Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:34:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who here is shorting Moneros?  (Read 7509 times)
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 12:36:11 AM
Last edit: May 19, 2015, 02:40:42 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

Because you can now you know...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=753252.msg11415969#msg11415969

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TonyT

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 12:53:15 AM

And why?  Smiley

Why?  More like How?  I understand how shorting works in theory, but  has anybody actually tried to short BTC?  I'm having a hard time buying it, much less shorting it.  Any actual experiences appreciated.  Do the exchanges charge interest while you hold the short for example?

TonyT
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 12:59:36 AM

And why?  Smiley

Why?  More like How?  I understand how shorting works in theory, but  has anybody actually tried to short BTC?  I'm having a hard time buying it, much less shorting it.  Any actual experiences appreciated.  Do the exchanges charge interest while you hold the short for example?

This would have been my follow-up question...

Huh

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
segvec

Activity: 196

The cheddar breed jealousy

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 01:13:04 AM

I've shorted Bitcoin a few times.
I have developed a few patterns over the course of the past two years that have been working.

Not 100 percent but semi-decent accuracy.
When shorting, I'm talking 12-48 hours max.

▓▓▓▓   New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange            → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 01:16:04 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2015, 11:04:53 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

The idea just scares me. Especially so close to 'the bottom'

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 01:22:25 AM
Last edit: October 31, 2014, 01:39:10 AM by inBitweTrust

Why?  More like How?  I understand how shorting works in theory, but  has anybody actually tried to short BTC?  I'm having a hard time buying it, much less shorting it.  Any actual experiences appreciated.  Do the exchanges charge interest while you hold the short for example?

Here are 2 exchanges you can use to short Bitcoin-

https://www.bitfinex.com/
https://icbit.se/

I recommend all bears and Bitcoin haters to short the hell out of bitcoin while the rest of us buy.
Remember, Bitcoin is going to 0  Wink so be very aggressive with your shorts.

hascoin

Activity: 178

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 01:43:00 AM

I've shorted Bitcoin a few times too... Cool

Learnning blockchain  !
little tiger

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 04:04:19 AM

I've shorted Bitcoin a few times too... Cool

why want to short BTC?
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 04:12:41 AM

why want to short BTC?

Typically day traders who assume they have foresight into short term market direction. Most Bitcoin haters aren't confident enough in their convictions to short Bitcoin no matter how much I beg them. Many alt supporters who hate PoW are still heavily invested in BTC as well. They are just diversifying their portfolio with a risky investment (BTC) with an insanely risky investment(alt).

Mieehayii

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 04:36:09 AM

As long as exchange launched the short business, everyone was in short

But I never went to these exchanges

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███▀████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▀▄█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▄█▄▀████

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀█████
███          ▀███   ████████   ██    ▀█████████   ██           ▀████   █████
███   █████▄   ██   ████████   ██      ▀███████   ██   ██████▄   ███   █████
███   ██████   ██   ████████   ██   █▄   ▀█████   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███   █████▀   ██   ████████   ██   ███▄   ▀███   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███          ▄███   ▀██████▀   ██   █████▄   ▀█   ██   ███████▀   ██   █████
███   ▄▄▄▄▄███████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███   ███████▄      ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄███   █████
███   █████████████▄        ▄████   █████████▄    ██        ▄▄▄█████   █████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
.Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency.██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
[[[ Whitepaper    Twitter     Facebook]]]
[[[  Telegram      Medium     Youtube ]]]
ANTIcentralized

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 05:02:37 AM

I've shorted Bitcoin a few times.
I have developed a few patterns over the course of the past two years that have been working.

Not 100 percent but semi-decent accuracy.
When shorting, I'm talking 12-48 hours max.
I would say that trading altcoins is very risky as they tend to be very illiquid and can likely very easily be manipulated. I would also consider a loan bet for altcoins in general to be a short bet against bitcoin.
TonyT

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 08:41:44 AM

Why?  More like How?  I understand how shorting works in theory, but  has anybody actually tried to short BTC?  I'm having a hard time buying it, much less shorting it.  Any actual experiences appreciated.  Do the exchanges charge interest while you hold the short for example?

I recommend all bears and Bitcoin haters to short the hell out of bitcoin while the rest of us buy.

Do they allow naked shorts?  I bet not.  Meaning you must put up collateral of some sort, and they will give a margin call if the collateral drops below a certain margin?  Otherwise the exchanges are fools.

TonyT
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 09:00:17 AM

There are some good opertunities in alts in order to hedge against BTC going down.  I'm really excited about HUC franky Tongue

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
Hiraga

Activity: 178

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 09:15:43 AM

There are some good opertunities in alts in order to hedge against BTC going down.  I'm really excited about HUC franky Tongue

When BTC goes down most alts do not go up at all. It would be logic but it doesn't work like that. The prime example is LTC, it usually goes up and down with btc.
It's better to sit in fiat and buyback lower, but I think it's time for btc to go up a lot next few months.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 09:17:16 AM

Do they allow naked shorts?  I bet not.  Meaning you must put up collateral of some sort, and they will give a margin call if the collateral drops below a certain margin?  Otherwise the exchanges are fools.

You put up bitcoins as collateral. If the price falls below the margin you lose your bitcoins. Bitfinex has been around for several years. I have loaned bitcoins to people shorting, it is one of the few ways to make interest on your bitcoins with very little risk.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 09:36:14 AM

I bought some LTC some time, end of December. The value doubled overnight. I sold them all. The value of LTC is now very low, and I don't think it's going back up to it's previous levels any time soon. That would be a long term investment which I'm not willing to take right now.

BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 09:51:03 AM

Dicers all like HUC Cheesy  What's up with that?

ScryptAsic

Activity: 647

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 08:19:13 AM

You put up bitcoins as collateral. If the price falls below the margin you lose your bitcoins. Bitfinex has been around for several years. I have loaned bitcoins to people shorting, it is one of the few ways to make interest on your bitcoins with very little risk.
I would say that this setup would involve you having a EV positive return, however there is still a chance of you losing money if the price moves too quickly against the parties that are borrowing your bitcoin too quickly, as you could potentially lose a good amount of the amount borrowed.
mbaeichapareiko

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:25:39 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2014, 09:55:23 AM by mbaeichapareiko

bitshares allows you to bet against btc by exchanging your btc for bitusd, bit gold or bityuan,  other assets against btc.

you can sell bitbtc short.

Of course at this time,  with the usd on a strong bull run , the best bet would be to buy bitusd and sell bitbtc short.

All this is possible on bitshares platform.  the only thing is if you are short btc and the price rises, you may be forced to cover your short with bts.   bts = bitshares.
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:34:39 AM

bitshares allows you to bet against btc by exchanging your btc for bitusd, bit gold or bityuan,  other assets against btc.

you can sell bitbtc short.

Of course at this time,  with the usd on a strong bull run , the best bet would be to buy bitusd and sell bitbtc short.

All this is possible on bitshares platform.  the only thing is if you are short btc and the price rises, you may be forced to cover your short with bts.   bts = bitshares.

I considered the bitusd thing. But it felt so unBitcoin Embarrassed

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: