Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:17:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you return BTC if it was double sent to you?  (Read 1986 times)
Convicted2008 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 08:15:55 PM

Would you return btc if it was mistakenly sent twice to you? I bet they are alot out there that wouldn't. Today I made a withdraw from BetashareX of a litte better than .3btc. As I was looking at the transaction in blockexplorer, it was showing that I was to received around .6btc from my withdraw. Oh happy day. I knew this was some error of some sorts. Betasharesx emailed me and said that they mistakenly sent me double my transaction and would I return the missent btc. I responded that I would and I did return it. Keep it real Bitcoiners. You make the community and right now theres more bad apples out there than good. I'm my opinion that's partially why btc has dropped to its current value. Not entirely on the bad people, just a percentage of it.

Here's the pic that it was sent to and back to BetasharesX. Would you have sent it back?

http://imgur.com/tIq5jsb

The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
valvalis

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

DeFixy.com - The future of Decentralization

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 08:36:44 PM

of course I'll return it.
0.3 BTC is so priceless right now, but if the rate1 BTC = 1000 USD I'm not quite sure to return it LOL

█▌▐█
▄██████▄▄
  ▀████████▄
     ▀███████
       ▀██████
         ▀█████
           ████
         ▄█████
       ▄█████
     ▄███████
  ▄████████▀
▀██████▀▀
  █▌▐█
..DeFiXy.......████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
███   ██████████████   ███████   █████████   ██   █████   ██████████████████   ████
.$0.50.
███████   ██   █████████   ██   ███████████   ███████████   ███████████   █████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.......JOIN NOW..
bluemountain

Activity: 197

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 12:22:00 AM

I think you are correct to say that many people would not return it; I would argue that this percentage would increase if the extra amount was sent by a company verses an individual trading with you.

This is also supposedly how gox lost all of their bitcoin they held for customers
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 02:22:02 AM

If they can sign a bitcoin message with the sending private key, with a return address, definitely. Otherwise, the standard of proof that it was theirs starts dropping precipitously.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
deepestfear

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 07:00:08 AM

I would have or so I would like to believe. Wonder if my honesty would be more tested at higher btc usd exchange rates though.....

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1480

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 07:36:42 AM

I would have returned it, but I would not just send it back to the address the TX originated from. Depending on the service this might result in strange things. E.g. the address could also be used as an deposit address for someone else. I think its better to contact the person/service if possible and ask for an address to return the funds. If its not possible Id open a thread here or necro one of the "lost and found" threads. Whoever is able to sign a message for one of the originating addresses would get the funds.

I dont want to say that you have done something wrong with "just returning" the funds, its just that BTC is not allways as easy as we think. You did the right thing and I applaud your move.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Convicted2008 (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 11:07:05 AM

The address was gave to me in the chatbox by their support. I don't know if that's the one it originated from or not.

Fabrizio89

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 01:10:39 PM

If they ask for it, I would certainly return them, but mainly for avoiding problems, I'm not a hypocrite and say that I would do it because I'm honest. Let's say honesty it's 20% of the picture, the rest is self preservation. Smiley
themys

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 02:28:06 PM

You must to be honest, you must to return them.
BitBear2

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 12:25:17 PM

It depends of the character of the person. It doesnt matter if you find a wallet with money and documents and find the owner and return it with the money or get the money and leave it there. I have returned a wallet so I would return the BTCs for sure. Karma is a bitch, so don't ask for it  Grin
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:14:20 PM

I would definitely return the coins if they ask me to return it. But only to the address it was sent from.

If they don't ask anything, or just don't bother to get it back, I definitely consider it as a donation  Cheesy
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 08:21:37 PM

yes i would return it, don't know if this counts but about a year ago when they were in the $30s my ltc balance in kraken somehow doubled and i was able to withdraw everything including the coins that weren't mine, sent them back and told them about the glitch, figured i got enough shitty karma

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
oblixster

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 12:31:30 AM

Would you return btc if it was mistakenly sent twice to you? I bet they are alot out there that wouldn't. Today I made a withdraw from BetashareX of a litte better than .3btc. As I was looking at the transaction in blockexplorer, it was showing that I was to received around .6btc from my withdraw. Oh happy day. I knew this was some error of some sorts. Betasharesx emailed me and said that they mistakenly sent me double my transaction and would I return the missent btc. I responded that I would and I did return it. Keep it real Bitcoiners. You make the community and right now theres more bad apples out there than good. I'm my opinion that's partially why btc has dropped to its current value. Not entirely on the bad people, just a percentage of it.

Here's the pic that it was sent to and back to BetasharesX. Would you have sent it back?

I would have sent it back also) I believe most people are good and honest Wink The few who are dishonest are just more active so it seems like there are a lot of bad people in my opinion.

TinaK

Activity: 1106
Merit: 527

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:39:37 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2014, 08:08:07 AM by TinaK

it deponds on your peosonal quality
meccaflare0

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Do the thing and you'll have the power.

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 04:59:13 PM

I would send it back. I would also contact them immediately. Interactions like this build trust, which is priceless.
GreenCoin22

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 01:32:24 AM

of course I'll return it.
0.3 BTC is so priceless right now, but if the rate1 BTC = 1000 USD I'm not quite sure to return it LOL
300 BTC also is nothing 3 years ago.
BitCoinPokerBro

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:44:30 AM

good on you for retuning it even if the amount was small apples
cheekychap

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 07:10:56 PM

Ofcourse people should return it. However, I don't understand how can someone mistaken;y send it twice.

kusumadewi

Activity: 826
Merit: 517

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 07:18:44 PM

I don't know I will return it or not, I will tell them about the following error.

dload.1
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1004

BTC

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 06:25:54 AM

i had this same thing happen to me a few months ago i was buying .3 btc from Maidak  when he sent the btc from coinbase it somehow double sent and i recieved .6 i didnt think twice about it and sent it back to him right away.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: