Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:06:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: More than a year and still no consensus on uBTC unit? Consensus is overrated?  (Read 1791 times)
thms (OP)

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 02:10:34 PM

After more than a year discussing and we still haven't decided what to call 100 satoshis or even if the new unit should be 100 satoshis to begin with. Is consensus overrated?
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 02:23:08 PM

I think ppl get used to the traditional unite, using 8 decimal or satoshi. Even the applications of bitcoin themselves are using this default setting. No matter the new users or existing users are bothering to make any change.
chakra74

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 09:27:48 PM

We all know the general consensus is "bit".  I've been using the term for months, and it's plastered all over Reddit.  I know some people here disagree with the name, but you can't deny that it's by far the most popular and used term by many factors.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 09:29:36 PM

Exactly why do we have to agree on a name?
Call it whatever you want. Smiley
As long as you write 100 uBTC people should know what you're talking about.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 09:41:10 PM

We all know the general consensus is "bit".

Yah well, the IQ of a crowd is the sum of IQs divided by the square of the number of people.

Bit is well understood to be the smallest unit of the binary number system a single 1. It is also widely understood to mean 10 cents, but more historically 12.5 cents, being an 8th piece of an 8 real coin, the Spanish Dollar.

So calling something that is neither 1, 10, or 12.5 a bit is just fucking retarded.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
chakra74

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:16:56 PM

Bit is well understood to be the smallest unit of the binary number system a single 1. It is also widely understood to mean 10 cents, but more historically 12.5 cents, being an 8th piece of an 8 real coin, the Spanish Dollar.

It's also more importantly half of the name of the currency we're dealing with.  The name is "bit"-coin.  It always seems like people conveniently forget to mention that the name of the proposed new term is IN THE NAME OF THE ACTUAL COIN!
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 10:33:30 PM

It's also more importantly half of the name of the currency we're dealing with.  The name is "bit"-coin.  It always seems like people conveniently forget to mention that the name of the proposed new term is IN THE NAME OF THE ACTUAL COIN!

Which is why some new users assume 1bit==1Bitcoin.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 12:56:01 AM

And "old" ones like me, who never saw this "bits" term before it was debated on BCT. How many bitches are in a bitchcoin?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 02:32:16 AM

You say 'we' haven't decided, who is the 'we' that will have the final decision? Are you saying there should be a poll or something?
Just hope we are not relying on the bitcoin foundation to name it.
I thought someone once suggested calling it a finny after Hal, id be happy with that.

Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 02:41:46 AM

Yea, I have never used Bit, and still won't. It's just stupid. Anyone who never heard bit before or doesn't know what it represents, will assume Bit=Bitcoin i.e 1 Bit=1 Bitcoin, which isn't the case.

Using the word Bit is stupid as hell.

Consensus works only if people educated on the subject are the only ones entitled to vote. Having people who have No Idea about Bitcoin or how it works, "vote" on something like this is just stupid.
xrobesx

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 03:48:27 AM

I feel like I'm seeing bits more and more, not sure if i support it.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 04:53:03 AM

After more than a year discussing and we still haven't decided what to call 100 satoshis or even if the new unit should be 100 satoshis to begin with. Is consensus overrated?

No.

The problem is that nobody has put together a decentralized voting system for the community / world to convey its consensus.

I stll have *no* idea why this hasn't been done. 

Chit chatting (sorry, "discussing") something on a discussion forum doesn't result in change.  Its too unorganized, and diffuse.

Someone needs to put together a voting system for the "community" (which ultimately will be the world) to make decisions on these things.  To make decisions on Bitcoin development.  For prioritizing enhancements to the protocol.  For major efforts like Sidechains.  To decide when they get implemented. 

To move us *forward*.

Who will create the Blockchain Decentralized Consensus Voting System?

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
TinaK

Activity: 1106
Merit: 527

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 05:19:12 AM

it just shows uBTC is not necessary
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 05:31:23 AM

If a bit is 100 satoshis, is a byte 800 satoshis?

KingOfTrolls

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 07:52:48 AM

We already have consensus:

1 bitcoin = 100 million satoshis

What else do you want? And why?

I know what you mean:

1 sec = 1 second
1 min = 1 minute

...and even:

1 bike = 1 bicycle

However — from my experience — most newbies intuitively assume that a "bit" must be the smallest unit, i.e. they think that 1 bit = 1 satoshi, which would be the better definition to begin with.
KingOfTrolls

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 08:31:31 AM

We all know the general consensus is "bit".  I've been using the term for months, and it's plastered all over Reddit.  I know some people here disagree with the name, but you can't deny that it's by far the most popular and used term by many factors.

No.

Satoshis are used far more often than "bits". Just have a look at posts like this and that.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 12:57:16 PM

Nobody favors decasats, kilosats and megasats then? Cheesy

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 02:23:37 PM

"bit" is relatively popular as a name for 100 satoshis.  "by far the most popular" is defensible but a bit of a stretch; support for "microbitcoin" or some abbreviation thereof is certainly not insignificant, particularly as "μBTC" stands for "microbitcoin" just as "km" stands for "kilometer" and "GB" stands for "gigabyte".

There is most certainly not a "general consensus".  The term "consensus" strongly suggests the approval of all or almost all people involved.  Even a cursory glance at the responses in this thread will reveal that, far from being almost universally accepted, the term is still highly antagonistic.

Perhaps the only terms which enjoy a "general consensus" are "bitcoin" and "satoshi".  The fact that the syllable "bit" partly undermines "bitcoin" is, in my opinion, the root of the controversy, and the reason we will not achieve consensus for a very long time.
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:45:16 AM

IMO 100 satoshi is still not worth enough to have it's own unit as people will almost never measure the amount of bitcoin in these terms while bitcoin is trading at ~$380. As a result there will be no one that actually uses such unit of measure so it would not be possible to reach a consensus.

You are essentially asking for the protocol to be forked when there are no miners
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 06:27:31 AM

Right. At $375, this is a non-problem. 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: