Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:17:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CNNMoney - Where did bitcoin go wrong?  (Read 5838 times)
galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 11:23:51 AM

What a foul smelling appendage. Straight to ignore.

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 12:19:59 PM

"The lunatic delusional" ... bla bla bla very strong ad hominem there.

I debunked some of his arguments here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=843040.msg9404730#msg9404730

How does he think a currency like this spreads? Overnight, billions of people use it? That's not how things happen.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
Jungian
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 12:25:48 PM

Honestly, I didn't mind the video.

It did make a few fair points, (about the number of pumpers/fanatics of the cryptocurrency). But I still think bitcoin will remain number 1 for years to come.

The competitor won't have pumpers or won't have value? Tell me something that goes up in value quick without having pumpers. There's lunatics everywhere. Actually I think Bitcoin has the most amount of economically sane people of any community I've ever been subjected to.

How much has Jeffrey Robinson put his money where is mouth is what I wonder. He should be asked about how many shorts be bought since he's so sure it will fail.

belk

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 12:37:12 PM

Not doing everything to make paypal join them.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 01:38:37 PM

He is just a dude selling a book, so it has to be controversial or he gets no play.  I find it offensive there was no educated rebuttal to his findings going on there.  Just a 'greedy, delusional lunatic' Republican (most likely) trying to hock his wares while the supposedly non-biased host sits there and snickers over his silly comparisons in complete agreement at the expense of a fledgling currency that has seen no real traction to this day.  Why doesn't he compare it to time tested gold in the future?  Nice hatchet job CNN.  Bastion of journalism my rear, I see the same methods on the HSN.

People should light up this fool on Amazon/BaN reviews.....just sayin'.  Wink

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 02:05:51 PM

People should light up this fool on Amazon/BaN reviews.....just sayin'.  Wink

Agreed-
http://www.amazon.com/BitCon-Naked-Truth-About-Bitcoin-ebook/product-reviews/B00NUIUQ3A/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Let the public know what a fraud this guy is and why he is wrong.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 02:36:24 PM

Can we take that as a buy signal?
Don't look for the signals to buy into Bitcoin, instead pay attention to the signals to divest from fiat, because those are abundant.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 03:58:34 PM

Can we take that as a buy signal?
Don't look for the signals to buy into Bitcoin, instead pay attention to the signals to divest from fiat, because those are abundant.

You young whippersnappers! Get those bitcoins off my lawn!

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
waser12

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 05:46:36 PM

Its really mean that Bitcoin is being moved through the world and take a significative place in our system!

FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 06:44:39 PM

I think that we need an entire new way of working that fits in with the decentralised nature of Bitcoin - CIYAM Open is a vision for this (with Project Managers who pay Contributors to deliver Project Tasks and where there is no formal "job" at all).

I had read an article by a "futurist" around the same time I was learning about Bitcoin who thinks that "in the future people won't have jobs" but will contribute their skills to many different projects as small paid tasks.

That "futurist" may not have been far off the mark.  That is essentially my sole source of income and has been for the past eight years, though I tend to contribute a bit more toward the projects I work on than would be described as small, paid tasks.  However, I'm certainly not opposed to taking the small, paid tasks as well as they suit my interests.  I've found that I have more success, more freedom and just generally more satisfaction in life since I've given up the wage donkey lifestyle.  There's also the added benefit of being able to choose which jobs I do and don't want to do.  I strongly encourage anyone who is highly self-motivated to give it a try.  It can be difficult in the beginning but the potential rewards are well worth it.  What's the worst that can happen?  You fail and have to go back to having someone else tell you what to do.  In short, take risks and love what you do.

I disagree, hes basically just trying to make "freelancing" sound futuristic and cool - freelancing has been around and growing for a decade or more, but its not going to take over - maintream people cant do it, dont like the stress of it.... they NEED to work for someone else solidly and permanently... I'm more "freelance style" myself.. but its not for everyone and I dont think it ever will be.
Well the main issue with freelance work is that, for most people it is not going to be steady work, the amount of work available is almost never going to be steady, and you are very vulnerable to variations in the health of the economy; this is very similar to being self employed, however you do not quite have the same upside
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 06:58:36 PM

I think that we need an entire new way of working that fits in with the decentralised nature of Bitcoin - CIYAM Open is a vision for this (with Project Managers who pay Contributors to deliver Project Tasks and where there is no formal "job" at all).

I had read an article by a "futurist" around the same time I was learning about Bitcoin who thinks that "in the future people won't have jobs" but will contribute their skills to many different projects as small paid tasks.

That "futurist" may not have been far off the mark.  That is essentially my sole source of income and has been for the past eight years, though I tend to contribute a bit more toward the projects I work on than would be described as small, paid tasks.  However, I'm certainly not opposed to taking the small, paid tasks as well as they suit my interests.  I've found that I have more success, more freedom and just generally more satisfaction in life since I've given up the wage donkey lifestyle.  There's also the added benefit of being able to choose which jobs I do and don't want to do.  I strongly encourage anyone who is highly self-motivated to give it a try.  It can be difficult in the beginning but the potential rewards are well worth it.  What's the worst that can happen?  You fail and have to go back to having someone else tell you what to do.  In short, take risks and love what you do.

I disagree, hes basically just trying to make "freelancing" sound futuristic and cool - freelancing has been around and growing for a decade or more, but its not going to take over - maintream people cant do it, dont like the stress of it.... they NEED to work for someone else solidly and permanently... I'm more "freelance style" myself.. but its not for everyone and I dont think it ever will be.
Well the main issue with freelance work is that, for most people it is not going to be steady work, the amount of work available is almost never going to be steady, and you are very vulnerable to variations in the health of the economy; this is very similar to being self employed, however you do not quite have the same upside

Freelancing is enjoyable if you have a specialized skill and people are willing to pay you highly for it. You can spend the time between jobs enjoying yourself while looking for the next gig. If your skill is less specialized it may still work out for you if you live below your means. However, if you only have commodity skills you should not consider it.
theskillzdatklls

Activity: 1328
Merit: 563

MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2014, 04:28:58 AM

he makes decent points but what he fails to recognize are two major things imo. first he doesn't talk about or realize that any new/novel currency has to start somewhere and transition into a weak middle ground. even if there are only 250k active wallets to get to 1bn active wallets you have to pass through 250k first. secondly, he says bitcoin will fail because the lunatics think it will take over the whole planet. no it probably wont. a better comparison is what e-mail did to the current mail system though that is still a flawed way of looking at the picture but much better. it can work great alongside the current system and still have a massive widespread adoption.

id love to hear his rebuttal to these or just discuss this issue with me for a few minutes.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 08:45:36 AM

Bitcoin itself I dont think has gone wrong- and I will probably get a lot of flack here- but IMO the users are killing the currency.

Why? Because people who genuinely want to deal with bit-coins for their business get spat on and frowned at by the bitcoin community until they basically give up. I tried to sell a house last year for a client in bitcoin on the bitcoin talk forum- the moment I listed it had 'scammmm!' screaming from the rafters. So I just sold it on ebay to someone instead. Then the Bitcoins skyrocketed- So I thought why not try again. I was 'lolled' out of the forum being told that now bitcoins were far to valuable for the likes of property purchases.......so the bitcoins took a massive crash, I decided to give it a final push and accept bitcoin on my property purchases one last time, and there isn't even a hint of interest in the forums whatsoever. Did the bitcoin community kill itself with it's Arty zim level of smugness or something? From the outside looking in, it seems bitcoin is like that mythical girl who is so smoking hot, that she never thinks any guy is good enough until one day she is old ugly and realises she is going to die alone.....if you guys won't allow businesses to come into your community and start trying to actually deal with your currency for real world items then the only thing bitcoin is going to attract is scam artists. Sorry if I get a load of Neg replies on this but thats how it seems, and I'm waiting to be proved wrong.

Buying a house is still considered too risky with bitcoin. From risk management point of view, you net worth must be 5-10 houses to spend some coin to buy 1 house, so that you risk exposure is not too high. There is no real good insurance for large bitcoin purchase, if the coins are gone and you deny the trade, there is no way to protect the buyer

Valeey

Activity: 24

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 08:58:22 AM

The "get rich kids" are propping up the price he says lol.

Damned kids and their getting rich...
is this a jokes?
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2014, 12:05:27 PM

Fact is we all know what went wrong but problem here we are short of solution

Jungian
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 12:12:31 PM

Nothing wrong so far...

Jungian
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 12:15:42 PM

Bitcoin is still over 90% of the market cap for all crypto-currencies... let's start the discussion again when it's below 80%.

Actually, if you ignore Litecoin (it's not a really a huge competitor to Bitcoin. It might be "silver" to the "gold", but have 0 chance to overtake bitcoin ofc), the next largest cryptocurrency (bitsharesX) have 0.07% of the market cap of BTC.

Yeah.. there is not really much competition out there right now.

lightningmccoin

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 03:19:07 PM

Then someone will say over here that bitcoin adoption is the solution where in fact bitcoin adoption is the main problem
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2014, 03:33:01 PM

The instant that dude said Bitcoin is "pretend money" and we're all "delusional lunatics", my brain started phasing his words out.

If I could actually transact with "pretend money", doesn't that make it real?  Am I delusional if that product I buy or the good or services I sell with Bitcoin, actually go through.

Guess he has to sell books somehow...

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
theskillzdatklls

Activity: 1328
Merit: 563

MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2014, 07:27:58 PM

The instant that dude said Bitcoin is "pretend money" and we're all "delusional lunatics", my brain started phasing his words out.

If I could actually transact with "pretend money", doesn't that make it real?  Am I delusional if that product I buy or the good or services I sell with Bitcoin, actually go through.

Guess he has to sell books somehow...

This and also him saying virtual currency. he kinda shows a lack of depth of overall thinking in life the way he talks. still though, he brought up some points just not entirely valid as i stated a few posts up.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: