Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:27:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does it even matter if you buy at $300 vs $400 vs $600.....  (Read 3273 times)
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 02:53:50 AM

Some of us are already  drinking the motherfucking coffee.... We made a lot of money from the early days when btc was worth hardly anything to the ath

I believe most of us can't say this though. I know I sure can't. I'm still a noob and didn't get in until December 2013.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:05:28 AM

Or Bitcoin gets overtaken by an altcoin in the next few years and it will be game over. Whatever it will be: don't assume that you are entitled to another rally above 1000 dollars. Hell, I first want to see if Bitcoin can have 3 months of growth before we start talking about trains or the moon again.

This type of blissful ignorance is why many people out there get burned. 'In the past it rose to 1000 dollars, so it MUST go higher now'. If the past would be a guarantee for the future, that type of thinking would indeed work out. Only it doesn't.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Hey that's kind of mean to the butters!

Yes it's technically true *technically* that Bitcoin is only 500K - 2M users and it's been almost 6 years now.   Whatsapp came out in the same year as Bitcoin and has over 600 million users.

If something couldn't go viral over 6 years, despite it being all over the news (I hear about Bitcoin on television more than Whatsapp and Facebook), then it's proof that Bitcoin is good concept butpoor execution and mainstreet isn't going for it.

Nowadays there's something like 1500 alternates in total - *of course* most of them are $hitcoins but there's 6 to 12 good ones with new code and new ideas.  If an alternate does go viral then it will surpass Bitcoin's userbase in months.  Bitcoin's 500K - 2M users is smaller than club membership at hotels, airlines, online dating sites, et cetera.

While I kind of agree, in all fairness, Bitcoin shouldn't be compared to these things. Social media is like television. It rots the brain, and everyone yearns for acceptance by the masses. FB is nothing but a popularity contest for those that never grew up after high school. Of course a revolutionary money system can't compete, people are gluttons for punishment and won't change until they're forced to.

TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:57:47 AM

Or Bitcoin gets overtaken by an altcoin in the next few years and it will be game over. Whatever it will be: don't assume that you are entitled to another rally above 1000 dollars. Hell, I first want to see if Bitcoin can have 3 months of growth before we start talking about trains or the moon again.

This type of blissful ignorance is why many people out there get burned. 'In the past it rose to 1000 dollars, so it MUST go higher now'. If the past would be a guarantee for the future, that type of thinking would indeed work out. Only it doesn't.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Hey that's kind of mean to the butters!

Yes it's technically true *technically* that Bitcoin is only 500K - 2M users and it's been almost 6 years now.   Whatsapp came out in the same year as Bitcoin and has over 600 million users.

If something couldn't go viral over 6 years, despite it being all over the news (I hear about Bitcoin on television more than Whatsapp and Facebook), then it's proof that Bitcoin is good concept butpoor execution and mainstreet isn't going for it.

Nowadays there's something like 1500 alternates in total - *of course* most of them are $hitcoins but there's 6 to 12 good ones with new code and new ideas.  If an alternate does go viral then it will surpass Bitcoin's userbase in months.  Bitcoin's 500K - 2M users is smaller than club membership at hotels, airlines, online dating sites, et cetera.

While I kind of agree, in all fairness, Bitcoin shouldn't be compared to these things. Social media is like television. It rots the brain, and everyone yearns for acceptance by the masses. FB is nothing but a popularity contest for those that never grew up after high school. Of course a revolutionary money system can't compete, people are gluttons for punishment and won't change until they're forced to.

Especially not a free service or even the search engine example.   I did provide the example of paid online dating and hotel and airline clubs and those people are definitely paying substantial $Fiat for those memberships.  Bitcoin doesn't have to conquer the world but it could definitely become a tourism currency or a remittance currency.

Then we have Jeffrey Robinson, the author behind several Bitcoin books, who claimed that the Bitcoin membership could be as low as 250,000 people.

To me this isn't really acceptable over 6 years and it does beg the question where Bitcoin went wrong.  Is it the kooky internet libertarians? Is it the "Get quick rich kids" (as Robsinson had put it in interviews - although a lot of them fit into the kooky internet libertarian category).  Is it the security vulnerabilities?   Is it the scammers and MtGox?  Is it the half hour confirmations and 24gb blockchain?  Is it Satoshi being anonymous and the allegations he could own 5%-10% of all Bitcoins.  Is it the allegations and rumours that Bitcoin could be a NSA plot?

If people were optimistic about Bitcoin itself then all that $1.6 billion that has gone into the ecosystem as venture investments would instead had gone into actual Bitcoins.  As well main street would be racing in and sending Bitcoin to the moon.  

I watch the Financial Channel / Radio in the background and I always hear "Bitcoin Bitcoin Bitcoin" but the market itself isn't reflecting that hype.  Mainstreet obviously does not like Bitcoin.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 05:09:09 AM

Of course it matters, nobody likes to lose their money in value, it's like stock market all over again. Unless you have billions of BTC in wallet, you would mind about the value.

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 06:40:06 AM

Of course it matters, nobody likes to lose their money in value, it's like stock market all over again. Unless you have billions of BTC in wallet, you would mind about the value.

It matters but not to the extent people are stressing over
@10k+  a btc who gives a shit if you paid 300 or 400?

These day trading bears are the only ones bitching about the price in order to force it down a bit but it's not going to make much difference in the bigger picture

This is their last scramble to acquire more Coins as the next positive news might put full  coins out of the reach of most people's budget

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 06:47:54 AM

Yes, actually it does. The guy who bought at $300 will have twice as much as the buy who bought at $600.

+1 haha!!

but does it matter if you have a ton of money or fk ton of money.. Tongue

This is actually a very underrated question, even though it's made in jest, especially if the future price only peaks at $599.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 09:02:40 AM

All these are good buying prices. Of course, it would be much better to buy at $0.01, but you have to find a balance between greed and sanity.

i am satoshi
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 02:42:59 PM
Last edit: November 20, 2014, 02:53:55 PM by Dafar

Especially not a free service or even the search engine example.   I did provide the example of paid online dating and hotel and airline clubs and those people are definitely paying substantial $Fiat for those memberships.  Bitcoin doesn't have to conquer the world but it could definitely become a tourism currency or a remittance currency.

Then we have Jeffrey Robinson, the author behind several Bitcoin books, who claimed that the Bitcoin membership could be as low as 250,000 people.

To me this isn't really acceptable over 6 years and it does beg the question where Bitcoin went wrong.  Is it the kooky internet libertarians? Is it the "Get quick rich kids" (as Robsinson had put it in interviews - although a lot of them fit into the kooky internet libertarian category).  Is it the security vulnerabilities?   Is it the scammers and MtGox?  Is it the half hour confirmations and 24gb blockchain?  Is it Satoshi being anonymous and the allegations he could own 5%-10% of all Bitcoins.  Is it the allegations and rumours that Bitcoin could be a NSA plot?

I was actually taking you seriously before realizing you are just another idiot talking out of your ass.

If people were optimistic about Bitcoin itself then all that $1.6 billion that has gone into the ecosystem as venture investments would instead had gone into actual Bitcoins.  As well main street would be racing in and sending Bitcoin to the moon.  

Uh no, that makes no sense at all. Hedge funds might, but venture capital investors will invest in the ecosystem--applications built around bitcoin and the blockchain, like apps built off the internet and smartphones-- as they are, because there are tons of opportunities and money there, and this in turn will help with adoption. WhatsApp didn't need billions of dollars invested for its foundation to spread to the masses, another reason why your initial comparison was short sighted.

Lol @ "main street would be racing in and sending Bitcoin to the moon".... and why the hell would they do that? Why would they even touch bitcoin without proper regulation and legal guidelines? Again, this is not a simple tech app like facebook or whatsapp... this involves money, laws, regulations, implementation, process changes, etc.

I watch the Financial Channel / Radio in the background and I always hear "Bitcoin Bitcoin Bitcoin" but the market itself isn't reflecting that hype.  Mainstreet obviously does not like Bitcoin.

I call complete bullshit on this one.... there is no media hype going around lol wtf are you listening to?? Let's Talk Bitcoin broadcast? Keiser Report? If anything, any media attention I've seen this year has been negative or misinformed for the most part.

I like good arguments against bitcoin which I thought you were doing at first, but now it's clear you don't know what you're talking about

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:55:10 PM

In a falling trend, your purchase order should be fixed amount of dollar, $50 apart all the way down to 0, and then your average cost will always be close to the bottom no matter where price goes

Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:59:23 PM

In a falling trend, your purchase order should be fixed amount of dollar, $50 apart all the way down to 0, and then your average cost will always be close to the bottom no matter where price goes

are you a fan of macross plus?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:59:47 PM

$20,000

we would be lucky if it ever hit $1100 again let alone $20000

Not goin to happen.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:05:17 PM

$20,000

Not goin to happen.

I like how you just know for sure. Why don't you keep shorting?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:09:04 PM

wait 2016 and you see.
var53

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:10:35 PM

$20,000

Not goin to happen.

I like how you just know for sure. Why don't you keep shorting?

I read posts from years ago where people were just as certain the price would never go above $5 ever again. The fact they knew the future for sure didn't stop the price eventually going way above $5 though.
C0ins_R_U5

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:15:50 PM

The lower the price, the greater in difference of total coins you can purchase.. as price increases again it becomes more difficult to double up.. pretty basic, but most people overlook the basics at times.  I suspect it will continue to go in the longterm as well.  There were many who made a bunch from the cheap days.. and there are many stocking up now (will someday be considered the cheap days as well?), as the coins "change hands" ... as they say.

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 11:16:04 PM

Super simple price model, where Bitcoin captures 1% of a couple of stupidly obvious target markets:

Live version: http://worldbitcoinnetwork.com/BitcoinPriceModel-Alpha.html

Play around with the live model. It's fun and intuitive and possibly life-changing. Wink
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 01:33:01 AM

$20,000

Not goin to happen.

How can you be so sure? It is possible that Bitcoin could drop to $0, but it is equally possible that it could exceed $1100 by a large margin. It all depends on whether adoption rate reaches critical mass or not. In the long term, there won't be any middle ground. People who get too comfortable trading this $300-$400 range will eventually lose their shirts.
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:07:13 AM

$20,000

Not goin to happen.

How can you be so sure? It is possible that Bitcoin could drop to $0, but it is equally possible that it could exceed $1100 by a large margin. It all depends on whether adoption rate reaches critical mass or not. In the long term, there won't be any middle ground. People who get too comfortable trading this $300-$400 range will eventually lose their shirts.
Satoshi said that in 50 years the transaction volume will either be near zero or will have vastly expanded (not an exact quote). If volume is close to zero then the price will likely be at similar levels, and if the TX volume has expanded (due to increased consumer/business adoption/acceptance) then the price will likely have increased substantially
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:09:19 AM

Price is pretty low at the moment

Very unlikely to drop below 250 imo

We will see future prices of 10K+ its just a matter of time

You should all be buying as much BTC as possible right now!
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 06:54:35 PM

Price is pretty low at the moment

Very unlikely to drop below 250 imo

We will see future prices of 10K+ its just a matter of time

You should all be buying as much BTC as possible right now!
A matter of time huh? Cause one millennium is a matter of time.

I still think prices are prepped for upward rally movement, but not that much.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: