Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:16:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Latin question  (Read 1694 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12985

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 02:26:11 AM

I was thinking of naming a Bitcoin organization "Lunae Libertas", which I intend to have a meaning similar to "Lunar Liberty", but I don't know any Latin. Is this correct?

The idea is that the organization will (in part) work to ensure that we'll still have liberty in the Bitcoin ecosystem once we've gotten "to the moon!!!".

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 02:26:37 AM

Sounds correct.
ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 03:01:22 AM

lunaris Libertas
MadZ

Activity: 908
Merit: 657

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 03:06:08 AM

"Lunae Libertas" would be a correct translation. "Lunae" is the genitive of "Luna" (moon), which makes the translation literally come out to "Liberty of the moon". Personally, I would switch the word order to "Libertas Lunae", since the order can be either way and I think it sounds better this way.

Source: took Latin for 3 years
Decksperiment

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 04:00:23 AM

Justy had to say this: Loony liberty, pmsl...  Grin
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 09:50:55 AM

"Lunae Libertas" would be a correct translation. "Lunae" is the genitive of "Luna" (moon), which makes the translation literally come out to "Liberty of the moon". Personally, I would switch the word order to "Libertas Lunae", since the order can be either way and I think it sounds better this way.

Source: took Latin for 3 years

Seens more that you took 3 minutes of google translate.
But translating back and forth, seens correct "Lunae Libertas".

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 05:35:15 PM

I suggest depicting a bester Latin Terrier - one staring wistfully at the moon - to serve as Libertas Lunae's mixti mascot. I'm sure that the Latine loqui will come natural, but if not we'll be here for you.

multo infinitum
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:19:02 AM

Gronthaing
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:11:50 AM

I was thinking of naming a Bitcoin organization "Lunae Libertas", which I intend to have a meaning similar to "Lunar Liberty", but I don't know any Latin. Is this correct?

The idea is that the organization will (in part) work to ensure that we'll still have liberty in the Bitcoin ecosystem once we've gotten "to the moon!!!".

I won't pretend to know Latin, but I'm curious about the organization itself. I take it that liberty there means being free to use our coins however we choose without too much interference. But what methods are going to be used? Lobbying? Or something more esoteric, like the Bitcoin Island that was going around some time ago (which I doubt would realistically help Smiley).
railzand

Activity: 462

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:30:58 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2014, 09:45:47 AM by railzand

It's more like Lunaris Libertas or Libertas Lunaris, as mentioned above.

lunae - the genitive of luna - would mean the moon's own liberty

whereas lunaris - the adjective of luna - means moonly, or lunar, or associated with the moon

so libertas lunaris means the freedom associated with the moon or freedom on the moon

(railz did Latin from 10-18 yrs)

Ilsk
Legendary

Activity: 833
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 12:07:17 PM

I think it's more like Lunaris Libertas.

Libertas it's feminine singular, the adjective must be feminine singular too, so it's correct Lunaris, not Lunae that it's not even ad adjective but it's just the genitive of Luna.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 12:11:05 AM

I think it's more like Lunaris Libertas.

Libertas it's feminine singular, the adjective must be feminine singular too, so it's correct Lunaris, not Lunae that it's not even ad adjective but it's just the genitive of Luna.

In the spirit of Latin America...

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 04:28:50 AM

If this is supposed to be a serious thing you better ask a professional i.e. a teacher. It would be a shame if you made a mistake in the name and be forever known as a failed liberty organization Cheesy

On topic: I took some latin in my time and Lunae Libertas would translate into Moon's Freedom or Freedom of the Moon, just as Dies Lunae is the day of the moon.

I'm a self-certified professional.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 06:01:39 AM

It depends on what meaning of "Lunar Liberty" you want.

If you mean "Liberty of the moon", use genative: Lunae Libertas
If you mean "In moon there is liberty", should be ablative: In Luna Libertas (poetically "Luna Libertas")
If you mean "Moon-ly Liberty", should use nominative of lunaris: Lunaris Libertas

Haven't touched latin for more than 10 years, could be wrong...
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 06:36:45 AM

It depends on what meaning of "Lunar Liberty" you want.

If you mean "Liberty of the moon", use genative: Lunae Libertas
If you mean "In moon there is liberty", should be ablative: In Luna Libertas (poetically "Luna Libertas")
If you mean "Moon-ly Liberty", should use nominative of lunaris: Lunaris Libertas

Haven't touched latin for more than 10 years, could be wrong...

It'll have to jive with the following, perhaps a phrase not touched upon yet:

Ergo, first contrive the entire phrase best suited per the request, working backward to extracting a two-word term that'll reflect the brand [bearing in mind that a Latin American chihuahua is being considered as its mascot accompanied with its such-wow Latinize huahua-speak].
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12985

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 02:52:22 AM

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I might go with "Libertas Lunae" even if it maybe doesn't exactly match the meaning I intend. Luna/Lunaris don't sound quite as good IMO.

I haven't fully developed the idea of what I'd want the organization to do or look like. It might do one of these things:
- Hold some of the forum's BTC as a separate entity to improve the forum's decentralization. It might also use some of this money to help Bitcoin development (and other such things).
- Legally own the bitcointalk.org and maybe bitcoin.it domain names while remaining somewhat separate from their operation, again to improve decentralization. It might also collect donations as a non-profit corporation and use this to help Bitcoin development (and other such things).
- Act as a "competitor" to the Bitcoin Foundation in some areas.

Those are just some ideas of things that I've been thinking an organization might be needed for. But I still need to think about it more.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 08:19:46 AM

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I might go with "Libertas Lunae" even if it maybe doesn't exactly match the meaning I intend. Luna/Lunaris don't sound quite as good IMO.

I haven't fully developed the idea of what I'd want the organization to do or look like. It might do one of these things:
- Hold some of the forum's BTC as a separate entity to improve the forum's decentralization. It might also use some of this money to help Bitcoin development (and other such things).
- Legally own the bitcointalk.org and maybe bitcoin.it domain names while remaining somewhat separate from their operation, again to improve decentralization. It might also collect donations as a non-profit corporation and use this to help Bitcoin development (and other such things).

Those are just some ideas of things that I've been thinking an organization might be needed for. But I still need to think about it more.

Or, just say fuck it and move to tHeymos iSland.  Grin
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 09:18:18 AM

"Libertas Lunae" can also mean "(give) liberty to the moon", if that is what you are looking for.

I really like the sound of that  Grin
railzand

Activity: 462

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 10:15:56 AM

"Libertas Lunae" can also mean "(give) liberty to the moon", if that is what you are looking for.

I really like the sound of that  Grin

Yes. Let a thousand Bitcoin Foundations flourish: http://therealbitcoin.org/

omnidoge

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 01:02:05 PM

Great for a tattoo piece.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: