Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:25:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Here is how to compensate for bitstream developers *alternative version*  (Read 1555 times)
Brunic (OP)

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 08:49:32 PM

Yeah, I shamelessly stole the topic title from mrb, but I didn't had the creativity to find another one. mrb can sue me for copyright if he wants, just PM me.  Grin

More seriously, I'm really interested in the work of eldentyrell, and after reading some reactions, I think I have an interesting proposition. One thing that bothers me is that, all the time eldentyrell will spent on his server, to be sure he get paid correctly, he will not be developing a better bitstream. It's bad management of our human resources here. You take an awesome bitstream developer, and you convert it to a server manager where a lot of people can do this job.

So, I'm asking to the community here. Is it possible to create a pool-like server for exceptional contributors? The idea is simple. Take eldentyrell idea of a server, but apply it for every exceptional contributors. The server could be managed by a group of person from the community, or even maybe the currently pool managers of existing big pool (like Deepbit, Slush, etc.).

This way, exceptional contributors, like eldentyrell, could simply submit their project to this server, where the server managers handle the rest. I suggest this because I think it could be useful for other developers around here. An example could be the developers of cgminer. If you use cgminer, you send 1% to this contributors-pool where they can have a profit from their work. CGminer being open, it could hard to code into the software, but the pools could simply make a 1% cgminer contribution, where any miner using cgminer will see their 1% being sent to the cgminer account on this contributor-pool.

It is a pool for developer-only, where the miners send their rewards to developers. The goal of it is to let developers concentrate on what they do best, where servers managers handle the pay for these developers.

I know some of them use donations, but I'm not a fan of that. I like to pay proper dues for those who make great work. The donation don't set prices, and it's always hard to evaluate the real value of something.

The payment model could work like a contract. The contributor submit his work with a contract value where he estimate what could be a proper compensation like, eldentyrell submit his work and consider it worth 500 GHash, well, the server will repay him until he gets all of his 500 GHash, after that, the software is free. If he makes a new update, he could ask for like 50 GHash more. ckolivas come after that, he announces CGminerX 3.0, where he ask 100 GHash, and he goes through the same process. This information would be public, so miners could choose easily which software they want to use.

Well, this need to be discussed further, but I'm curious of what the community thinks of it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 01:35:09 AM

i like it. i like it alot. though of course who manages the pool would be a big decision given the community wide effect it would have. but i personally would happily send a portion of my hash power to such a pool to support contiuned software dev.

of course, a problem i see is what if, for example, i'm sending 5% of my hash power, but i don't use CGminer (i don't currently. the initial config makes  my head hurt so i haven't hunkered down and done it.) in that scenario, it seems somewhat unfair for my hash power to go to paying for something i'm not using/supporting.

i still like the overall concept - just a potential issue i see.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 11:25:54 AM

And that server will be DDOS-ed instantly....

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 11:26:55 AM

and that isn't a problem with ET's current system? there are ways to defend against it.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Brunic (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 06:10:16 PM

Yeah, like any other pool server. But even if pools are centralized, they're still up and hashing.

of course, a problem i see is what if, for example, i'm sending 5% of my hash power, but i don't use CGminer (i don't currently. the initial config makes  my head hurt so i haven't hunkered down and done it.) in that scenario, it seems somewhat unfair for my hash power to go to paying for something i'm not using/supporting.

If you don't use it, you don't pay for it. Each software case will probably be different, but let's say your current pool have a detection mode to detect which miner is currently used. If you use CGMiner, you send a little part of your MH to the contributor pool. If you don't, you don't send any MH to the contributor pool.

I don't know if it can be done technically, that's why I'm starting this topic. See this as a sort of "reverse-kickstarter", people pay after with what they produce. Or maybe people could pledge shares instead of Bitcoins.
DILLIGAF

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 06:38:51 PM

Yeah, like any other pool server. But even if pools are centralized, they're still up and hashing.

And with a good miner software you will never notice the DDOS as it will go to your backup pool(s) just about the instant it happens here you get screwed when your only means of delivering your shares is gone..
Brunic (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 08:20:32 PM

And with a good miner software you will never notice the DDOS as it will go to your backup pool(s) just about the instant it happens here you get screwed when your only means of delivering your shares is gone..

Yeah, I know it's not perfect, and my goal is not to find a new way to protect against DDoS. I'm looking for an alternative way to compensate developers. From what I know, currently we have:
-Pay before use (like a normal product) where either you put a reasonable price and get pirated in a couple of days or put an exorbitant price to discourage leaking.
-Donation, where I'm pretty sure developers are far from being properly paid for their work.
-The eldentyrell model, that can be DDoS any instant.

I think that we can expand the eldentyrell model for every developers. Even with the DDoS risk, at least, it is usually temporary.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: