Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:11:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: stopping the war on coal  (Read 1949 times)
Bitware (OP)

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 09:42:06 AM

new legislation .. this link will send an email to legislators supporting congressional bill that would overturn the EPS's UMACT rule, effectively killing the war on coal.

http://action.americancommitment.org/6675/vote-yes-on-sj-res-37-to-stop-epas-war-on-coal/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 11:45:46 AM

Coal is almost as dirty as oil.
The only difference is that coal is found in abundance in North America, as opposed to oil, which is found in abundance in the middle east.
Coal, like oil, is non-renewable. That means it is a limited resource.

Did you know, there are alternatives to coal for power generation?

"The cost, according to EPA’s own estimate, is $10 billion per year.  A more realistic analysis from the national Economic Research Associates found compliance costs of $21 billion per year, with 183,000 lost jobs per year."

That figure doesn't make sense? How are you losing jobs when you are installing stuff? I mean, you have to have engineers to plan the placement of the 'retrofits'. Where do the job loses come from?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 12:42:11 PM

I don't care if energy costs quadruple if that's what it takes to break our addiction to carbon fuel. Cold turkey is sometimes the only cure.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Bitware (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 12:35:18 AM

What you need to know is that this has nothing to do with health and safety of Americans. Its about taxing us into poverty and losing our land and ability to survive and thrive because we cant afford the costs.

Coal has been clean energy since the Clean Air Act forced them to curb their emissions. The smoke you see from stacks is mostly steam form the emiisions hydro cleaning process.

The EPA is legislating mercury emissions. What few know is that they put mercury in our vaccines and mercury emissions in coal emissions is very low comparatively to other sources, some natural.

What few know is that the govenrment is giving waivers to their buddies in public/private partnerships just like they did with healthcare and other treasonous legislation. Most notably in the military industrial complex.

I would be happy to  pay quadruple energy costs, but the real costs we will be paying is jumping from $16 per megawatt to between $136 and $397 per megawatt. These are not estimates, but actual prices suppliers have contracted for 2015-2018, with the costs being passed on to the consumer (you and me). In other words, an 850% to 2480% increase in electricity costs to the general public depending on geographic location and provider.

If you have a $160 per month electric bill today, in 2015-2018 your electric bill will be between $1360.00 and $3970.00 PER MONTH.

Again, this is not estimate or forward looking statements, BUT THE ACTUAL REAL MARKET COSTS TO THE ELECTRICITY BUYER.

The price for everything we buy, use, and need to survive will increase the same as well.

Food, water, clothing, transportation, medical, housing, services, internet access, online services, even bitcoin generation. And everything else.

http://energycommerce.house.gov/news/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=9534
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-18/business/chi-electric-rates-going-up-in-2015-20120518_1_electric-rates-electric-grid-capacity-payments
http://www.electricitypolicy.com/news/4372-pjm%E2%80%99s-capacity-auction-apt-to-boost-generator-profits-and-customer-prices-by-2015
http://www.citizensutilityboard.org/news20120517_ChiTrib_CapacityAndCoal.html
http://generationhub.com/2012/05/21/gop-says-pjm-auction-shows-result-of-obama-war-on
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/22/obamas-war-on-coal-hits-your-electric-bill/print#ixzz1vdALNXOI

please contact your legislators today to support legislation killing the EPA's UMACT coal requirements: http://action.americancommitment.org/6675/vote-yes-on-sj-res-37-to-stop-epas-war-on-coal/

and educate everyone you talk to.. please.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 12:45:15 AM

Green energy is about the same cost as carbon. When carbon taxes raise the costs of carbon energy by 4x, then green energy will be 4x cheaper. If you choose to use carbo energy, then you are forcing yourself into poverty. Save me the conspiracy theories. Show me how the taxes affect wind, water, nuclear, and solar power.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:57:21 AM

Unfortunately, like many things the president says, I agree with him that coal prices should "necessarily skyrocket."  Unfortunately also, like many of the things the president says, I have yet to see any evidence that this has actually happened or is likely to happen in the future.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 04:03:26 AM

Green energy is about the same cost as carbon. When carbon taxes raise the costs of carbon energy by 4x, then green energy will be 4x cheaper. If you choose to use carbo energy, then you are forcing yourself into poverty. Save me the conspiracy theories. Show me how the taxes affect wind, water, nuclear, and solar power.
Why didn't it work in Spain?
FirstAscent

Activity: 812

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 04:14:26 AM

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3941
Bitware (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:39:20 AM

Post sources for your information please.

The electricity consumer has absolutely no choice between carbon based electricity and non-carbon based electricity.

Bitware (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:44:44 AM

Unfortunately also, like many of the things the president says, I have yet to see any evidence that this has actually happened or is likely to happen in the future.

Did you read the government links I posted.

It has already happened.

The EPA Utility MACT ... the electric providers already did their future contracts for the the rates based on the new EPA guidelines and dates I posted.

All done without congressional oversight or voting.

What happening is that we are trying to undo it.

It is cap and trade forced into law circumventing the legislature.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 08:11:49 AM

I don't care if energy costs quadruple if that's what it takes to break our addiction to carbon fuel. Cold turkey is sometimes the only cure.

What?  Energy more expensive?  But I want to bring 2 tons of steel with me everywhere i go 100 miles a day and send a million watts of light into the night just because my parents did.  How do you expect us to pay for continued destruction of our most valuable resources?  You expect us to start living healthier and more fulfilling lives?  Sacrilege. 

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:09:58 PM

+1

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bluefirecorp
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 10:41:29 PM

The electricity consumer has absolutely no choice between carbon based electricity and non-carbon based electricity.

What? You can go online and buy solar panels. Sure, it's about 1.50 per watt or so, and payback time isn't for years, but DAMN.. might as well.

benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:41:16 AM

If you have a $160 per month electric bill today, in 2015-2018 your electric bill will be between $1360.00 and $3970.00 PER MONTH.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-18/business/chi-electric-rates-going-up-in-2015-20120518_1_electric-rates-electric-grid-capacity-payments

Look, now you're just making things up.  I read a few of your articles, and they don't say this at all.  Instead, they say:

Your electric rates are going up but not until 2015.

That year, electric bills are set to be about $130 a year more than now

Most of the figures quoted are almost completely meaningless, wholesale costs for "demand" electricity that are going up in order to accommodate more variable renewable energy.  It has very little to do with end-user costs.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 02:22:47 AM

What? You can go online and buy solar panels. Sure, it's about 1.50 per watt or so, and payback time isn't for years, but DAMN.. might as well.

Green power companies use much more efficient power sources than consumers. But you can ask any German about using solar cells when there are incentives for private homes to install them.

bluefirecorp
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:00:55 AM

Green power companies use much more efficient power sources than consumers. But you can ask any German about using solar cells when there are incentives for private homes to install them.

Incentives in America too. Nice tax credits for 'em. Just a lot of paperwork, which people don't like.

Bitware (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 06:28:15 AM

Look, now you're just making things up.  I read a few of your articles, and they don't say this at all.

Please do the math.

Current cost for electricity based on coal fired hydro-electric is $16 per megawatt. I can attest this is accurate by my electric bill.

The real new costs that has already been agreed to contracted and signed is between $136 and $397 per megawatt.

That is indeed a 850% to 2480% increase.

Perhaps you should re-read the congressional site figures again.

No amount of pie-in-the-sky forward looking supposition, conjecture, and partisan rhetoric is going to change those figures.
Bitware (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 06:32:44 AM

Incentives in America too. Nice tax credits for 'em. Just a lot of paperwork, which people don't like.

The problem is few can afford to lay out $20,000 to $50,000 for enough kW of alternative energy generating products to defray the new high costs of electric and to run their homes, regardless of the current "incentives".

Go do some pricing for whole house solar solutions. I have.

Bitware (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 06:37:37 AM

Yes you can buy panels but you must have them professionally installed by an electrician certified in solar technology and you need permits. No electrician companies are around that will install 3rd party products. You must buy from them. Its a racket.

All I could afford is 2 kW of panels grid tied, and this included "incentives". It cost me $4.50 a watt installed plus $3000 for the GT inverter. And barely makes a dent in the electric bill. There is a difference but its very small.
benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 04:48:48 AM

Current cost for electricity based on coal fired hydro-electric is $16 per megawatt. I can attest this is accurate by my electric bill.

Do you even know what a megawatt is?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: