Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:13:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When will be time to add more decimal places on the official client?  (Read 1499 times)
TiagoTiago (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 12:05:34 AM

We're nearing ten bucks per BTC, i would be more comfortable if we didn't loose the ability to pay/receive cents of Dollar so soon...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
humble

Activity: 91
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 12:07:04 AM

Think it's in 0.3.21 already. Have fun!
TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 12:13:04 AM

It doesn't show the additional zeros, only shows the additional places if there are any fractions of bitcoin cents ?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 12:18:13 AM

Yes, there are. If you get a payout from a mining pool that is very exact with their payout, you will also have bitcoins down to Saitoshis.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 01:39:12 PM

I tried sending 0.005BTC and it warned me i would be forced to fork out a whole bitcent in order to have that transaction processed...i thought there were still lots of people mining choosing to not charge any transaction fees...

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:08:52 PM

There are quite a few (more or less arbitrary) limitations/rules in the official client, that are not 100% necessary but there to kind of "set standards" and mindsets for the future (like these microtransaction fees)

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:21:32 PM

The client supports arbitrarily precise transactions and displays them correctly, but will show 2 decimal places regardless of whether they're needed or not. In the long run this ought to be configurable so that I can show 3 or 4 or 0 trailing zeros if I like. But even then, 2 will probably be the default setting just because it's so familiar to most of the world. (Do they use 3 digits anywhere outside Bitcoinistan and Kuwait?)

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:34:50 PM

The exchange rate is close to .001BTC per 0.01USD, is 4 US Cents considered a micropayment?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: