Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:26:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Arrested for feeding homeless people  (Read 8284 times)
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 05:11:23 PM

Regardless of your opinion on if the law is just or not, the police officers were only doing their job.

Just doing their jobs.

Nice Godwin!  Because discouraging bums from shitting free food all over a neighborhood park is EXACTLY like the Third Reich.

Thanks for derailing this duplicate thread before it took up any more space.   Cool

It's not an example of Godwin's law.

Whether or not you agree with his overall point, it actually is EXACTLY an example of Godwin's Law. It is a perfect example that proves the rule.

Godwin's law confimed, which automatically ends the discussion. OP please lock the thread.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 01:58:48 AM

I do on occasion go to a drive thru fast food place that is in a complex with a gas station, a large retailer, etc. Homeless people are always hanging out near one specific entrance/exit location in the complex. So, if I feel like it....I order my meal x2 and when I'm leaving give 1 away to of whichever homeless person happens to be there that day. It's not a daily, scheduled or regular thing. I can spend my money how I wish and as far as I know, it's not illegal in Florida to hand a person a bag of food whether you know them or not.

Not all over Florida apparently. This was an ordinance, which means it was passed by a city. I think it was Fort Lauderdale?

OMG R U SAYING THAT PEOPLE IN DIFFERENT PLACES PREFER TO LIVE BY DIFFERENT RULES?

THAT IS AN ATTACK ON MUH LIBURTEEZ!  SEND IN THE ANARCHIST POLICE TO ARREST THESE OPPRESSORS!

DOWN WITH LOCAL CONTROL!  WE MUST HAVE THE EXACT SAME LAWS EVERYWHERE OR WE HATE FREEDUMB!

/first world anarchist angst

http://www.boredpanda.com/funny-first-world-anarchists-rebels/

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Alejandro Taquito

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 03:04:28 AM

I don't care where you live you should be able to feed homeless people if you like.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 03:35:47 AM

I don't care where you live you should be able to feed homeless people if you like.

IKR?  Why should the people effected by the problems feeding homeless creates have a say in the matter?

If you want to sacrifice their property values for the sake of your altrusim, that's freedom at work.

If they don't want the homeless to shit our your free food all over their park/sidewalk/street/lawns, they should invite the homeless into their houses to use a toilet.  And if they don't want them sleeping/shoot up in the park, they should let them stay in a spare bedroom.

People have no right to control their own communities and set standards to ensure safe food distribution, sanitation, etc.

The Anarchist Police should force everyone who works for a living to share their earned resources with those who don't.

Because Freedom!

*hoists Black Flag; rages against the machine*

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
awesome31312

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 06:30:29 PM

Regardless of your opinion on if the law is just or not, the police officers were only doing their job.

Just doing their jobs.

Nice Godwin!  Because discouraging bums from shitting free food all over a neighborhood park is EXACTLY like the Third Reich.

Thanks for derailing this duplicate thread before it took up any more space.   Cool

Whether or not you agree with his overall point, it actually is EXACTLY an example of Godwin's Law. It is a perfect example that proves the rule.

Godwin's law confimed, which automatically ends the discussion. OP please lock the thread.

Look up the Nuremburg Defense before you make yourself look like an idiot again

Account recovered 08-12-2019
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:37:00 PM

Just doing their jobs.

I respect your opinions and that, but come on, comparing this incident to the Nazi leaders and the unthinkable horrors they caused was a cheap shot.

youngmike

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 08:24:52 PM

I told you weeks ago how Blocknet is going to sub ICO almost right after launch and all I heard was "stop fudding, go away"  Smiley
FredDag

Activity: 436
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 09:18:15 PM

Not sure why a city thinks they need to regulate this man's charity. There seem to be more homeless now than ever in my lifetime. Keeping them out of site isn't going to make them go away.

Just the Nanny State turning up the heat a little more.
Eventually we will reach boiling point, at which time everything that is not compulsory will be illegal.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 02:56:54 AM

You think I need to look up common knowledge like the history of the Nuremberg Trials?

Sorry, but I'm not as ignorant as you are and won't let your argumentum ad Hitlerum pass without justified mockery and proper invocation of Godwin's Law.   Grin

If you can't tell the difference between Nazi war crimes and enforcing municipal food handling regulations, just give up because you failed at life.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
awesome31312

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 10:49:03 AM

You think I need to look up common knowledge like the history of the Nuremberg Trials?

Sorry, but I'm not as ignorant as you are and won't let your argumentum ad Hitlerum pass without justified mockery and proper invocation of Godwin's Law.   Grin

If you can't tell the difference between Nazi war crimes and enforcing municipal food handling regulations, just give up because you failed at life.

Read the page please.

I beg you, please read.

It's not a fallacy, it's a plea.

It's not "common knowledge", it's a description of the plea.

Clearly you haven't read it

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 02:21:04 PM

Shouting would encroach on private property.  It is a bad analogy.
And...the appeal of neighborhood rights generally in regards to new restrictions on use of public property is pretty thin gruel.
It was already illegal to defecate publicly (as also is your shouting)
The neighbors have no more right than anyone else to public lands, only to their private property.

However...  The city can do this, as stupid or as silly as it may seem, and as poorly handled as in this case.
Apparently they voted against this guy to do this sort of thing.  There are about 20 or 30 other cities in the US that also have similar restrictions on use of public property for food distribution.  Some have limits on frequency or volume so giving away half your sandwich might not get you busted.

It is a silly law and we like to make fun of governments when they do silly things like this.
Florida outlawed sharia and almost outlawed the internet last year due to a badly worded law against internet gambling cafes.
http://blogs.lawyers.com/2013/07/florida-outlaws-smart-phones-and-computers/
Concerned moms also got "Breaking Bad" dolls banned from Toys R Us there. 

And the police force are among the worst speeders.  The story that broke the news on that won a pulitzer:
http://www.pulitzer.org/files/2013/public-service/01day1.pdf

It is a weird state, lots of tourism, alligators and manatees, and famous for being the drug cartel drop point for a few decades, this is pretty much just par for the course, but folks love it.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
cryptocoiner

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

hyperboria - next internet

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 03:48:49 PM

Arnold Abbott handed out four plates of food to homeless people in a South Florida park. Then police stopped the 90-year-old from serving up another bite.
"An officer said, 'Drop that plate right now -- like I had a weapon,'" Abbott said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/04/justice/florida-feeding-homeless-charges/index.html

I can see their point... if you keep feeding the problem, it will never go away.

Give a man a fish...

You probably right. One should create a bisiness and give them a job. This would solve the problem.

awesome31312

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 08:42:52 PM

Shouting would encroach on private property. 

Shouting as in screaming? That's your first amendment right

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 09:32:27 PM

Shouting would encroach on private property.  

Shouting as in screaming? That's your first amendment right
Disturbing the peace is the typical charge.  In most all US jurisdictions it abridges the 1st amendment.
There are lots of bad laws.  Florida has more than its share.

Here's another:  Consenting adults having sex is a crime.  Apparently it includes such things as licking a boob unless you are a baby and mother.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/800.02
800.02 Unnatural and lascivious act.
A person who commits any unnatural and lascivious act with another person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. A mother's breastfeeding of her baby does not under any circumstance violate this section.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
BootstrapCoinDev

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 12:51:28 AM

Seriously though, what other guy in jail is going to look around and say "Hey, that's the 90 year old guy who feeds the homeless. I bet I'd get major street cred for picking a fight with him!"
Also, what police officer is going to think he can get away with roughing up a 90 year old dude who's in the national news?
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 02:15:38 AM

I do on occasion go to a drive thru fast food place that is in a complex with a gas station, a large retailer, etc. Homeless people are always hanging out near one specific entrance/exit location in the complex. So, if I feel like it....I order my meal x2 and when I'm leaving give 1 away to of whichever homeless person happens to be there that day. It's not a daily, scheduled or regular thing. I can spend my money how I wish and as far as I know, it's not illegal in Florida to hand a person a bag of food whether you know them or not.

Not all over Florida apparently. This was an ordinance, which means it was passed by a city. I think it was Fort Lauderdale?

OMG R U SAYING THAT PEOPLE IN DIFFERENT PLACES PREFER TO LIVE BY DIFFERENT RULES?

THAT IS AN ATTACK ON MUH LIBURTEEZ!  SEND IN THE ANARCHIST POLICE TO ARREST THESE OPPRESSORS!

DOWN WITH LOCAL CONTROL!  WE MUST HAVE THE EXACT SAME LAWS EVERYWHERE OR WE HATE FREEDUMB!

Is your head really so far up your ass to believe that the majority of people in the cities that pass these bans against humans feeding humans really support this shit?

Or are you just a troll spreading your ANARCHY IS ENSLAVEMENT TO FREEDOM fud?

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:35:30 AM

Is your head really so far up your ass to believe that the majority of people in the cities that pass these bans against humans feeding humans really support this shit?

Or are you just a troll spreading your ANARCHY IS ENSLAVEMENT TO FREEDOM fud?
It is much more complicated then feeding other people. The laws have to do with food safety and having a food license in order to distribute food. If this old man were to have obtained a license to serve food (like all restaurants are required to have) and be subject to the same sanitary inspections then he would be able to give away food to whoever he wants
awesome31312

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 10:51:18 AM

Freedom is slavery. War is (Nobel) Peace.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 11:33:19 AM

I was just wtfing over that comment above you Eisenhower34 and then I just went "Ohhhh It's dank!" lol Tongue yeah, don't bother trying to respond to him guys, he's one of our resident psychopaths.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 07:49:30 PM

I was just wtfing over that comment above you Eisenhower34 and then I just went "Ohhhh It's dank!" lol Tongue yeah, don't bother trying to respond to him guys, he's one of our resident psychopaths.

Right, because in this world, sanctioned murder is an act of peace and sanity, while speaking of nonviolence, love and equality, is an act of psychopaths.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: