Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:58:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MT.Gox caught lying again  (Read 7130 times)
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 09:29:36 PM

The most amazing pieces of federal software that I've seen are the sections of IRS forensic accounting systems that catch anomalies.  (Not that the feds are known for programming prowess, but when it comes to taxes, they seem to take it more seriously.)

Credit providers run pretty sophisticated software, too.  It's simultaneously looking for fraud, assessing customer risk in real time, trying to detect money laundering and terrorism financing, looking for indicators of tax evasion and a bunch of other things.

I remember being told years ago that tax department auditors could estimate income to within a few hundred dollars based on lifestyle alone.  I expect that technology and powerful software makes that possible on a larger scale than ever before.

It's important for people to remember that as a general rule transactions of $10,000 and over are not illegal per se.  In the vast majority of cases they'll just be automatically reported and there'll be no further investigation unless some additional factor identifies the transaction/s as "suspicious".  Even when a transaction is flagged, it will often be determined to be legitimate through the most basic of investigations and there'll be no need to report it as "suspicious" to FinSEC/AUSTRAC  or whomever.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 03:35:46 AM

3 weeks wait seems  a bit extreme...

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 09:05:02 AM

interesting

Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 12:54:39 PM

Still nothing from MTGox.  Weak.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 02:13:58 PM

I'm sure that's coming... b& and v& because I have the temerity to bitch about abysmal customer service and lies.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 02:45:08 PM

Yeah, I've moved all of my operations over to Bitfloor at this point.  I'm done with MTGox.  As soon (or even IF) I can get my last $10,752 bucks out of MTGox, I'll not be trading there again.

Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 03:11:51 PM

Wait what?  It's not blue or orange! 

Naw, it's a New Orleans hat, which I just like the hat cause of the material and fit, not necessarily the fact that it says New Orleans. I have a hard time finding hats that fit my head properly, sadly.

jwzguy

Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 03:46:39 PM

Yeah, I've moved all of my operations over to Bitfloor at this point.  I'm done with MTGox.  As soon (or even IF) I can get my last $10,752 bucks out of MTGox, I'll not be trading there again.

Been very happy with my experiences with Bitfloor. Seems like a good operation.
jwzguy

Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 04:23:07 PM

Run by Roman Shtylman  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=37090 who resides in NY.

Replies to emails immediately, excellent customer service. Bitfloor also has the best matching order matching engine in existence.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 04:26:28 PM

Run by Roman Shtylman  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=37090 who resides in NY.

Replies to emails immediately, excellent customer service. Bitfloor also has the best matching order matching engine in existence.
Yeah as far as I know, he is the only exchange that runs an engine that uses FIX as well as REST for the API. Also offers liquidity rebates.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 11:35:58 AM

Another day, another fail by MTGox.  They are still holding $10,000 and now refuse to even give me a time frame as to when it might be processed.  Though they helpfully stated that they would "let me know when it's processed."  Gee thanks... like I wouldn't know from Dwolla and the fact that, you know, my balance in Dwolla increased.

hashking

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 07:51:15 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2012, 10:23:00 PM by Maged

Again, that's fine .. but I'm not being given a choice in this matter.  MTGox tells me they will do X, they fail to do X. Repeatedly.  It's not a one time mistake, that's my point. 

This sound just like BFL.  Very interesting. 

We could just change out MT GOX and replace it with BFL.

Again, that's fine .. but I'm not being given a choice in this matter.  BFL tells me they will do X, they fail to do X. Repeatedly.  It's not a one time mistake, that's my point. 
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 08:05:29 PM

Except, if I contact BFL and ask for my money back, they will give it to me, free of charge.

MTGox, if they consented to give it to me at all (which is dubious at best), would charge me at least half a percent for the privilege... so yeah, nothing like BFL really.

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 03:23:47 AM

inb4 mem starts bitching to Inaba like an idiot

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 05:48:31 AM

Still nothing from MTGox.  Weak.

At least they have not called the police on you.. yet...

Financial institutions, and their current and former directors, officers, employees, agents, and contractors, are prohibited from disclosing SARs, or any information that would reveal the existence of a SAR.
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:03:40 AM

I have trouble believing anything you say.
repentance

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:31:08 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2012, 06:45:41 AM by repentance

While Japan supposedly criminalises "tipping off" under its AML/CFT provisions, Mark did post this openly.  Whether it would count as "tipping off" is up for debate I guess as he refers to "law enforcement" rather than JAFIC specifically or the filing of a STR (you'd think nations would standardise the terminology for these reports).

Quote from: MagicalTux
Something you seem to not understand is that this is already a law enforcement matter. Your actions may be against the laws in most countries (at least Japan and USA) and threats are not helping much.

Anyway we reach a conclusion on the current investigation (which you can help by providing documentation explaining your multiple identities) not much can be done.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78244.msg872685#msg872685

I'm not defending Goat.  What happened was exactly the kind of activity which should trigger further investigation, but just because organisations are not supposed to make customers aware of reports to AML regulators and/or financial intelligence units doesn't mean it never happens.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
repentance

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 07:05:17 AM

I forgot that he openly posted that on the forum :/

I only remembered it because it being discussed in an open forum was a WTF moment and you asking to cancel the wire transfers and remove your money by another means made your behaviour look even more suspicious.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 01:19:24 PM

keep us updated, i wonder how long it will take gox to fix this...

^this, interested to hear their allegations

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 01:42:52 PM

Another day passes and MTGox still holds my $10,000 without recourse. 

Gonna hit a month, soon.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: