Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:14:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Bitcoin Never increases in "Value"?  (Read 4565 times)
bitcoinbot (OP)

Activity: 357
Merit: 130

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:25:54 PM

When valued against USD or GBP.

I know a lot of people believe it's gonna go to the moon.. or at least rise steadily into the 1000's of dollars and a lot of people believe it's a Ponzi scheme which will eventually leave Bitcoin worthless but what if Bitcoin does nothing, it just sticks around the £200 - £250 mark forever?

axel2078

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:28:46 PM

Why do people think it's a Ponzi scheme?  Isn't the whole point of a ponzi scheme that it is centralized? Bitcoin is decentralized and no one owns it or manages it.

MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:29:34 PM

When valued against USD or GBP.

I know a lot of people believe it's gonna go to the moon.. or at least rise steadily into the 1000's of dollars and a lot of people believe it's a Ponzi scheme which will eventually leave Bitcoin worthless but what if Bitcoin does nothing, it just sticks around the £200 - £250 mark forever?

It certainly would make it more usable!  If I buy some bitcoins today and dont get them for 4 business days (I usually use coinbase) I could end up with 10-25% less buying power.  If price stabilizes, I think it ultimately would be good, although a lot of people are here ONLY cause they think the price will go back up
Orangina

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:30:27 PM

and now ... suddenly got paranoid  Cry seriously , each time I decide & say "I will just buy 1-2 BTC & hold them, I'am pretty sure the price will rise" ... then I found simillar thread like yours  Cry

Anyway , idk I guess it's a good thing if it get stable value but I would like to see the price rising & rising to earn some money
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 07:32:06 PM

My attitude is that 999 trillion topics about this subject are...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
over1977v

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:34:30 PM

what if Bitcoin does nothing, it just sticks around the £200 - £250 mark forever?

It would mean Bitcoin is slowly losing value at the same rate as GBP.

Did you ever saw stable USD versus GBP, and these currencies have very high trading daily volume.
bitcoinbot (OP)

Activity: 357
Merit: 130

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:36:55 PM

My attitude is that 999 trillion topics about this subject are...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

True but I didn't read the other 999 trillion threads.

I have another question. irrelevant what happens to the price in 10 years time will still have to buy bitcoin with fiat or can I buy bitcoin another way?
Harvey Specter

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:41:32 PM

What if? Well a lot of people will lose some money but a lot of people will be disappointed that this revoultionay system didn't work.
totemITnow

Activity: 131

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:42:22 PM

I have another question. irrelevant what happens to the price in 10 years time will still have to buy bitcoin with fiat or can I buy bitcoin another way?

I guess normal people could just earn Bitcoins instead of local currency in ten years.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 07:53:02 PM

Why do people think it's a Ponzi scheme?  Isn't the whole point of a ponzi scheme that it is centralized? Bitcoin is decentralized and no one owns it or manages it.

stock market is a bigger Ponzi scheme Wink

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 08:00:15 PM

yes you can buy bitcoin with ANTHING.

infact overstock right now buys bitcoins by handing people goods and products
infact dell right now buys bitcoins by handing people computers
alpaca socks buys bitcoins by handing people socks
foodler buys bitcoins by handing people fast food.

if you are a business selling products, you too can buy bitcoins, not with fiat but by handing people your goods and they hand you bitcoins.

a future vision many people have is that at some point grocery stores will swap bread, milk and toilet paper for bitcoin and pay their staff in bitcoin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 08:41:47 PM

and in turn sells bitcoins for fiat.  so essentially just more selling of bitcoins
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 11:22:27 PM

I don't really care if it doesn't rise in value. As long as it doesn't drop in value I'm good.
If it goes down to $1 then I'll be sad, but then happy as I can buy more than 1 btc. Smiley
theblacksquid

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 11:43:27 PM

and in turn sells bitcoins for fiat.  so essentially just more selling of bitcoins

Overstock actually holds a portion of their BTC profits. (can't remember the actual % rate)

Support Decentralized Commerce - OpenBazaar.org
Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
theblacksquid

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 11:47:03 PM

Also, if/when BTC's price finally stabilizes, more people would actually use it more for day-to-day transactions, and those who are getting/going to be hit with "negative interest rates" at banks and countries with seriously mismanaged currencies (Zimbabwe, Argentina) will turn to Bitcoin as a store of value.

Cryptowatch.com

Activity: 196
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 11:53:29 PM

This cannot be said often enough:

- The value of a single Bitcoin is no indication of the value of the Bitcoin technology. If the USD/BTC rate is 1 or 1000, it does not really matter. What matters is the fact that you can use Bitcoins to purchase services and goods. And you could also use it to store value, with no 100% guarantees of course.

The fact that some people want their bitcoins to increase in value in relation to traditional fiat currencies, means they might be more concerned with their personal wealth, than contributing to the bitcoin system as a whole. This is not surprising, as human nature is largely egoistical.

Personally I think regression or standstill is preferred, as that keeps the noise down, once a lot of people starts to have dollars in their eyes, we get to experience a circus again.

My advice would be to stay patient, as traditional governments and financial institutions are gradually failing. Learn about bitcoin, and the implications it has for humanity, instead of only thinking of increasing of your personal wealth by buying bitcoins, doing nothing, and hoping they will increase in value, so you can cash them out in the failing dollar.

If you want to make bitcoin work for you, start offering something and get bitcoins in return.
theblacksquid

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 12:00:31 AM

This cannot be said often enough:

- The value of a single Bitcoin is no indication of the value of the Bitcoin technology. If the USD/BTC rate is 1 or 1000, it does not really matter. What matters is the fact that you can use Bitcoins to purchase services and goods. And you could also use it to store value, with no 100% guarantees of course.

The fact that some people want their bitcoins to increase in value in relation to traditional fiat currencies, means they might be more concerned with their personal wealth, than contributing to the bitcoin system as a whole. This is not surprising, as human nature is largely egoistical.

Personally I think regression or standstill is preferred, as that keeps the noise down, once a lot of people starts to have dollars in their eyes, we get to experience a circus again.

My advice would be to stay patient, as traditional governments and financial institutions are gradually failing. Learn about bitcoin, and the implications it has for humanity, instead of only thinking of increasing of your personal wealth by buying bitcoins, doing nothing, and hoping they will increase in value, so you can cash them out in the failing dollar.

If you want to make bitcoin work for you, start offering something and get bitcoins in return.

*THUMBS UP*

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 12:02:22 AM

* TheButterZone offers fucktons of somethings, gets bitcoins in return, that almost always drop in value relative to the somethings

If anyone's wondering how that ^ happened, bitcointalk takes
Code:
/me
and formats the text following it like an IRC message.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
busterroni

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 12:05:45 AM

* TheButterZone offers fucktons of somethings, gets bitcoins in return, that almost always drop in value relative to the somethings

If anyone's wondering how that ^ happened, bitcointalk takes
Code:
/me
and formats the text following it like an IRC message.
* busterroni says Hello World!
Cortex7

Activity: 238
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 12:08:04 AM

Why do people think it's a Ponzi scheme?  Isn't the whole point of a ponzi scheme that it is centralized? Bitcoin is decentralized and no one owns it or manages it.

Totally agree... anyone who says bitcoin is a ponzi scheme:

does not know what a Ponzi scheme is.
does not know what money is.
does not know what Bitcoin is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: