Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:39:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have LOTS of idle servers, should I mine?  (Read 3598 times)
dac_2020 (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 03:52:23 AM

While looking for an answer to converting a batch of TP-Link devices back to standard OpenWrt, I came across bitcoins and have become a little curious. This is obviously something which will make more sense to the average person once you've started doing it, then learning things one step at a time. The basic information is one thing but the deeper understandings obviously take some hands on time.

That said... I have a bunch of IBM blade servers which for the most part sit idle all day long. They server up mysql, web sites, email, things which aren't all that resource intensive. The servers pretty much sit idle most of the time and could be used for something else.

One thing which has become confusing to me is that people talk about USB as if USB is the only way to mine. I'm sure I am wrong about this but that is the gist of how it sounds to be so far.

Anyhow, if that is not the case... here is what I have.

I have a number of 2xduo 3.0 blades with 16GB of RAM and 2xquad/4xquad servers each with 16GB to 32GB of RAM. I also have several older CUBIX 8 blade servers which are only 758Mhz/512MB ram which are used only as fail over backups for low usage stuff.

The server room is always on 24/7, the stuff is running no matter what, the A/C, the power, all of those costs are already there whether I do something more with the hardware or not.

Much of this stuff is pretty idle and could be used for?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 04:11:17 AM

Leave it idle. For every thousand dollars of energy extra used you will earn one cent worth of bitcoin and the denomination of bitcoin will be so small you wont be able to spend it. Regular computer mining bitcoin died a long time ago. Leave it alone.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 04:14:57 AM

do as you please

if i had resources like that i would at least run nodes for coins i believe in and probably mine some cpu coins

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
chaosknight

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 04:32:13 AM

you can rent out those server and buy bitcoin with that money
it will better then mining bitcoin on those servers
1echo

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

scams hunter!

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 04:33:50 AM

i woul mine a bit with free servers

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 04:41:49 AM

Some CPU coins used to be pretty good profits (PTS) and a few others. Then trade them crap coins into BTC
BTCish

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 05:04:22 AM

I would mine with those servers some cpu coins, they still can bring you some profit.

darkaire

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 08:57:24 AM

You might fair ok with CPU coins, server processors perform pretty well it seems like, specially suited to intensive compute. These can be X11 coins like Darkcoin or others based on it, or something like Primecoin or a derivative. Though servers are also power hungry, you may not get back what goes in depending.

Though something much more useful would be hosting Bitcoin Core nodes, P2Pools, and other blockchain apps (though many are for testing only at the moment). There is more to the network than just mining itself, the more nodes the better. A core node and P2Pool can be set up in a few hours if you have any Linux experience.

seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 10:22:17 AM

This is why i think BTC is FAR from being mainstream.... when we keep getting this kind of thread.

Someone always want to jump into btc thinking, its so easy to mine btc. If BTC can be mined with those CPUs do you really think its at the current price level right now? At least learn abit more about BTC economic b4 having this pipe dream of being rich.

Also for all "CPU coin" believers, the only ppl will be "rich" are bots operator. Good luck having that system as a viable currency.
zetaray

Activity: 658

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 10:27:28 AM

CPU mining is not profitable anymore, not even feasible in my view. You might earn more if you rent those servers  out.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
dac_2020 (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 01:59:21 PM

@seriouscoin, it is too bad you see such posts as being negative and what you imply about my interests is completely wrong Smiley.

I said nothing about getting rich or having dreams. I only said I have a lot of hardware which for the most part sits idle and I would be interested in doing something fun with it, which perhaps makes me a few dollars. I doubt the return would be so large that it would pay for the costs but the network is always running 24/7 anyhow, with or without generating something.

Therefore, I thought I would ask in the forums because this is the best place to get real, up to date input and ideas. Reading about bitcoins for days would not teach me as much as getting a bunch of responses to a post would in hours.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I will look into hosting and some of the other things mentioned.
dac_2020 (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 02:12:24 PM
Last edit: November 10, 2014, 07:55:49 PM by dac_2020

You might fair ok with CPU coins, server processors perform pretty well it seems like, specially suited to intensive compute. These can be X11 coins like Darkcoin or others based on it, or something like Primecoin or a derivative. Though servers are also power hungry, you may not get back what goes in depending.

Though something much more useful would be hosting Bitcoin Core nodes, P2Pools, and other blockchain apps (though many are for testing only at the moment). There is more to the network than just mining itself, the more nodes the better. A core node and P2Pool can be set up in a few hours if you have any Linux experience.

I don't think I would want to host something where many people have to access my network but if it were something where my machines can process and it is mainly just data going in and out of my network, that might be suitable.

I am not too worried about the power costs because I already have to pay for it, whether I do something else with it or not, it still has to be up and running 24/7, year in and out. The connection to this particular network is pretty slow, maybe 2Mbs or so but other than a little down time now and then, it's very reliable, all on UPS, generator, etc.

And yes, I am technical enough to do most things and setting up new things with forums help until I learn it better as well, just like anyone else Smiley.

I would not mind knowing more about what I could do with the idle resources. I like having purpose and making a few bucks to recover some of the costs would be nice.

Besides... I like the idea of a democratic currency.
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 07:20:34 PM

We could use the hash rate on the Monero network.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 10:50:11 PM

I don't think I would want to host something where many people have to access my network but if it were something where my machines can process and it is mainly just data going in and out of my network, that might be suitable.

I am not too worried about the power costs because I already have to pay for it, whether I do something else with it or not, it still has to be up and running 24/7, year in and out. The connection to this particular network is pretty slow, maybe 2Mbs or so but other than a little down time now and then, it's very reliable, all on UPS, generator, etc.

And yes, I am technical enough to do most things and setting up new things with forums help until I learn it better as well, just like anyone else Smiley.

I would not mind knowing more about what I could do with the idle resources. I like having purpose and making a few bucks to recover some of the costs would be nice.

Besides... I like the idea of a democratic currency.

There a huge difference in power usage between a server that is sitting idle and one that is hashing away at an algorithm. Your power bill would increase significantly.
west420

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 10:55:51 PM

Leave it idle. For every thousand dollars of energy extra used you will earn one cent worth of bitcoin and the denomination of bitcoin will be so small you wont be able to spend it. Regular computer mining bitcoin died a long time ago. Leave it alone.
This assumes that he needs to pay for his own electricity, which is not necessarily true. It is hypothetically possible that the OP works for some company when his job is to oversee a large number of servers that happen to be idle (although the ethics of mining with your company's equipment is questionable).

The OP could also potentially "mine" bitcoin via mining various altcoins via a multi pool that mines scrypt or x-11 coins that would be substantially more profitable on an electric basis
Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 01:12:27 AM

Why not use these computational power for computations of BOINC projects? Rosetta@home, Test4Theory@home etc...

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
dac_2020 (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 01:14:13 AM

Why not use these computational power for computations of BOINC projects? Rosetta@home, Test4Theory@home etc...

I am hoping/wanting to put them to good use but also recover some costs. That said, I don't yet know what I will do, just looking for ideas which is why I thought I would post since everyone here is knowledgeable.

The point is that I am already paying for these costs so am looking for something interesting, profitable to some extent. I am not looking for a get rich quick scheme nor do I believe in overnight riches. Just makes sense to look.
bbxx

Activity: 728

cryptoshark

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 10:51:41 AM

you can rent your rigs at betarigs and mine cpu coins when your power is not rented.
moiraine

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 01:51:39 PM

You won't be able to cover power costs imo...renting them out and buying btc is your best bet
FlashCrash

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:46:15 PM

You would make more money going into the hosting business and charging for website hosting than mining Smiley (or CPU coin mining)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: