Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:28:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it really necessary to keep bitcoind on separate server?  (Read 2227 times)
shark255 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:43:19 PM

Subject.

Imagine, that there is web-server and bicoin-server.

What if hacker will get access to web-server and make RPC call to bitcoind server and send coins to his address?

In this case no reason to have separate bitcoin-server for this. Or I missed something.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 08:07:10 PM

i dont see a problem with having them on the same machine as long as that server does not control any funds.

any bitcoin server which can be used to send money should be on another network and on a machine which you control physically to avoid attacks from your hoster.

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
shark255 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 08:56:35 PM

i dont see a problem with having them on the same machine as long as that server does not control any funds.

any bitcoin server which can be used to send money should be on another network and on a machine which you control physically to avoid attacks from your hoster.

I dont understand you Smiley In first sentence you say that there is no problem to keep bitcoin server and web server on the same machine,
in the second you say that bitcoin server should be on another network Smiley
onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 08:58:48 PM

I dont understand you Smiley In first sentence you say that there is no problem to keep bitcoin server and web server on the same machine,
in the second you say that bitcoin server should be on another network Smiley

bitcoin server which has an empty wallet -> same server
bitcoin server which has access to money -> another server which YOU host yourself

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 09:01:08 PM

Subject.

Imagine, that there is web-server and bicoin-server.

What if hacker will get access to web-server and make RPC call to bitcoind server and send coins to his address?

In this case no reason to have separate bitcoin-server for this. Or I missed something.

You shouldn't have your web server rpc call to bitcoind.  Bitcoind should be on a locked down server that only allows outgoing connections to the database so it can ask the database what needs to be sent and allow it connect to a single bitcoind instance you control that is only used to broadcast transactions.  Of course, you should design it in such a way that an attacker would have to spend significant time understanding your built in checks before they are able to fake records without tripping up your automated integrity checks.  If an integrity check does fail, immediately send all funds to a cold wallet and cease operations until a human can check it out. Even with all that, most funds should be kept offline and only made available to the bitcoind server when it's supply runs low.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
shark255 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 09:32:35 PM

bitcoin server which has an empty wallet -> same server
bitcoin server which has access to money -> another server which YOU host yourself

but how to make automatically payouts ?

Bitcoind should be on a locked down server that only allows outgoing connections to the database so it can ask the database what needs to be sent and allow it connect to a single bitcoind instance you control that is only used to broadcast transactions.

good idea. At least attacker will not get direct access to wallet.dat or send RPC call to spend all available coins.
sonofliberty

Activity: 395

Market Integration Platform

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 06:55:00 AM

You shouldn't have your web server rpc call to bitcoind.

I need my web application to generate keypairs. I could also generate them via PHP, but importing the private key to bitcoind is a pain in the ass (makes bitcoind unresponsible for minutes). Smiley
My bitcoind server is a laptop running in my basement.

shark255 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 10:08:45 AM

You shouldn't have your web server rpc call to bitcoind.

I need my web application to generate keypairs. I could also generate them via PHP, but importing the private key to bitcoind is a pain in the ass (makes bitcoind unresponsible for minutes). Smiley
My bitcoind server is a laptop running in my basement.

You can solve this problem in the same way - your bitcoin server checks the task "create new keypair" and if it is exists - proceed it.
Your solution is OK too, if you satisfied how it works.
Satosh¡ Slot

Activity: 164

Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 08:12:11 AM

No need, the machine can be encrypted, or even just the wallet encrypted and unlocked when it has to send out funds. And only use https calls to get data so that the host can't find clues in the traffic.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 10:37:51 AM

No need, the machine can be encrypted, or even just the wallet encrypted and unlocked when it has to send out funds. And only use https calls to get data so that the host can't find clues in the traffic.

This is bad advice (except the https part).

notme has given you good advice if you want your funds to be safer. I won't repeat what he said, but his advice is sound.  (You should also be concerned about using a VPN, bitcoins have been reportedly stolen from them even with good security, by ISP employees.)

BITMIXER.IO

Activity: 261
Merit: 263

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 11:13:28 AM

If hacker takes control of your web-server, he can send rpc request to your bitcoin server or prepare data for pick up from 'locked down' server.
The best way - to secure your web server. Use encrypted disks for sensitive data like db, bitcoin configs and wallets. Unmount disks, lock wallet on any unautorized access to the server. Send rpc request from dedicated user, not from www.
tjwebb

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 08:39:45 AM

At the end of the day, if you know where your single point of failure/entry is, it is that point that you should secure to whatever degree is feasible in your situation. Web servers unfortunately have tons of attack vectors available.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: