Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 03:38:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][RPCD] Rand Paul Coin (Deflationary)  (Read 49478 times)
randpaulcoin (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 08:05:53 PM

Rand Paul Money, RPM, sounds good.

Thank you for your input and support BTW.

I really want to vet these ideas.

Unfortunately we are currently illiquid so trying to get people involved at this time is a difficult task. So if no one speaks up against RPM we will proceed with that and forgo any further community input.

The idea of RandPaulCoin as a sharedropped asset on RPM is interesting. I'd like to have more ideas of what we could do with RandPaulCoin outside of getting it listed on exchanges.

edit - Ouch! I missed that you said Rand Paul Money. So you think the Rand Paul is still better than Ron Paul to base the name of the coin around? It is nice to have a new novel name.

I really just want to capture libertarianism, anti-inflation, and a politician supporting these ideas. The problem is I also want this to be at least considered by people to be a long term coin. Whether that happens is a different story and requires capturing a network effect.
DougB62

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

Banned: For Your Protection

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 08:49:36 PM

So long as it's rEVOLution-ary...   Wink

randpaulcoin (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 09:52:49 PM

shit, I'd take 10% focussed, just don't ditch us.  BitShares will launch a new update at longer and longer intervals.  It will only get easier.

It is a fact that I expect to spend 40 hours a week until my head is wrapped around the Bitshares code. It really should not take much effort to get a test chain up and running. I did not mean to imply I was working on this 40 hours forever.
Quote from: btstv

There is concern on what we lose with the word deflationary.
Who says you have to "lose the word" deflationary

You can say it all you want in the interviews.

Them: What is Ron Paul Money

You: It is like Bitcoin, only deflationary, instead of inflationary, plus you can purchase derivatives with it on the client software using it as collateral.....

It's still there.  I don't get it.

I agree but it is not in the name anymore. You don't see Deflationary when you are viewing the coin in a list alongside other coins. That is something that BOOM stands out. We will see deflation widespread with time but for now it is rare.

Personally I would like to just claim to be a good custodian of this currency.  A lot of my experience in development has been taking large existing projects and hacking away at them until they are twisted into my desires. In this regard there have been no promises that can not be met.
You certainly sound like the man

Thanks!

The only code that will need to be written is feeds for Silver and Gold. I will need to inspect where different prices originate from different market makers. That sort of thing is simple and the only concern is having the IP address of a delegate blacklisted. Someone may have already written these pricefeed scripts.

RonPaulGold  backed by RonPaulMoney backed by state of the art blockchain technology.  All this brought to you by Bitshares by way of Bitcoin !
CLains

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 12:57:58 AM

CLains

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:06:05 AM

Question (for which the obvious answer seems to be "yes"). If we have multi address wallets (which I assume a lot of people do), we will have to import the private key for each separate address, yes?

Yes. This is a security issue where the unfortunate aspect is trusting that compiled binaries don't steal data. Or you can compile the code yourself and examine it.

People need to understand and be aware of what exposing your private keys means. Also understand that it isn't just about importing your private keys. It is giving binaries access to where your Bitcoin wallet. Always be skeptical about doing this.

There is talk about signing of messages being implemented to redeem (claim) sharedropped funds. If something like this is feasible upon final release we will try to incorporate it.

Signed messaging would be far more acceptable, if possible. Not that we're paranoid or anyth... scratch that. I am.   Grin

New BitShares PTS devs seem to have a solution here,

Secure genesis claims

It is now possible to claim genesis balances without importing private keys by means of the new "wallet_import_by_signedmsg" command. A description of the idea can be found here: http://pts.cubeconnex.com/index.php?topic=37.0
btstv

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 08:38:25 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2014, 01:58:37 PM by btstv

Rand Paul Money, RPM, sounds good.
you said Rand Paul Money. So you think the Rand Paul is still better than Ron Paul to base the name of the coin around? I also want this to be at least considered by people to be a long term coin.
Yeah, I think he meant "Ron" Paul Money since he said "Money" instead of "Coin"

So, I'm going with typing error, because nobody in 10 pages of thread has put those 3 words together in that specific order.

There is concern on what we lose with the word deflationary.

I see what you are saying, you want to use "Deflationary" as a brand.

That's actually a brilliant idea.

"Ron Paul Deflationary Money"

Ron Paul Money is already 2 syllables longer than BitShares so we will never win any "short, cute, hip, and catchy" "brand name" marketing battles with BitShares.  We might not be as hip as Dogecoin, but a basic law of marketing states that if you deciding to chose the "short, hip, and catchy" brand route like "BitShares," then you will forever have to lug around the ball and chain of ambiguity.  "Dogecoin," "Bitcoin," and "BitShares are forever ambiguous to the uninitiated.  Have you ever tried explaining bitcoin to someone?  Try ethereum or BitShares, it's impossible because after you say:

Today, Billy, we will be learning about "Ethereum", Billy says "wowwwwwwwwwwwwww, it sounds like space milk!"  Then you have to say, "no, no Billy, it is sound money.  And right there, we lose little Billy, because outer space is way more exciting to dream about than money.

"BitShares" (and most short and hip brand names are meant to be exclusive because those who are in the know are hip, so it is a marketing by exclusion angle that is pompous by nature) could mean anything to the uninitiated, and we must therefore be the opposite.  Taking the opposite route by being honest, transparent, and not excluding the uninitiated, gives a sense of trust in the name alone.  In other words, we are being up front with our customers, by trying to expose as much of ourselves in the most effective manner.

Because BitShares and Dogecoin chose "hip" brand names, then they also have to take, not only the untrustworthy douchebag (I know something that you don't ha ha) baggage, but they have to take the "ambiguous" ball and chain as well.  Ambiguous is different than untrustworthy, because it means that not only does your customer not trust you initially, but he has to learn the punchline to your inside joke as well.  I know because I've lived this for the past year.

Therefore we must expose this weakness of "too hip for you ambiguity" that BitShares/Dogecoin has, and proceed with our "clear and all encompassing" brand name.

Exposing your opponent's weakness is basic common sense, and effective strategy.

When you hear "Ron Paul Deflationary Money" you know exactly what it is, and have a secure, stable, and strong reference point to lay a foundation of understanding upon from a new user point of view.  You automatically take whatever understanding of "sound money" concept they have and explain more from there.

When explaining the esoteric "BitShares" or "Ethereum" or "Bitcoin" to people, their minds first jump to Jupiter, then you have to bring them all the way back to earth in the next sentence when you try to tell them that you are simply talking about "sound money"

You must see the genius here, it is your genius at work, I'm just reaffirming your genius, because I've been struggling to get people to understand "BitShit" for over a year, and I would love the chance to explain "Ron Paul Deflationary Money" to someone, it would be millions of brain cells easier because you already have  frame of reference and understanding with the user after you lay the brand on him.

It is a unique strategy in explaining/branding (being the same thing) cryptocurrency (just like you admit that "nobody is using "money") today.  It's not only a revolutionary tech, it's a revolutionary crypto marketing angle!

Nobody in crypto had the ballz to use the word "money" as a brand for fear of gov intervention (let alone the "deflationary" brand of money)(dude, u r d shiz), but the altcoin craze started and got huge before the irs legalized bitcoin.  But every copycat coin kept right on copying the no ballz and no "money" branding strategy that Bitcoin coined and Dogecoin made famous.  

Lets preach this: Bitcoin 1.0, the catchier the name the bigger the scam.  Bitcoin 2.0 - explaining crypto technology that you can use.

When you ask someone "what is BitShares", they initially (and always, because only 1 man really knows the answer) get the question wrong initially, so when you go on to the next question, "what is money?" and they don't know that either, you say "you don't know what sound money is either, stupid?" and you are pissing them off by that point.

You will never know what BitShares is after learning only one concept.  So the customer has to overcome failure (of getting the opening question horribly wrong), and still want to learn about it.  It is hard to get them to do.  

But people will have a much better idea of what Ron Paul Deflationary Money is after only hearing it spoken, and learning one additional concept (whatever that is that helps them grasp the whole).

Your "brand name" is your syllabus or instruction manual to teaching them the coin.

You say the name, and then they ask you to clarify one of many aspects: money, crypto, deflationary (whatever they are stuck on at the time).  You unstick those concepts, and then they have it.

If you start out with "what is sound money?" then they will at least give you their attention for one learning lesson, then when they learn the simpler concept of money, they feel smart, then they will be encouraged to learn more, and then you teach them another simple lesson.  Baby steps, never stumbling

"Yeah, you got the sound money question correct, what's next?"

Instead of:

You: What is BitShares?

Them: "I don't know"

You:"Wrong" BitShares is sound money. What is sound money?

Them: "I dont know"

You: "Wrong".....

By that point, they are like, "who is this doosh"

I know because I am that doosh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sdVx5gQz6w

Our opponent’s weakness must become our strength, and there is no better way to expose this weakness than to name this coin exactly what it does.  BitShares suffers from lack of adoption due to it being too difficult to explain.  We must fight to make our coin clear right from the title and we will not only differentiate ourselves from BitShares, but we will differentiate ourself from all crypto including bitcoin as well.

You are a genius.

Ron Paul Deflationary Money

I take back what I said about you earlier:

Changing from RPCD to RPM (RandPaulCoinDeflationary vs RandPaulMoney).
Marketing Move of the Millenium

"Ron Paul Deflationary Money" is pure market branding genius.

Crypto is having a marketing crisis currently, and what we will do is choose something simple like "just saying what the product does!

"Why no one's ever tried that!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwDUzSWoCjo

It's genius ala Jim Henson

They say that you must choose your battles, and this is an excellent strategic tactic in this marketing war.

So in essence we are turning the "battle of the brands" into a "teach our customers about DPOS" fight/opportunity.  And after hearing the name brand "Ron Paul Deflationary Money" you already know exactly what it does.  What more do you need to say after that.

"BitShares" went with simple and ambiguous, therefore, we would be most successful (in differentiating ourselves from BitShares) by going as far as we can go in the polar opposite direction.  You have vision, man, I salute you.

3 Cheers For :

Ron Paul Deflatinoary Money

It's like you are writing a song and are Bob f'n dylan
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 03:59:10 AM

Status update -

I have been busy with some other-worldly requests. They will be dispatched with soon and I will be 100% focused on RPCD.

Ok these are just my thoughts (ie likely to be implemented)

Changing from RPCD to RPM (RandPaulCoinDeflationary vs RandPaulMoney).

Why?

Coin is played out. Money is more direct and fits better semantically.
Rand Paul is unfortunately not vetted on how he holds to principles. This is a concern of mine. Let me just say he obviously isn't Ron. Yet that is also why he might be elected. So rebranding is not clear to me. One thing is certain - we are early into this so if it is to happen - now is the time.

RPM simply sounds cool. Last I checked no other coin is using it.

You've said 'Rand Paul Money' there but you actually mean you're leaning to 'Ron Paul Money' right? - I'm way more in favour of Ron, so great if that's the case.

Any general timeline in mind? I see PTS is also becoming a no inflation DPOS, so there will be some competition though they don't have plans to try pegged assets at the current time & Ron Paul Money is a stronger brand.

btstv

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 01:30:52 PM

You've said 'Rand Paul Money' there but you actually mean you're leaning to 'Ron Paul Money' right? - I'm way more in favour of Ron, so great if that's the case.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he means Ron Paul, and he said that he hates to lose the word "deflation" so I think he wants to go with:

Ron Paul Deflationary Money

So that people will have more of an idea of what it is than if we named it something ambiguous like
Bitshares, bitcoin, or ethereum.
bitcube

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 05:27:34 AM

Any general timeline in mind? I see PTS is also becoming a no inflation DPOS, so there will be some competition though they don't have plans to try pegged assets at the current time & Ron Paul Money is a stronger brand.

PTS is a zero inflation DPOS but it would become deflationary when delegates start using burn-rate pay.  See http://pts.cubeconnex.com/index.php?topic=43.0

PTS is complementary to RPCD (RPM?) and other coins based on DPOS.  PTS devs are happy to work with and help coin devs who base their coin on the agnostic PTS DPOS and its snapshot.
randpaulcoin (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 07:27:28 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2014, 07:50:34 AM by randpaulcoin

Christmas is about to be over. We're ready to move forward.

I apologize for dropping this thread but I had no responses outside of "wait". Since no one invested money outside of purchasing RPC, it was not felt that apologies and/or excuses were owed. With POS and sharedropping weeks notice needs to be given so that a reasonable market can be found. Given all the scams etc we gave more than reasonable time.

We are not too late !  Not much has changed except our codebase (Bitshares) has grown stronger and the RP? developer (me) has bought more time by personal fiat financing outside of the project.

The goal is to minimize friction relative to BTS on every level of this project while also leveraging every feature Dan Larimer and team has brought us.

So that leads to a problem. Bitshares stills appear to be in a beta mode. This gives us issues on choosing the appropriate release version.

Regardless! my current job is to get a legitimate genesis block and a few testnets iterations until a stable release is found.

Most likely the first testnets will utilize AGS/PTS/RPC. BTC/DOGE will be left out in the first testnets.

Merry Christmas everyone !
btstv

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 03:58:41 PM

Don't worry, the devs at BitShares are still working on the next release which is going to have several major milestones.  It will probably come out sometime in the next couple weeks.  No use wasting time wrenching on the last release.

Relax, and enjoy the holidays!
randpaulcoin (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 01:23:40 AM

Ok this project has been resumed.

C++ code given by FreeTrade is now going to be used to generate the genesis block. The previous method used RPC calls and a database. That method is fine, but I am slightly more comfortable with C++ code and writing everything into memory which is then dumped at the end of the process. No recreating of intermediate databases and only one bit of code needs to be debugged.

Unfortunately it still doesn't work like it should. Ron Paul Coin appears to be a Litecoin fork but there is some issue with the code segfaulting on blocks with multiple transactions. It shouldn't be a big issue to fix.

I am still not 100% fulltime on this project but I will be by the New Year and will remain full time until we have a working testnet with all the promised sharedrops.

Roadmap -

1) Get a testnet going with a sharedrop to Ron Paul Coin. We will likely make test stakes available to anyone requesting one. I will likely generate a set of keys to put in the testnet's genesis block and then hand out the private key in PMs so anyone who doesn't have a stake can participate if they desire.

2) Add PTS/AGS snapshots for later testnets.

3) Then BTC and Doge. I am still considering different approaches with Doge and BTC. We can't just drop every account as the smaller amounts will not be worth the blockchain overhead. The smaller balances will also not be worth the time to redeem. The larger accounts aren't needed as they are either not owned by individuals or the owner is wealthy enough to buy in directly.

4) Once this is happy and we've hopefully built out something of a community we will release the official testnet. This will also coincide with the final brand decision. It will be something discussed here. Libertarian leaning and based on Ron or Rand!

Happy Holidays everyone and sorry for the delays. This will help us in the long run as I have freed up more time to work on this. Personally I am excited and would have much rather been working on this than other things. I hope I am able to grab the momentum we had early on. 35k page views. Just wow!
biophil

Activity: 66

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 06:06:55 PM

Ok this project has been resumed.

C++ code given by FreeTrade is now going to be used to generate the genesis block. The previous method used RPC calls and a database. That method is fine, but I am slightly more comfortable with C++ code and writing everything into memory which is then dumped at the end of the process. No recreating of intermediate databases and only one bit of code needs to be debugged.

Unfortunately it still doesn't work like it should. Ron Paul Coin appears to be a Litecoin fork but there is some issue with the code segfaulting on blocks with multiple transactions. It shouldn't be a big issue to fix.

I am still not 100% fulltime on this project but I will be by the New Year and will remain full time until we have a working testnet with all the promised sharedrops.

Roadmap -

1) Get a testnet going with a sharedrop to Ron Paul Coin. We will likely make test stakes available to anyone requesting one. I will likely generate a set of keys to put in the testnet's genesis block and then hand out the private key in PMs so anyone who doesn't have a stake can participate if they desire.

2) Add PTS/AGS snapshots for later testnets.

3) Then BTC and Doge. I am still considering different approaches with Doge and BTC. We can't just drop every account as the smaller amounts will not be worth the blockchain overhead. The smaller balances will also not be worth the time to redeem. The larger accounts aren't needed as they are either not owned by individuals or the owner is wealthy enough to buy in directly.

4) Once this is happy and we've hopefully built out something of a community we will release the official testnet. This will also coincide with the final brand decision. It will be something discussed here. Libertarian leaning and based on Ron or Rand!

Happy Holidays everyone and sorry for the delays. This will help us in the long run as I have freed up more time to work on this. Personally I am excited and would have much rather been working on this than other things. I hope I am able to grab the momentum we had early on. 35k page views. Just wow!

Sounds great, glad you're back.

For part 3), you should talk to FreeTrade about how he did his BTC sharedrop for LottoShares. Instead of sharedropping proportionally, he just gave a fixed amount of LTS to every BTC address that had a balance greater than some threshold. I don't know how effective this was, so you'll have to see if he has any insight into it. Just something to think about.

BTS account name: zebulon
Sirius: ShgFrdAQye6adoxq1ucqRfuG5aCcMvxr2T
randpaulcoin (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:23:25 AM

Who here is interested in becoming a Delegate?  

What is a Delegate? It requires a 3-4 gigabyte (less if you compile elsewhere) VPS instance to run a C++ program that creates and signs block. These positions are voted in by the community. This is Delegated Proof of Stake - there is no mining. The more different people that volunteer to be delegates the better the network's security will be until the community grows. Transaction fees will be significant until we get pushback. That is the only way to maintain deflation and expect fees to pay for the Delegates.  I can not suggest what anyone will receive - this is mainly a for fun endeavor with hopes of making a decent currency. This is ideal for someone who has spare VPS instances or a datacenter sitting around. Otherwise it will likely cost approximately $20 a month. I believe almost all instances are run under Ubuntu but it would be possible to run a Windows version if someone wishes to try.

"Why would I want to run a Delegate?"

1) You want to gain system administration experience.
2) You have system admin experience.
3) You have a spare VPS sitting around that can handle ~3 gigabytes of memory possibly left.
4) You will waste your time elsewhere doing less interesting things
5) You want to test the waters for running as a paid Delegate for the BitShares (BTS) chain.

I will think of more reasons in the coming days.  

It still hasn't been determined how many Delegates the chain will have. 29 would be a good maximum.
biophil

Activity: 66

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:09:37 PM

What is a Delegate? It requires a 3-4 gigabyte (less if you compile elsewhere) VPS instance to run a C++ program that creates and signs block. These positions are voted in by the community. This is Delegated Proof of Stake - there is no mining. The more different people that volunteer to be delegates the better the network's security will be until the community grows. Transaction fees will be significant until we get pushback. That is the only way to maintain deflation and expect fees to pay for the Delegates.  I can not suggest what anyone will receive - this is mainly a for fun endeavor with hopes of making a decent currency. This is ideal for someone who has spare VPS instances or a datacenter sitting around. Otherwise it will likely cost approximately $20 a month. I believe almost all instances are run under Ubuntu but it would be possible to run a Windows version if someone wishes to try.

3) You have a spare VPS sitting around that can handle ~3 gigabytes of memory possibly left.
5) You want to test the waters for running as a paid Delegate for the BitShares (BTS) chain.

It still hasn't been determined how many Delegates the chain will have. 29 would be a good maximum.

If you intend to use price feeds to guide bitAsset prices, the delegate will also have to run a script that queries external exchanges for the RPCD (RPM?) price and then publishes this price to the blockchain. There are several open-source price-feed scripts available for BTS; it should take minimal effort to adapt them for use in RPCD.

BTS account name: zebulon
Sirius: ShgFrdAQye6adoxq1ucqRfuG5aCcMvxr2T
iHashFury

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:28:04 PM

I would like the opportunity to host and run a delegate.
randpaulcoin (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 03:30:18 AM

If you intend to use price feeds to guide bitAsset prices, the delegate will also have to run a script that queries external exchanges for the RPCD (RPM?) price and then publishes this price to the blockchain. There are several open-source price-feed scripts available for BTS; it should take minimal effort to adapt them for use in RPCD.

Exactly. The main effort here is to just leverage what Bitshares has done but make it so there there is no inflation of the money supply.  Ever.  I plan on leveraging everything we can and would also like to help in the Bitshares project. Except for graphics the only initial change will be block times, delegates.

Today I compiled Bitshares under Windows. A lot of different things involved there.

Tomorrow hopefully I'll see if I can do the complete setup package. I need a Mac person to compile stuff or will have to purchase one myself.
randpaulcoin (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 04:43:50 AM

I would like the opportunity to host and run a delegate.

Noted. I recognize your name from somewhere. I'll make a list of delegates in this thread and communicate with your privately.

I'm still looking for a home base. We might just end up at the PTS forum.
jwiz168

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 08:02:33 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2015, 09:53:17 PM by jwiz168

hi I want to be a delegate too. When does the client be available for download?
randpaulcoin (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 09:13:31 PM

hi I want to a delegate to. When does the client be available for download?

I would think a week at the most.

I am going to get a first testnet where anyone can play around with it if they desire. 

So this testnet will be more of a practicenet than one might expect from a testnet.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: