Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:07:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] Exotic woods from around the world with Bitcoin  (Read 12566 times)
WoodCollector (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:12:49 PM

Well I don't chop trees myself  Grin I do live near a place where I can DHL goods, but it's quite pricy. As for the wood, I know someone that might be able to get whatever sort of wood you're looking for, so do let me know Smiley

http://www.exoticwood.biz/woodchart.htm

^ check that list, if it comes from Africa and you can get it legally i am interested. Especially in any dark red Padauk you can find.

ROFLMFAO - The bullshit faggot dictators (A.K.A The Mods) banned this account. May you all rot in cryptocurrency hell.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 05:17:07 PM

By chance do you sell items made from these exotic woods?

Sure do, also make things custom to order, Vases, Bowls, Lamps, Tables. Even made a chandelier for a celeb last year out of Grade 5A KOA wood. Did you have something you were looking for? or were you just Inquiring as a generality?

I would love a BTC made of some exotic wood...something to hang on my office wall or on my desk etc..

Did you have a particular wood in mind? What size would you like it? What sort of budget do you have? I have a LARGE selection of woods on hand from something that would cost you $25 usd, all the way up to Bois de Rose which would run you about $500. for a 1 foot tall BTC. If you can give me rough dimensions on how large you want, and a budget i can send you a list of woods that i can do it for in your budget.

Well I won a charity auction and got Casascius's Orange BTC several months back (The one you see in every picture/video of him). I would like it to be similar in size. Here are some links to what I am talking about:

http://www.wired.com/2013/12/casascius/

http://bitcoinexaminer.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/mike_caldwell-1.jpg

It is 12" tall and around 9" wide

I am thinking price wise around 1BTC or so? I am not really sure what wood I want, but I want it to be really unique!

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:27:19 PM

Well I don't chop trees myself  Grin I do live near a place where I can DHL goods, but it's quite pricy. As for the wood, I know someone that might be able to get whatever sort of wood you're looking for, so do let me know Smiley

http://www.exoticwood.biz/woodchart.htm

^ check that list, if it comes from Africa and you can get it legally i am interested. Especially in any dark red Padauk you can find.
okay cool. I will definitely let you know! Just a bit slammed with work, but as free time picks up I'll look out for you. Well keep in touch Wink

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 05:36:19 PM

How much would something like that be with "Cocobolo" wood?
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:37:03 PM

By chance do you sell items made from these exotic woods?

Sure do, also make things custom to order, Vases, Bowls, Lamps, Tables. Even made a chandelier for a celeb last year out of Grade 5A KOA wood. Did you have something you were looking for? or were you just Inquiring as a generality?

I would love a BTC made of some exotic wood...something to hang on my office wall or on my desk etc..

Did you have a particular wood in mind? What size would you like it? What sort of budget do you have? I have a LARGE selection of woods on hand from something that would cost you $25 usd, all the way up to Bois de Rose which would run you about $500. for a 1 foot tall BTC. If you can give me rough dimensions on how large you want, and a budget i can send you a list of woods that i can do it for in your budget.

Well I won a charity auction and got Casascius's Orange BTC several months back (The one you see in every picture/video of him). I would like it to be similar in size. Here are some links to what I am talking about:

http://www.wired.com/2013/12/casascius/

http://bitcoinexaminer.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/mike_caldwell-1.jpg

It is 12" tall and around 9" wide

I am thinking price wise around 1BTC or so? I am not really sure what wood I want, but I want it to be really unique!

Absolutely can be done!

In your price range i could do something in any of the following

Bloodwood
Padauk
Cocobolo

I think the above 3 would make the best end result because of their natural turning.

I would do something a little more decorative besides just a plain BTC cutout though, some rounding and edging, maybe a little scroll work or carving. Something to make it art, not just a shape. Let me know if any of the above woods strike your appeal and i will work on getting something done in the next two weeks. If you end up not liking it yourself i am sure someone else will buy it so i wont require the funds in escrow until you decide that you like the piece.

ROFLMFAO - The bullshit faggot dictators (A.K.A The Mods) banned this account. May you all rot in cryptocurrency hell.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 05:43:59 PM

I am thinking Cocobolo with that nice finish on it. I agree it needs to be a little more fancy. I bought the orange BTC because it is a one of a kind signed item from Mike/Casascius (plus it is pictured all over).
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:50:44 PM

I am thinking Cocobolo with that nice finish on it. I agree it needs to be a little more fancy. I bought the orange BTC because it is a one of a kind signed item from Mike/Casascius (plus it is pictured all over).

Consider it done, i will head out to the warehouse tonight and find a good piece of Cocobolo with deep grain, give me about two weeks and i will have some pictures for you. I have a new found obsession with BTC so being the first bitcoin themed piece i have ever done i want it perfect and working with such a hard wood that means it takes time for intricate details. Please message me your contact info so i can keep in touch with updates for you.

BitcoinBrains

Activity: 149

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 07:05:43 PM

I love this idea.  Unfortunately I don't think there is much exotic wood here in western Canada. 
That said, WoodCollector, have you thought about selling exotic wood for bitcoin on here as well?

Bitcoin Brains, brick and mortar bitcoin stores in Alberta, Canada. 
Buy cool stuff for bitcoins
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 07:25:30 PM

I love this idea.  Unfortunately I don't think there is much exotic wood here in western Canada. 
That said, WoodCollector, have you thought about selling exotic wood for bitcoin on here as well?

I spend 90% of my days looking for exotic wood for myself to use in art pieces, the thought of letting any go after the time spent getting it is hard to bear.

I have received a ton of messages though of people interested in commissioned pieces related to bitcoin and bitcoin themed works, so i think i may spend a month or two and design some Bitcoin inspired pieces to auction off here on bitcoin talk. Maybe donate some of the proceeds to Seans Outpost and Satoshi Forest or another reputable charity.

What do you guys think would be a good target price range if i were to do something like that? I have wood ranging from $25 Padauk to $40,000 a foot legally obtained Mpingo so i could make pieces from $200 to 1 million dollars. Although i highly doubt anybody would pay a million dollars for a bitcoin themed art piece.

eneloop
Legendary

Activity: 1513
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 08:38:45 PM

I think it's a good idea to show a portfolio in your first posting as a proof for your skills.
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 08:50:34 PM

I think it's a good idea to show a portfolio in your first posting as a proof for your skills.

Not a bad idea. I think later i am going to start a new thread for some sort of auction or something like that. This thread was really to find people around the world who can get access to exotic wood and ship it to me.

BitcoinBrains

Activity: 149

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 09:18:27 PM

I have received a ton of messages though of people interested in commissioned pieces related to bitcoin and bitcoin themed works, so i think i may spend a month or two and design some Bitcoin inspired pieces to auction off here on bitcoin talk. Maybe donate some of the proceeds to Seans Outpost and Satoshi Forest or another reputable charity.

This would be my suggestion, we recently set them up to accept bitcoin.

http://www.womenscentrecalgary.org/donate/donate-with-bitcoin/

Bitcoin Brains, brick and mortar bitcoin stores in Alberta, Canada. 
Buy cool stuff for bitcoins
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 10:07:24 PM

Consider it done, i will head out to the warehouse tonight and find a good piece of Cocobolo with deep grain, give me about two weeks and i will have some pictures for you. I have a new found obsession with BTC so being the first bitcoin themed piece i have ever done i want it perfect and working with such a hard wood that means it takes time for intricate details. Please message me your contact info so i can keep in touch with updates for you.

Excellent! If you want to get real fancy an do some sort of inlay using 2 types of wood that might cool also. I don't want any details until it is done...just keep it $200 - $400 range and impress me.
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 10:23:12 PM

Excellent! If you want to get real fancy an do some sort of inlay using 2 types of wood that might cool also. I don't want any details until it is done...just keep it $200 - $400 range and impress me.

I've been sketching for over 30 minutes now, being my first commissioned bitcoin piece it will for sure be over the top and impressive.

serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 10:29:57 PM

Do you need any wood from Romania? Let me know and I might help you:)

Space for rent if its still trending
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 11:00:57 PM

I've been sketching for over 30 minutes now, being my first commissioned bitcoin piece it will for sure be over the top and impressive.

Sounds good...I can also offer up a Silver Wallet to store some coins on too!
segvec

Activity: 196

The cheddar breed jealousy

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 11:14:38 PM

I'll take a nice wooden BTC that I can hang on my office wall, too.
Let me know if you have a list of wood (with pics) that I can choose from and an estimate for each.

Thanks.

▓▓▓▓   New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange            → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 11:36:20 PM

Do you need any wood from Romania? Let me know and I might help you:)

Romania consists 40% of birch trees, and other common species make up the other 60%. But if you can find any good spaulted hardwood or nice burl chunks i am always buying those from the world over.

WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 11:44:51 PM

I'll take a nice wooden BTC that I can hang on my office wall, too.
Let me know if you have a list of wood (with pics) that I can choose from and an estimate for each.

Thanks.

The most complete list of woods on the web with pics that i have ever found can be found HERE

One of the best lists of exotic woods i have found is HERE

It would take a month to list prices on all of them. If you can give me a rough estimate on size, height and width i can narrow it down, further if you want exotic wood, rare wood, or common wood that narrows it down more, then if you can tell me what colors of wood you like and grains (burl, spaulted, turned, eyed, long grain, fine grain, etc.) i can narrow it down further, then finally a budget you want to stay within, then i can give you a more reasonable list to select from that should allow you to find something you'll love in the price you want to pay.

WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:50:59 AM

Updated OP to include

Domestic featured wood from the USA: Naturally Spaulted, Ambrosia Maple, Burl, or other "featured" hardwoods woods.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: