Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:36:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100 (time sensitive request)  (Read 7685 times)
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:37:26 PM

As I am not the one going to the expedition I am not really in a position to answer that. I sent an email to one of the members so she can answer everything. (btw, what do I have to do to get her whitelisted, just send a pm to a mod?)
I'll preemptively approve this request. Just PM any online moderator, Staff, or Administrator once she makes an account and we'll whitelist her. If none of us are online, post in the Whitelist request thread with her username.

Cheers, will do that.

She said she will register tomorrow (it's getting late over here).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 09:38:46 PM

They can have my bitcoin only if they promise to preach the gospel of a resource based economy to all the children that they care for.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:53:23 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2012, 06:08:07 AM by julz

Sent 1BTC

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:54:10 PM

Im just curious, what spurred you to pick these guys?

(Forgive me if you've answered that already)

ty

Charlie
because bitcoin, lol

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 10:39:01 PM

Im just curious, what spurred you to pick these guys?

(Forgive me if you've answered that already)

ty

Charlie

Good question! I have not addressed that, but will now. vuce PM'ed me via a suggestion offered up by psy in this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64504.msg932624#msg932624

This was the first time I was made aware of this organization, though I may have read that thread when it first came out, but I don't recall, albeit it does seem familiar.

I hope that addresses your question and concern, Yankee.

~Bruno~

Cool!

Ah, was not concern at all, was just curious if you know them locally or whatever then I could help in my own way as well.

Anything dear to fellow Bitcoiners is dear to me.

You dont need to ask, we trust your judgement and due diligence Bruno!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 07:32:30 AM

Im absolutely fine sending bitcoins for this purpose.

However, I have serious reservations about giving copies of bitcoin magazine if that is what you were alluding to. If bitcoin magazine wants to "sponsor" them by sending a few free copies, thats their business, and I would welcome them to do so, but I dont think its up to bitcoin100 to pay for it, thereby sponsoring a commercial enterprise.

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 08:00:35 AM

Can we maybe put the word out, or get organized sending care packages to this? Not all aid has to be monetary!

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
vuce

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 05:49:03 PM

Can we maybe put the word out, or get organized sending care packages to this? Not all aid has to be monetary!

Most certainly, but that would be a lot more of a hassle for those donating.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 05:50:51 PM

Just sent my Bitcoin100 pledge so you can use it for this when needed.
Transaction ID: 6490cf544d0d8e2cf739c9d2e87dab6c59a39d601f036ed3054fbe06e13afac0
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 06:11:41 PM

Sorry for not wanting to read everything on the BTC100 project , but what is the status of these feature :

* Pledge to donate X bitcoins to Y organization when they agree to add Bitcoin donation option to their website.
Ex : donate 1.5btc to org1, 2btc to org2, 5btc to org3 , ect...
Then have this as a big publicly available table and organization would have an incentive to accept bitcoins.

* Having a mailing list setup so I can be noticed of new charities to donate to, (weekly / monthly)

I see no benefits to donate to the poors of this world, I am poor myself, and think our average bitcoiners arent wealthy enough to be annoyed with philanthropic request,
  I though the goal of BTC100 was to promote the use of bitcoin as a donation platform.

The only things I see for donating to this organization is :  It has been posted on bitcointalk forum AND it is a very good cause.

What's going against it :
* I do not understand a word on their webpage, other than the "Make a free website with Yola" ads.

* What about a note in English saying, "THIS WEBSITE IS WRITTEN IN *****" < language.

To sum up, this is such a small scale project, I don't see how hard it would be for them to accept bitcoin, (given the burden is usually at the administrative level)
vuce

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 06:19:11 PM

* I do not understand a word on their webpage, other than the "Make a free website with Yola" ads.
There is a sum-up in this thread, as already stated in the OP. If you need any more information I would be happy to translate anything on the website to english.

* What about a note in English saying, "THIS WEBSITE IS WRITTEN IN *****" < language.
It's in Slovenian language, I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 06:03:22 AM

Sorry for not wanting to read everything on the BTC100 project , but what is the status of these feature :

* Pledge to donate X bitcoins to Y organization when they agree to add Bitcoin donation option to their website.
Then have this as a big publicly available table and organization would have an incentive to accept bitcoins.

* Having a mailing list setup so I can be noticed of new charities to donate to, (weekly / monthly)

I see no benefits to donate to the poors of this world, I am poor myself, and think our average bitcoiners arent wealthy enough to be annoyed with philanthropic request,
  I though the goal of BTC100 was to promote the use of bitcoin as a donation platform.

The only things I see for donating to this organization is :  It has been posted on bitcointalk forum AND it is a very good cause.

To sum up, this is such a small scale project, I don't see how hard it would be for them to accept bitcoin, (given the burden is usually at the administrative level)

Before I reply to the other posts on this thread, as well as the ones on the main Bitcoin 100 thread, and update the pledge list in the OP of the later, I feel it important to address Transisto's questions and concerns first.

I, too, couldn't read a single word of it, and my dad was from Lithuania. Fortunately, I was able to translate all the pages via Google translator on Chrome.

http://www.kenija2012.net/
Who are we?

Four medical students and medical students of the Faculty August 2012 we went on a three-month medical humanitarian expedition to Kenya. Elimination of the approved Faculty of Medicine and the Ministry of Health, to organize it under the auspices of the Section of Tropical Medicine, whose members have since 1990 produced a professional and humanitarian missions to third world countries.

As we can now see, along with further reading of their website, at least four medical students from Slavonia, who probably don't come from a poor family, are trying to raise 20K+ Euros through donations offered up by other individuals from around the globe, most of which are probably less well off than them (i.e. you, et al.), so that they can holiday in Kenya. (six commas and one period used in this sentence to satisfy the Grammar Nazis)

But the above doesn't diminish the fact that I firmly believe this cause isn't not only a perfect fit for Bitcoin 100 to sponsor, but by doing so allows us to put another feather in our hat, so to speak, coupled with, I'm sure, we'll somehow gain mileage in bringing awareness to Bitcoin.

They've already added a Bitcoin address onto their website. The goal now is to send them another 100 BTC via Bitcoin 100, hence this thread. I'm allowing enough time to make sure that anybody who has donated to Bitcoin 100, but wishes not to support this endeavor, simply state their intentions on this thread or via a PM to me. If for some reason we're short of the 100 BTC goal, I will make up the difference (with possibly help from others), as I've stated before in this thread as well as in the OP of the main Bitcoin 100 thread.

That's exactly all I've seen also, but felt like it came from a good source--vuce--and backed by psy, among others (now). That's all the due diligence I've done in regards to this organization, with the exception being a WhoIS search as stated earlier in this thread.

I have an idea of what you're asking here, but at the moment Bitcoin 100 is not yet set up that way and, moreover, not sure if it will. It's quite possible that we may take this in a different direction if the current model continues to produce zilch.

It's so easy for the big non-profits to turn away $500 USD (approximately, at today's current exchange rate) when their budget consists of millions. I'm sure we could get a hell of lot more mileage from the smaller charitable organizations, especially ones that are in the news and ready to go viral.

I've had that in place months ago, and it's been at the top of the OP on main Bitcoin 100 thread for the same amount of time.

NOTE: If you desire your name linked to your website, please let me know. Likewise, if you desire to not have your name linked, kindly bring that to my attention as well.

Transisto, you currently have .1010102 BTC in the current pool. Would you like to see it go toward this organization, or have it rollover to a different one of your liking? Feel free to PM me with your reply.

I hope I've addressed your questions and concerns to date. Please feel free to ask more of me, for I'll be more than happy to respond to them all.

Thank you.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 06:33:58 AM

I'm getting a little tire, so please allow me to update this thread tomorrow.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 05:49:47 PM

I'm currently taking a break from my detective duties to update this thread. This post will also serve as a bump to make sure more people see it, thus having an opportunity to opt out their donation(s) currently destined to go to kenija2012.net.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 06:07:50 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2012, 07:50:44 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Despite having already donated to their address I authorize you to use my 1 BTC pledge to the Bitcoin100 for this donation, and will send it to you no later than tomorrow.

Just sent my Bitcoin100 pledge so you can use it for this when needed.
Transaction ID: 6490cf544d0d8e2cf739c9d2e87dab6c59a39d601f036ed3054fbe06e13afac0

Thank you, psy, for honoring your pledge and supporting kenija2012.net. The list has been updated.

As one of the Bitcoin 100, this has my support Smiley

I think I already sent 1 BTC there at some point, but here, have another 1.01010101

Thank you also, BTCurious, for your contribution. I've updated the list as well reflecting this donation.

Sent 5, divide it between charities as you see fit. You guys are awesome!

Thank you vuce, for bringing this cause to our attention, and also for supporting Bitcoin 100. The list in the OP of the main Bitcoin 100 thread has been updated, as well as including you on the list at bitcoin100.org.

I'm going to take the liberty and state that your 5 BTC donation will be going to kenija2012.net since it was your suggestion that got this ball a rollin', coupled with lessening the burden on myself if we're short of 100 BTC.

For clarification purposes, there is more than 100 BTC residing in the overall pool, but a majority of those coins are meant to be spread out over several non-profits.

Sent 1BTC

Thank you, julz, for your donation. The list has been updated.

I suggest using the Bitcoin 100 address 1BTC1oo1J3MEt5SFj74ZBcF2Mk97Aah4ac,

~Bruno~

Sent a BTC. (separate from the bj-payment sent via PM.   Wink)

Thank you, deego, for your donation, as well, in supporting this cause. The list has been updated.

With that, I believe I've finished all the house cleaning. I will post this post over at the main Bitcoin 100 thread as well.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 06:53:09 PM

As I am not the one going to the expedition I am not really in a position to answer that. I sent an email to one of the members so she can answer everything. (btw, what do I have to do to get her whitelisted, just send a pm to a mod?)
I'll preemptively approve this request. Just PM any online moderator, Staff, or Administrator once she makes an account and we'll whitelist her. If none of us are online, post in the Whitelist request thread with her username.

Cheers, will do that.

She said she will register tomorrow (it's getting late over here).

What's the update on having her joining this forum, vuce?

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 07:05:03 PM

They can have my bitcoin only if they promise to preach the gospel of a resource based economy to all the children that they care for.

To be clear, are you supporting this cause, LightRider? (PM'ed as well)

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 07:08:20 PM

Does anybody else have any other Bitcoin related props we can send to Kenya? We might as well get as much mileage as possible out of this endeavor.

~Bruno~

Bumping this post, to make sure a unique opportunity isn't missed.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 07:09:42 PM

This idea can work in conjunction with the post above.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 07:15:45 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2012, 07:30:34 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Im absolutely fine sending bitcoins for this purpose.

However, I have serious reservations about giving copies of bitcoin magazine if that is what you were alluding to. If bitcoin magazine wants to "sponsor" them by sending a few free copies, thats their business, and I would welcome them to do so, but I dont think its up to bitcoin100 to pay for it, thereby sponsoring a commercial enterprise.

First off, thank you kindly for supporting this cause, P4man.

Sorry for any misunderstandings, for that was not my intent on having Bitcoin 100 pay for magazines. I simply tossed that idea out there as an aside for Matthew to hopefully read, informing him that an opportunity possibly exists to see Bitcoin Magazine in Kenya via a photo. At the time of the penning of said post, I envisioned such a photo making good copy for said magazine. I still do!

Image a featured column in Bitcoin Magazine showcasing photos of said magazine using various countries as a backdrop. The goal would be that within X time frame, Bitcoin Magazine will show proof that it's been seen/located in every country on the globe. Then again, I've had crazier ideas.

To show how serious I am about this, I'm willing to pay for the magazines out of my pocket, but only if line 85 (linked to a thread) is updated. Call it blackmail. Seriously, call it blackmail.

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: