Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:34:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A message to all those involved in the BlockNET debacle  (Read 3207 times)
BTCDDev (OP)

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 06:16:17 PM

First let me say that these views are entirely my own, as I can only speak for myself.

Anyone who invested a considerable amount financially in this mess did not properly do his homework. Whether or not the developers of BlockNET are part of a pump group just playing their usual games remains to be seen. However, their behavior shows that whether or not they are, they have behaved in a very unethical manner. 

I have worked closely with jl777 (James) for several months on SuperNET, mainly on integrating it into the BitcoinDark core. I have watched this project grow and currently we have over 5 dozen great people involved, from testers to technical writers, to radio djs.

BlockNET was first announced and billed as "The internet of blockchains". (jl777's signature in the SuperNET forum is "SuperNET is to cryptocurrencies as the internet is to websites") This idea is taken almost completely from the SuperNET. In addition, ideas like distributed file storage (already working in the SuperNET API) have been announced as coming to BlockNET, and even the structure of SuperNET's ipo has been emulated by BlockNET. To date, BlockNET has released 0 lines of original code, as compared to the tens of thousands of lines we have worked so hard on these past months. This code is available for public viewing at github.com/jl777/btcd. (Analysis and review is very welcome)

BlockNET has claimed that their protocol will be true p2p and has even claimed that SuperNET is not. SuperNET uses kademlia distributed hash tables, the same as bittorrent. The BlockNET devs are effectively claiming that BitTorrent is not a peer to peer system. 

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and we at SuperNET certainly encourage free and open competition. However, I am discouraged to see our imitators blatantly misleading their investors. 

The SuperNET announcement thread on this forum was immediately moved to the marketplace, while the BlockNET thread has been allowed to remain in announcements. Many more news outlets have reported on BlockNET, and bittrex is helping host their ito. Whether this is indicative of a wider conspiracy against SuperNET and anything NXT-related is up for debate, but it certainly leads to some troubling questions. SuperNET's initial marketing was low key by design, but the resistance we have felt from the larger crypto community has been unexpectedly strong. It seems that new ideas with active developers are being fought. This is a disease that must be rooted out in this community!

In the end, however, I am not worried. It is my contention that superior technology will always win, and that the long term market will always choose the strongest competitor. Crypto is a vibrant and exciting world, we all need to remember to keep pushing the boundaries of what is possible daily. 

Matthew

BitcoinDark: RPHWc5CwP9YMMbvXQ4oXz5rQHb3pKkhaxc
Top Donations: juicybirds 420BTCD ensorcell 84BTCD Stuntruffle: 40BTCD
Top April Donations: juicybirds 420BTCD; ensorcell: 42BTCD
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
UnicornFarts

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 06:24:29 PM

Whether this is indicative of a wider conspiracy against SuperNET and anything NXT-related is up for debate, but it certainly leads to some troubling questions.

I'll just start by saying that I'm no fan of the SuperNET.  From what I can understand of the concept it is much more like a decentralized exchange in each coin wallet than anything (might be misunderstanding)

But on the news reporting outlets I'll say this.  XCurrency (the guys behind Blocknet) have their coin routinely pumped / reported on by crypto magazines when there is little report since there is no open source to prove that their coin is actually doing what they say it is.  Plus no other anonomous closed sourced (let that sink in) gets pushed like they do in the coin reporting magazines.

Interesting fact ... they named their coin originally after the algo Darkcoin invented (http://www.x11coin.org)  They setup their reward nodes and even copied the amount (1,000) from Dark to try and drive their prices up.  And anyone with half a brain could see their project was a blatant ripoff of yours.

They are good at copying other people's shit then getting in the bitcoin alt articles.

I think it's more about them being in bed with the right PR guys than people hating on the SuperNET.  BlockNET has also (thankfully) run into more resistance than the SuperNET did.  Probably because they rushed it out as fast as possible to avoid as many questions as possible and grab the money fast.  It was very timed.
simplecrypto

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 09:04:33 PM

I disliked Supernet from the start because I knew this was going to open the doors for ICOs (actually Ethereum started it all to do ICOs in grand scale). Ethereum and VB have posted a lot of technical documentation to go with their marketing however and VB is a real techie and some of his blog posts are phenomenal.

Hopefully the blocknet scam implodes and serves as an example of what not to do. We really need some mod intervention when it comes to selling ICOs (securities) or whatever they want to call it. It should not be allowed period.
RichardT

Activity: 391

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 10:06:16 PM

Thanks for posting this, BTCDDev.  I think it clears up some of the misconceptions. 
CryptoGuu

Activity: 321

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 03:23:37 PM

well said and simply true.
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 04:25:15 PM

Given all the hoopla, I hope this thing works out for the best for anyone/everyone involved.  Given how alts work, it's crazy how ORGANIZED FUD causes so much panic.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 04:34:55 PM

Given all the hoopla, I hope this thing works out for the best for anyone/everyone involved.  Given how alts work, it's crazy how ORGANIZED FUD causes so much panic.

oh yeah i hope it works out for million dollar scammers too  Roll Eyes

you know how sickening it saying that when some guys have already lost money on Blocknet ?
that is a slap in their face !

i bet you rooted for Mark from GOX too eh ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
Edward Snowden

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

leaking all info

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 06:35:25 PM

Given all the hoopla, I hope this thing works out for the best for anyone/everyone involved.  Given how alts work, it's crazy how ORGANIZED FUD causes so much panic.

oh yeah i hope it works out for million dollar scammers too  Roll Eyes

you know how sickening it saying that when some guys have already lost money on Blocknet ?
that is a slap in their face !

i bet you rooted for Mark from GOX too eh ?

Ok this coming from SDC's whales paid troll. "I get tips and their piling up" FFS

Got secrets? Tell me!
g0re79

Activity: 476

I´ve got a picture! Haha!

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 09:11:02 AM

In the end, however, I am not worried. It is my contention that superior technology will always win, and that the long term market will always choose the strongest competitor. Crypto is a vibrant and exciting world, we all need to remember to keep pushing the boundaries of what is possible daily.
Well... remember Betamax? Anyway I am quite sure that Blocknet is driven by bunch of pumpsters, maybe as last attempt to squeeze final drops from dying crap coins.

Don´t deal with crappy shitcoins and stop wasting electricity
Support real science instead
[/url]
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 12:57:44 PM

Agreed scammers - copied Dark with x11coin as it's original name. Their mixer now copies drk 1000 requirement and now copying supernet.

Xc team still hasn't even released a single stable version of their wallet.
Xmixer is buggy and closed source. Xchat is buggy. No code reviews. Team promised that blocknet would in no way shift focus away from Xc.

Wonder what idea they will copy next. Xfertilizer or Xcannibis. Backed by real assets ICO.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 01:02:15 PM

Well... remember Betamax? Anyway I am quite sure that Blocknet is driven by bunch of pumpsters, maybe as last attempt to squeeze final drops from dying crap coins.

i posted a link to Bobsurplus supposedly planning on Pumping it and not 1 of you cared or said a word.. more than once i might add.

apathy boys & girls no one gove two fucks LOL

lets just say fuck it and have a big scammy free for all why even bother anymore ?
let's just number them.. token scheme #100 then #101 and so on...
why waste all this effort about gimmicks and excuses if no one REALLY cares about them ?

blah blah blah.. Lambo'z

FUD first & ask questions later™
reRaise

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 01:07:26 PM

copied Dark with x11coin as it's original name.

And dark copied quarks 6 and qubitcoins 5 hashing functions, nothing wrong with copying an idea and giving your own twist to it, happens all the time
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 01:38:06 PM

quark

Dunno why but I chortle every time I see quark mentioned.
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:01:44 PM

Ok this coming from SDC's whales paid troll. "I get tips and their piling up" FFS

I think he meant 'tips' of the information kind, not monetary.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
cloudboy

Activity: 690
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:54:07 PM

Good post, it's very true.
ib88

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 03:40:00 PM

First let me say that these views are entirely my own, as I can only speak for myself.

Anyone who invested a considerable amount financially in this mess did not properly do his homework. Whether or not the developers of BlockNET are part of a pump group just playing their usual games remains to be seen. However, their behavior shows that whether or not they are, they have behaved in a very unethical manner.

I have worked closely with jl777 (James) for several months on SuperNET, mainly on integrating it into the BitcoinDark core. I have watched this project grow and currently we have over 5 dozen great people involved, from testers to technical writers, to radio djs.

BlockNET was first announced and billed as "The internet of blockchains". (jl777's signature in the SuperNET forum is "SuperNET is to cryptocurrencies as the internet is to websites") This idea is taken almost completely from the SuperNET. In addition, ideas like distributed file storage (already working in the SuperNET API) have been announced as coming to BlockNET, and even the structure of SuperNET's ipo has been emulated by BlockNET. To date, BlockNET has released 0 lines of original code, as compared to the tens of thousands of lines we have worked so hard on these past months. This code is available for public viewing at github.com/jl777/btcd. (Analysis and review is very welcome)

BlockNET has claimed that their protocol will be true p2p and has even claimed that SuperNET is not. SuperNET uses kademlia distributed hash tables, the same as bittorrent. The BlockNET devs are effectively claiming that BitTorrent is not a peer to peer system.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and we at SuperNET certainly encourage free and open competition. However, I am discouraged to see our imitators blatantly misleading their investors.

The SuperNET announcement thread on this forum was immediately moved to the marketplace, while the BlockNET thread has been allowed to remain in announcements. Many more news outlets have reported on BlockNET, and bittrex is helping host their ito. Whether this is indicative of a wider conspiracy against SuperNET and anything NXT-related is up for debate, but it certainly leads to some troubling questions. SuperNET's initial marketing was low key by design, but the resistance we have felt from the larger crypto community has been unexpectedly strong. It seems that new ideas with active developers are being fought. This is a disease that must be rooted out in this community!

Matthew

Wow. Your whole post smacks of jealousy and spite. If this is representative of the views of the people involved in supernet and BTCD then I'd be very wary of investing in your project. You come across as being scared of a little competition - you can't own an idea. The idea of the Blocknet might be the same but their implementation is different. Myspace & Facebook, Microsoft & Apple etc. - the same idea implemented in different ways happens in every single industry. It's what drives competition and ultimately improves the service/product. You say you welcome competition but your entire post contradicts this. If you were at all confident in supernet's potential to be a success you wouldn't feel the need to attack Blocknet so vehemently.

There's no basis for this conspiracy theory of yours either. "Blocknet thread in announcements and supernet's not" - What's this got to do with Blocknet? Are you saying Blocknet's influence extends to BCT adminstrators and how they run their forum?! "Many more news reported on Blocknet, and bittrex is hosting the ITO" - Again are you implying that Blocknet has control over all these media outlets and what they publish, and control over  what bittrex does?! I don't see how Blocknet's superior marketing strategy can be seen as negative. And the idea behind all this is motivated with the sole intention of taking attention away from supernet, is that what you think? Really?? Come on man, take off the tin-foil hat.

cassius69

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 04:29:26 PM

the blockchain of shitcoins

cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 06:03:03 PM

Wow. Your whole post smacks of jealousy and spite.

Easy to say, not so easy to actually prove when you consider that Supernet actually has tech and an investment portfolio backing it while Blocknet, well, they've got marketing guys.

I'm still trying to find what Blocknet is claiming it could do that Supernet can't.

. . . asides from blow it's own trumpet, that is.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
Don Flamenco

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 01:21:23 AM

Full disclosure, I own ZERO blocknet tokens. 

BlockNET was first announced and billed as "The internet of blockchains". (jl777's signature in the SuperNET forum is "SuperNET is to cryptocurrencies as the internet is to websites") This idea is taken almost completely from the SuperNET.

Saying they ripped your slogan off to come up with theirs is just retarded.  "Wah, they stole our headline!"  Really?

To date, BlockNET has released 0 lines of original code, as compared to the tens of thousands of lines

No one said they have released any code.  The project is just starting and doesn't have a completion date until 2015.  It's not like they said they are close to completion. Anyone investing knows they haven't done anything yet.

However, I am discouraged to see our imitators blatantly misleading their investors.

How?  Specifically.

they have behaved in a very unethical manner.

Again, how?  Specifically.

The SuperNET announcement thread on this forum was immediately moved to the marketplace, while the BlockNET thread has been allowed to remain in announcements.

I think you should cry about it.  Oh...right.  That's what this post is.

Many more news outlets have reported on BlockNET

That sounds like a problem with your marketing team.  Seriously, pay people to write articles, it's not that hard.  Using this excuse to try to make it seem like there is this conspiracy against you is stupid.

Many more news outlets have reported on BlockNET, and bittrex is helping host their ito.

Bittrex will host anything for a few bitcoins.  Anyone who drums up conspiracy because Blocknet was supported and you aren't reeks of jealousy.

In the end, however, I am not worried.

Making this post shows otherwise.  If you weren't worried, you'd be concentrating on your own project instead of trying to bring down someone else's.
Hornsen

Activity: 29

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 11:15:25 AM

Man people are dumb.

BlockHeads  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: