Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 10:05:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does innovation and an active developer really matter?  (Read 1134 times)
JackRipper (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:59:05 PM

Why are innovative coins with active developers doing so poorly. I'm sure that there are some exceptions, but it seems that the good coins and the cut-and-paste coins are doing equally poorly. If this is true, what does it take to be a successful coin? Any insight you might have is appreciated.

var53

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:04:32 PM

The only non-innovative coins at the top of coinmarketcap seem to be about a year old, or older. I think they are successful coins because they were around when there was not too much competition. Around last Christmas there were only about 30 coins on coinmarketcap compared to 500+ today.
choeymethod

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:12:28 PM

I think so, yes it depends though, whether the market needs that particular innovation or not. For example I think the first project that will be able to launch a functioning decantralized market or, the IoT is gonna be huge, so that's were I'm investing in, because I think that there will be a huge demand for this type of innovation.
JackRipper (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:51:42 PM

I think so, yes it depends though, whether the market needs that particular innovation or not.

That's a good point. Many features that seem like innovation is really just a new bell or whistle. If the market doesn't want it or need it, it has no impact on the value of the coin.

AleCrypt0

Activity: 157
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 08:06:03 PM

Innovation and active developer are not the only factor of a coin's success. Active and committed developer is a prerequisite of coins life itself.
Innovation could only increase the price in markets for a range of time. Unless this innovation goes affecting and upgrading the overall coin's performances.
There is a net difference between VALUE and PRICE, for a currency.

I.E. VALUE is given to a coin mostly (and maybe only) by its USABILITY in the real world. If you have a counter value in good or services, as BTC mainly does, there you can have a Value of your coin, and increase it with the enlargement of your coin's usage.

PRICE is just a consequence of the VALUE itself, apart of the swing happened because of pump, dumps and natural market volatility.

Just my two satoshis

Wink

djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2014, 08:10:54 PM

Why are innovative coins with active developers doing so poorly. I'm sure that there are some exceptions, but it seems that the good coins and the cut-and-paste coins are doing equally poorly. If this is true, what does it take to be a successful coin? Any insight you might have is appreciated.

at the moment coins are just hyped by pump&dump group scammers... the problem is that some part of crypto crowd think that scamming is ok to make profit and let this happening, because they don't understand that it will hurt any long term profit they could make.

So actually basically honest dev who spends time to develop something just get ignored as the developpement probably takes too long (why wait 3 months for an original coin when you can launch 3 shit coin a day and makes more profits) and the guy are most likely pain in the ass to scammer teams because they usually don't care about IPO and crap like that.

the good news is that can change the trend: just ignore every IPO coin. If they don't collect your btc, they will stop making that crap and find other way to scam you (or other crowd). So say no to IPO coin and coin with innovation

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
AleCrypt0

Activity: 157

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 08:12:22 PM

at the moment coins are just hyped by pump&dump group scammers... the problem is that some part of crypto crowd think that scamming is ok to make profit and let this happening, because they don't understand that it will hurt any long term profit they could make.

So actually basically honest dev who spends time to develop something just get ignored as the developpement probably because it takes too long (why wait 3 months for an original coin when you can launch 3 shit coin a day and makes more profit) and the guy are most likely pain in the ass to scammer team because they usually don't care about IPO and crap like that.

I quite agree to this, but it's fair to say that a lot of so called nice project are just a part of that mechanism you call pumpanddump coins scammers.
Sumo

Activity: 1098

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 08:30:54 PM

There needs to come a time where coins aren't released until many features are ready to go out of the box. Imagine what kind of success there would be with a fully developed coin on release.
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 09:16:53 PM

I think those matter to a degree but, adoption and popularity I think are the key factors.

Something that everyone is going to use and keep using,  ie. Google etc..

EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 11:24:33 PM

Active community, good devs, solid software, real-world applications and uses, long term commitment.
All of these, plus a bit of luck.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 11:48:35 PM
Last edit: November 17, 2014, 12:00:32 AM by qwizzie

Active community, good devs, solid software, real-world applications and uses, long term commitment.
All of these, plus a bit of luck.

There is one coin right now that has all the above +  a system of Masternodes .. its getting momentum too.

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/views/filter-non-mineable-and-premined/#USD

use google and find us... learn about us .. join us.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
bobster

Activity: 199

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2014, 07:09:57 AM

Innovation and active developer are not the only factor of a coin's success. Active and committed developer is a prerequisite of coins life itself.
Innovation could only increase the price in markets for a range of time. Unless this innovation goes affecting and upgrading the overall coin's performances.
There is a net difference between VALUE and PRICE, for a currency.

I.E. VALUE is given to a coin mostly (and maybe only) by its USABILITY in the real world. If you have a counter value in good or services, as BTC mainly does, there you can have a Value of your coin, and increase it with the enlargement of your coin's usage.

PRICE is just a consequence of the VALUE itself, apart of the swing happened because of pump, dumps and natural market volatility.

Just my two satoshis

Wink

I definitely agree with your point that active and committed developers are a prerequisite of coins life. You may take a look at a list of coins sorted by most active developer list on CoinGecko. Look at the total new commits that the developers have made on Github in the last 4 weeks. You will quickly get a good gauge of which coins show active development and which coins are pretty much stale. Also look at the number of collaborators and you will know whether it is a 1-man show or a team of people building this coin
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:12:21 AM

They don't matter in the bear market, if you talk about the price. Mid-term (11-12 months) all cryptos are going down or sideways, no matter how much innovation, etc. The question is: what will you do?
Cheesus

Activity: 692
Merit: 254

terra-credit.com

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 09:45:50 AM

They don't matter in the bear market, if you talk about the price. Mid-term (11-12 months) all cryptos are going down or sideways, no matter how much innovation, etc. The question is: what will you do?

Crypto market constantly bearish. I feel like last year autumn was one time exception.

I wonder if world is ready for cryptos at all... Doesn't matter whether they are innovative or not.

███████████████████████
  █████████████████████ 
    ███████████████████ 
      █████████████████ 
███████████████████████
          █████████████ 
            ███████████ 
              █████████ 
                ███████ 
                  ████ 
                    ███ 

terracredit