Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:00:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's wrong with this picture?  (Read 3736 times)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 02:58:05 AM

I don't think DeepBit or Eligius are the problem - the problem is people want to use the network for free.

If that attitude doesn't change at some point and if paid transactions aren't given highest priority, then when block rewards cease the network hashrate will probably fall significantly and network security will suffer.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 03:06:48 AM

I don't think DeepBit or Eligius are the problem - the problem is people want to use the network for free.

If that attitude doesn't change at some point and if paid transactions aren't given highest priority, then when block rewards cease the network hashrate will probably fall significantly and network security will suffer.

The problem is the re-definition of "Free".  My understanding is that Tycho is looking at changing his pool's settings to include transactions that were being ignored.  As of right now, Deepbit only allows a small number of "free" transactions, BUT Deepbit considers transactions using 0.0005 BTC/KB  to be "free" currently, thus limiting how many it will put into a block.  At this stage of the network, that seems like a problem since the DEFAULT value is 0.0005 BTC/KB.

There are other problems with redefining what a "free" transaction is at the current stage of Bitcoin development:
1) There is no easy way to add a fee to a transaction with bitcoind or bitcoin-qt.  Basically bitcoin does it in the background, using the fee per KB you specified in configuration.
2) There is no easy way to know what fee your transaction will include (if any) until you try to send it using bitcoin-qt.  Using bitcoind will send it and just tack on the fee without telling you in advance.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 03:16:32 AM

... and at this point right now when I post there are 4100 outstanding transactions in my memory pool ...

Edit: and after the last LP 20 minutes ago the count was 3426

Edit2: and after a '50BTC' block just now - still 3719

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 03:19:05 AM

... and at this point right now when I post there are 4100 outstanding transactions in my memory pool ...

4400 Now.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 03:21:08 AM

The problem is the re-definition of "Free".  My understanding is that Tycho is looking at changing his pool's settings to include transactions that were being ignored.  As of right now, Deepbit only allows a small number of "free" transactions, BUT Deepbit considers transactions using 0.0005 BTC/KB  to be "free" currently, thus limiting how many it will put into a block.  At this stage of the network, that seems like a problem since the DEFAULT value is 0.0005 BTC/KB.

There are other problems with redefining what a "free" transaction is at the current stage of Bitcoin development:
1) There is no easy way to add a fee to a transaction with bitcoind or bitcoin-qt.  Basically bitcoin does it in the background, using the fee per KB you specified in configuration.
2) There is no easy way to know what fee your transaction will include (if any) until you try to send it using bitcoin-qt.  Using bitcoind will send it and just tack on the fee without telling you in advance.

I follow that. Thanks for the explanation.

Going OT for a moment, I think transaction fee use might be easier if, as well as the current 'pick a fee' system, the client had an option that just listed "Priority 1", "Priority 2" .. etc which a user could select when sending a transaction and each "Priority" level corresponding to a particular fee/kb.

This would make it easier to judge how much of a fee should be considered for a given priority, and will make it easier for mainstream use.

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 03:43:01 AM

I follow that. Thanks for the explanation.

Going OT for a moment, I think transaction fee use might be easier if, as well as the current 'pick a fee' system, the client had an option that just listed "Priority 1", "Priority 2" .. etc which a user could select when sending a transaction and each "Priority" level corresponding to a particular fee/kb.

This would make it easier to judge how much of a fee should be considered for a given priority, and will make it easier for mainstream use.

There definitely does need to be some work done on the current way fees are handled, and how they are shown to the user.  Ideally, the client would be able to show the following:

1) Currently known TX queue - How many transactions total, and how many have fees
2) Fee to send a transaction with low priority (current 0.0005/KB system)
3) A place to enter a higher transaction fee manually for the single transaction.  Ideally the client would give a suggestion of a fee to give the transaction a high chance of confirming.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 03:58:23 AM

Usually I'm including 50 Kb of free TXes in each block. That was more than enough until the recent flood.
Sometimes this free zone was enlarged to quickly clean the queue, but at this moment I don't think that current queue can or should be cleaned that way.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 04:53:28 AM

Usually I'm including 50 Kb of free TXes in each block. That was more than enough until the recent flood.
Sometimes this free zone was enlarged to quickly clean the queue, but at this moment I don't think that current queue can or should be cleaned that way.

Why is 0.0005/KB not sufficient for a transaction to be included in your blocks? At a rate of 10 minutes/block, and 35 BTC transaction fees/day, that equates to ~0.243 BTC transaction fees per block in extra income for you.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
DeepBit
Donator

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 05:04:23 AM

Why is 0.0005/KB not sufficient for a transaction to be included in your blocks? At a rate of 10 minutes/block, and 35 BTC transaction fees/day, that equates to ~0.243 BTC transaction fees per block in extra income for you.
Sadly I don't have enough hashrate to mine one block per each 10 minutes.
I think that including more free transactions is not worth the risk for me, especially for ~0.06 BTC per day (according to your numbers).

0.0005 BTC was set as default fee when USD/BTC was somewhere around $22, so it was at least one cent. Now it's not.
If people think that confirmation of their transaction worths less than one cent, then may be it's not that urgent and may wait a bit more ?

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Gladamas

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 05:07:28 AM

Sadly I don't have enough hashrate to mine one block per each 10 minutes.

No, I was just saying that you would get 0.243 BTC extra per block you mine, you might not get every block, but for the ones you do mine you would get the extra money.

Just wondering, what is the disadvantage of including transactions in blocks? Internet transfer fees?

Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 07:32:22 AM

I think that including more free transactions is not worth the risk for me, especially for ~0.06 BTC per day (according to your numbers).
No. 0.243 BTC extra per block. So if you Mine 40 blocks in a day your making a bonus of 9.72BTC approx.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 12:41:09 PM

0.0005 BTC was set as default fee when USD/BTC was somewhere around $22, so it was at least one cent. Now it's not.
If people think that confirmation of their transaction worths less than one cent, then may be it's not that urgent and may wait a bit more ?

This.

Bitcoin will need to move to a pay for performance model.  Paying a quarter penny (USD) for a tx should get you a quarter penny service level (which is we will do it when we get around to it).  While I am not as large as Deepbit I exclude all tx with fee less than 0.002 fee.  I also add 0.01 to all my outgoing txs.  Never had a problem with a slow or delayed tx for "some reason".
Gladamas

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 07:10:46 PM

So, what is the problem with including low-fee transactions in blocks? Just want people to pay more so you can get more coins? Or are >2 MB files (block downloads) a problem for you?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 07:13:52 PM

So, what is the problem with including low-fee transactions in blocks? Just want people to pay more so you can get more coins? Or are >2 MB files (block downloads) a problem for you?

So what is the problem with not including a fee to ensure your transaction is in the next block?  Just want people to do more work for less so you can keep more coins?  Or is a fraction of a penny a problem for you?

Smiley
DeepBit
Donator

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 08:19:12 PM

Actually yes, block size is important, otherwise I wouldn't care.
It's not like I want to get real profits from TX fees.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 03:27:52 AM

Actually yes, block size is important, otherwise I wouldn't care.
It's not like I want to get real profits from TX fees.

... yet.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 09:05:03 AM

They haven't needed to ... yet ... due to the fees they charge.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 09:06:43 AM

I actually meant that when Tx fees make up the lion's share of miner earnings, DeepBit will want to get real profits from Tx fees.

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 06:22:47 PM

I actually meant that when Tx fees make up the lion's share of miner earnings, DeepBit will want to get real profits from Tx fees.
in addition to the fees they charge
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 10:08:00 AM

I started a thread regarding the pool orphan rate and high transaction volume issue here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88302.0

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: