Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:07:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] Memory foam mattresses, valued at $2700 USD for $400 USD worth of BTC  (Read 4792 times)
lolwut
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 05:41:05 PM

if windixie or publix or whatever prints a coupon that says buy 1 get 1 free but forgets to say "1 per household" or some kind of stipulation would you consider it illegal if someone notices it and goes to the store with 5-10 of those coupons? Or even bundles those coupons with others....just to give you an example.

I said "great, give me your address and I will ship the item back to you if I receive it"

Ok let me see what I can do first on my end to cancel it first, Never had to deal with a cancellation...really wish this would have been addressed from the beginning though. If they tell me its possible for me to cancel it then there should be no issue. Give me about an hour to get home and call them. But as I said. Everyone wins, they did get paid at a bulk rate, I make a few dollars, you get a discount and they get free marketing...But give me an hour

lets see what happens next!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 05:42:36 PM

Yeah it takes a few things; An escrow provider to make the scammer start the process, and a smart buyer that knows what a red flag looks like. Grin

That I will agree with.  Escrow is good because without it the carder could have gotten funds anyways but it does require a smart buyer.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 05:53:23 PM

DAT, if theres more info you need from me let me know. Nature's Sleep has offered to sell me the same mattress for $599, which is very nice of them.

lolwut,
I trust you and this does smell like a scam but it becomes my rep and the escrow agent needs to be impartial.   If I return the escrow, the item ships anyways, and the order was valid well that is a pretty good "reverse scam" and my rep as an escrow agent suffers.

Your funds are safe and while this may be unpopular I hope you understand I am going to wait 72 hours, or until I get verified proof that the order is canceled, or the seller agrees to a release (whichever comes first) before releasing the funds.

Congrats on catching a potentially very expensive scam (if it is a scam my guess is the company would be looking for $2700 in damages).

longtimenosee,
if you have any information to make in your defense feel free to post it here or by PM.  Barring shipment confirmation I will be returning the funds to lolwut in 72 hours.   If the item ships then I can't release the funds but they won't be going to the seller until we get some solid evidence the deal is on the up and up.

mods,
can we get a scammer tag to warn other potential buyers (and escrow agents who get annoyed when caught up in dumb shit like this Smiley )
lolwut
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 06:04:10 PM

DAT, if theres more info you need from me let me know. Nature's Sleep has offered to sell me the same mattress for $599, which is very nice of them.

lolwut,
I trust you and this does smell like a scam but it becomes my rep and the escrow agent needs to be impartial.   If I return the escrow, the item ships anyways, and the order was valid well that is a pretty good "reverse scam" and my rep as an escrow agent suffers.

Your funds are safe and while this may be unpopular I hope you understand I am going to wait 72 hours, or until I get verified proof that the order is canceled, or the seller agrees to a release (whichever comes first) before releasing the funds.

Congrats on catching a potentially very expensive scam (if it is a scam my guess is the company would be looking for $2700 in damages).

longtimenosee,
if you have any information to make in your defense feel free to post it here or by PM.  Barring shipment confirmation I will be returning the funds to lolwut in 72 hours.   If the item ships then I can't release the funds but they won't be going to the seller until we get some solid evidence the deal is on the up and up.

mods,
can we get a scammer tag to warn other potential buyers (and escrow agents who get annoyed when caught up in dumb shit like this Smiley )

I have already gotten confirmation from Nature's Sleep that the order is fraudulent and will not ship. If I can get them to send me an email stating this, will that suffice? I dont think anything the seller says now will be the truth, hes just going to try and scam his way in to receiving the funds. (what if he says it shipped and i received it, etc)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 06:10:05 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2012, 06:25:19 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I have already gotten confirmation from Nature's Sleep that the order is fraudulent and will not ship. If I can get them to send me an email stating this, will that suffice?

Sure.  have them send a copy directly to info@tangiblecryptography.com and I will release the escrow.
If they can't/won't I forward me a copy and I will release escrow once I confirm it with them.

You can confirm via blockchain I haven't moved the escrow:
https://blockchain.info/address/1BAs2AZuGf7BW2upeAH3MYXPTfU9GhtaZy

I know this may be annoying but I wouldn't be very good escrow agent if I simply returned funds based on the statements of a single party.  It doesn't mean I don't trust you but I need to be impartial.  I hope you understand.

I dont think anything the seller says now will be the truth, hes just going to try and scam his way in to receiving the funds. (what if he says it shipped and i received it, etc)

To avoid an automatic release back to you in 72 hours I would want to see a Fedex tracking # showing shipment (not just pending) along with confirmation from the company on shipment.  If that isn't provided then funds will be released back automatically in 72 hours. Even if it does ship, funds will not go to the seller they will just stay in escrow until resolved.
lolwut
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 06:25:43 PM

I have already gotten confirmation from Nature's Sleep that the order is fraudulent and will not ship. If I can get them to send me an email stating this, will that suffice?

Sure.  have them send a copy directly to info@tangiblecryptography.com and I will release the escrow.
If they can't/won't I forward me a copy and I will release escrow once I confirm it with them.

I know this may be annoying but I wouldn't be very good escrow agent if I simply returned funds based on the statements of a single party.  It doesn't mean I don't trust you but I need to be impartial.  I hope you understand.

I dont think anything the seller says now will be the truth, hes just going to try and scam his way in to receiving the funds. (what if he says it shipped and i received it, etc)

To avoid an automatic release in 72 hours I would want to see a Fedex tracking # showing shipment along with confirmation from the company.  If that isn't provided then funds will be released automatically in 72 hours. Even if it does ship, funds will not go to the seller they will just stay in escrow until resolved.

OK,no problem. I'm going to call back and have her send you the email. I'm also going to order one directly from them for $599 Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 06:26:55 PM

OK,no problem. I'm going to call back and have her send you the email. I'm also going to order one directly from them for $599 Smiley

Also mention to her that if they accepted Bitcoins they would never have to worry about credit card fraud on those orders. Smiley
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:25:43 PM

Bravo to you lolwut. You saved a lot of us a ton of bitcoins.

And kudos to you for getting one for $600! I'm kinda jealous lol.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
lolwut
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 08:12:16 PM

I know this may be annoying but I wouldn't be very good escrow agent if I simply returned funds based on the statements of a single party.  It doesn't mean I don't trust you but I need to be impartial.  I hope you understand.

To avoid an automatic release back to you in 72 hours I would want to see a Fedex tracking # showing shipment (not just pending) along with confirmation from the company on shipment.  If that isn't provided then funds will be released back automatically in 72 hours. Even if it does ship, funds will not go to the seller they will just stay in escrow until resolved.

I just had their customer service dept cc you on the email. If that is satisfactory, please keep 2btc for yourself and send the rest back to the wallet in my signature. thanks.
REF

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 08:40:16 PM

great deal and real nice of them to offer it to you.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 08:56:34 PM

I just had their customer service dept cc you on the email. If that is satisfactory, please keep 2btc for yourself and send the rest back to the wallet in my signature. thanks.

I received an email directly from "Nature Sleep" confirming the order has been canceled due to credit card fraud.
I am refunding the full amount minus my fee (0.5%).  2 btc is too generous.
Do you want it returned to the same address it was sent from (13yEbZHgQSMFKsCRbgxK2bbf3wEMRjWeLs)?

If any mod would like a copy of the email for scammer tag purposes PM me.
lolwut
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 09:04:13 PM

I received an email directly from "Nature Sleep" confirming the order has been canceled due to credit card fraud.
I am refunding the full amount minus my fee (0.5%).  2 btc is too generous.
Do you want it returned to the same address it was sent from (13yEbZHgQSMFKsCRbgxK2bbf3wEMRjWeLs)?

If any mod would like a copy of the email for scammer tag purposes PM me.

sounds good to me, thank you sir.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 09:07:35 PM

Done:
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/7981378/e297b41910a113746959f3f489b68feeaff614b04a7f375a6f3a0343786e62dc

Solid anti-scammer warfare lolwut.
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 09:16:39 PM

Amazing work!
Gabi
Legendary

Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 09:27:19 PM

Great job

lolwut
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 11:26:25 PM

I decided not to buy a new mattress after this whole ordeal. The company is still offering me the mattress for $599.

If anyone was interested, I could purchase from Nature's Sleep and resell to one of you fine gents. You'd have to cover shipping costs though, since I don't think asking them to ship to another address is wise in this situation.

Just a thought, but I'd do it just because I'm nice, as long as my expenses are covered.
lolwut
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 11:28:32 PM

Thanks, I got the refund. You the man!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 02:27:04 AM

100% legal exploit....lol

Exploits are legal?  Roll Eyes
lolwut
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:01:00 AM

anyone thats been following this thread, please give this a read and tell me what you think.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85702.0
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:47:43 AM

mods,
As the escrow agent and a trusted member of Bitcointalk, you would the most qualified to head the scammer investigation. Compile the evidence in a convincing manner (for both sides, as you're able) and submit it to theymos. It'll take about 10 minutes for you to do, but you'll get a much better appreciation for the process the mods have to go through every time we want to mark someone as a scammer.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: