microsoft shop and I'll be honest and say I get DNS as a concept but I know little about the implementation - how hard would it be to make this work with a MS DNS server?
sd

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 08:47:03 PM

I'd love to set this up at a small business I work with but they're a Microsoft shop and I'll be honest and say I get DNS as a concept but I know little about the implementation - how hard would it be to make this work with a MS DNS server?

Assuming you can get the php to work it should just be a matter of reformatting the output and importing it, you might need to turn it into some LDIF like format.

Nobody sane uses a MS DNS server, certainly not to serve data to the Internet. It might be better to set this up on a Linux machine outside their network and query that.

khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 10:32:43 PM

Great work!

The main branch isn't at 3.50. I assume this needs the khal ( your? ) branch at:

https://github.com/khalahan/namecoin.git

Is that branch considered stable?

The main branch is uptodate : https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin
Last signed tag : nc0.3.50.01
My master repo is also stable.

We are currently in the process of a "peering agreement" with OpenNIC (not OpenDNS :p), so, it is a first step in the direction a being supported by opendns and google :p.

NamecoinToBind v3.0

I can't get this to work. It pulls 2 or 3 domains then quits without giving any errors even though debug is on. It doesn't write any zone files.

It looks about as difficult to fix as it would be to rewrite so I'm giving up. Shame really. This looked like such a useful thing.
I'll make some tests on a clean computer to be sure i've forgotten nothing in the README.
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 12:12:54 AM

Assuming you can get the php to work it should just be a matter of reformatting the output and importing it, you might need to turn it into some LDIF like format.

Nobody sane uses a MS DNS server, certainly not to serve data to the Internet. It might be better to set this up on a Linux machine outside their network and query that.

Fair enough, there are probably more/better general use instructions for bind anyway  Grin
khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2012, 09:30:48 AM

NamecoinToBind v3.0

I made a mistake in one config file (/etc/bind/named.conf.bit ), sorry.
Here is what it should look like :
Code:
// zones generated by users
zone "bit" { type master; file "/etc/bind/dotbit/db.namecoin.bit"; allow-query { any; }; allow-transfer { none; }; forwarders { }; };

I've also updated the code to show php errors in debug mode and set max memory to 200MB.
sd

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 08:06:10 PM

I made a mistake in one config file (/etc/bind/named.conf.bit ), sorry.
Here is what it should look like :
Code:
// zones generated by users
zone "bit" { type master; file "/etc/bind/dotbit/db.namecoin.bit"; allow-query { any; }; allow-transfer { none; }; forwarders { }; };

I've also updated the code to show php errors in debug mode and set max memory to 200MB.

After some more poking I got this to generate a zone file but it's only 547 lines long and none of my domains are listed. This appears to be skipping a huge number of domains. Maybe php isn't the right language to write this in.

I really don't get why namecoin uses 'ip' for 'A' records, 'ip6' for 'AAAA' records, 'alias' for 'CNAME' records. Why not just name these things the same way DNS does? After all this is aimed at DNS administrators isn't it?

khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 09:16:44 AM

After some more poking I got this to generate a zone file but it's only 547 lines long and none of my domains are listed. This appears to be skipping a huge number of domains. Maybe php isn't the right language to write this in.
I guess after all tests you've done that it has cached an incomplete list of names and tou got only new names.
Here is what i have (after cleaning the cache and launching once) :
Code:
ll cache/
total 2.1M
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 1.7M May 30 09:10 bind_tree_seri
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data  415 May 30 09:10 getinfo_seri
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 434K May 30 09:10 names_block_seri
Code:
ll /etc/bind/dotbit
total 1.4M
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data bind 1.1M May 30 09:10 db.namecoin.bit
Can you report any error you have on first launch (after a cache clean) ?

On which OS are you installing it ?

I really don't get why namecoin uses 'ip' for 'A' records, 'ip6' for 'AAAA' records, 'alias' for 'CNAME' records. Why not just name these things the same way DNS does? After all this is aimed at DNS administrators isn't it?
Maybe to be coherent with other keywords like tor, i2p, fingerprint and all other that don't have a DNS equivalent.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 11:02:18 AM

great work, watching...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 02:48:43 PM

A new update has been released : v3.0.4.

Some bugs fixed :p

Source :
https://github.com/khalahan/NamecoinToBind/archive/v3.0.4.zip
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:59:06 PM

Wow, a thread in the altcoin subforum which is not about a 5 days-old coin.
I nearly cried.

Anyway, nice work. I'm happy to see Namecoin is still developped.
I won't be able to test it soon though.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
ondratra

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:06:21 PM

are there any existing .bit domains you would recommend to visit?
virtualmaster

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:53:20 PM

are there any existing .bit domains you would recommend to visit?
http://dot-bit.org/Websites

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 05:54:12 PM

A new update has been released : v3.0.5.

- better support of aliases (support redirect to an existing domain : https://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4335#p4335)
- update bind config file to support malformed names (avoid one step during the install)

Source :
https://github.com/khalahan/NamecoinToBind/archive/v3.0.5.zip
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: