Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:18:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: The pool currently runs at a 0 expected fee. Would you prefer a 1 percent fee in exchange for the pool paying out for all solved blocks including those that fail to mature? Majjority rules.
No, keep it the way it is.
Yes, impose a 1% fee and pay out for all blocks including those that fail to mature.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Continuum Mining Pool: No fees; Client uptime monitoring via twitter and email  (Read 50138 times)
martok (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:24:43 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 01:53:18 AM by martok

Hello,

I would like to announce the availability of the Continuum mining pool. It is new and could use some testing. The pool runs with no fees and is aimed at more serious miners, though all are certainly welcome. The pool supports long-polling and should provide good connectivity to north-american miners. It also supports monitoring of miners; if your miner hasn't submitted a share within a defined period, you will get an email or Twitter to that effect.

Usage:
Simply connect your miner to continuumpool.com port 8332. Use the bitcoin address to which you would like to be paid as the username and use any password. I recommend that you use a different Bitcoin address for each worker so that balances and uptime monitoring can be set per-worker.

The pool provides an RPC interface. It does not provide a web interface, though anyone is welcome to write one. To use the RPC service, connect to http://rpc.continuumpool.com:8330/rpc and use the following methods.

balance(workeraddr) Returns confirmed unpaid balance
balancecurrent(addr) Current round balance
roundstart() Returns the time of the start of the round.
monitoradd({worker => 'workeraddr', 'contact' => 'mailto:me@mydomain.com', 'sharetime' => '5 minutes', 'name' => 'some descriptive name'}) Adds an email monitor. If the worker hasn't submitted a share in set time, an email is generated
monitordrop({id => monitorid, worker => 'workeraddr'}) Cancels a monitor. Get the ID from the generated email.

Once again, testing and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xenon481

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:28:14 PM

Share or Score based?

When are confirmed balances paid? At x time, threshold, etc?

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:50:51 PM

I am using the scoring algorithm described here:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4787.0
It was designed to prevent pool-hopping attacks.

Payout is automatic when the worker hits 1 BTC.
xenon481

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 05:04:29 PM

Payout is automatic when the worker hits 1 BTC.

Thank you, sounds great!

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 07:34:29 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2011, 08:07:51 AM by martok

For those interested, here is a little bit of perl that sets up a monitor for a worker. Replace the obvious bits.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use JSON::RPC::Client;
my $client = new JSON::RPC::Client;
my $uri = 'http://rpc.continuumpool.com:8330/rpc';
$client->prepare($uri, ['hashrate','roundstart','monitoradd','dropmonitor', 'balance','balancecurrent']);
$worker = '1NNdsxTuF1p9J9hmFKoxdM3ki4GgMBajN7';
$res = $client->monitoradd({
'worker' => $worker, 'contact' => 'mailto:me@mydomain.com',
'sharetime' => '10 minutes', 'name' => 'My 5970'}));
print "Success" if ($res == 1);

Using the framework above, you can get the pool hashrate with:
print $client->hashrate(undef);
or the worker hashrate with:
print $client->hashrate("workeraddr");

balance and balancecurrent work the same way.
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 11:56:44 PM

Twitter monitoring support is in. You simply use twitter:username instead of mailto:username in the contact field shown above. When your miner goes down, you'll get a DM which you can have Twitter send to your phone etc.

Note: you must be following ContinuumPool on Twitter for this to work.

If there is interest, I can add the ability to query balances, set up monitors etc via Twitter. Might be handy for those who don't want to code RPC clients.
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 04:34:40 AM

To the user submitting shares with a username which is not a valid bitcoin address: you can no longer use a username which is not a bitcoin address so are no longer able to submit shares. That being said, we found two quick blocks today so you are owed some BTC assuming they mature. If you can PM me with the username your client was using and a BTC address, I will have them credited to you.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 04:44:00 AM

Cool, a Canadian based pool Cheesy ! I definitely shall give your pool a try.

Do you pay out from generated blocks or directly like Luke's (Eligius) pool?

Seems like a clone of Luke's (Eligius) pool, but it doesn't really matter. The more pools the better.

Now for some quick questions. Are you running this off of a dedicated connection (data center) or a shaw cable connection Wink? Do you have a backup server or some sort of high availability setup?

Also where do you guys get the pool software from? I too would like to setup a similar type of pool for me and a bunch of friends. Any chance of sharing the software?

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 05:08:31 AM

I'm very excited to hear this! I'm switching my 2.2 GH/s from slush as soon as I have the time. I'll be happy to further advise you about the implementation details.

By "no fees", you mean a balancing negative fixed fee?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:21:33 AM

I'm very excited to hear this! I'm switching my 2.2 GH/s from slush as soon as I have the time. I'll be happy to further advise you about the implementation details.

I would appreciate that. The implementation is pretty simple and is in a single PLPGSQL function I would be happy to post in your thread.

Correct, that was the only way I could see to implement this. So c = 0.001 and f = (-0.001/0.999) or -0.001...
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 05:32:10 AM

Correct, that was the only way I could see to implement this. So c = 0.001 and f = (-0.001/0.999) or -0.001...
Right. Be mindful of the effect these parameters have on the variance of yourself and the participants'.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:33:42 AM

Cool, a Canadian based pool Cheesy ! I definitely shall give your pool a try.
I would appreciate any feedback.
Do you pay out from generated blocks or directly like Luke's (Eligius) pool?
Up until last round, the payouts were from generated blocks IE 120 confirmations later. However, I think I have direct payment working. We'll see if it generates direct payments on the next block and go from there. But that is the direction in which I would like to go.

Seems like a clone of Luke's (Eligius) pool, but it doesn't really matter. The more pools the better.

Eligius is an Excellent pool. I wanted to do more with notifications of downed miners though. IE when a miner is down, I want an SMS etc. Luke definitely has the payment system right though.

Now for some quick questions. Are you running this off of a dedicated connection (data center) or a shaw cable connection Wink? Do you have a backup server or some sort of high availability setup?

I have two servers, though only one is currently running the pool. I will either do a failover DNS setup or possibly a round-robin approach to balance the load between the two servers. For now though, I am more focused on seeing whether the system will stand up to some load other than that which I impose myself. I imagine most folks have failover setups of their own. IE if a pool fails, fallback.

Also where do you guys get the pool software from? I too would like to setup a similar type of pool for me and a bunch of friends. Any chance of sharing the software?

I am using pushpool for the backend. It is written by someone else but is free software. You can search the forums. The database and RPC stuff is custom. Though I would be happy to share it, it probably wouldn't be very useful.
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:38:40 AM

Right. Be mindful of the effect these parameters have on the variance of yourself and the participants'.
Indeed. I'm still not commited to the current value of c but in my local testing it performed alright. It will be interesting to give it more wider testing.
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 03:01:19 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2011, 08:08:33 AM by martok

We are now hosted on a commercial softlayer server. Not that uptime has been a problem but now we can do fallback if we need to. New host is continuumpool.com for mining and rpc.continuumpool.com:8330/rpc for RPC interface.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 11:27:59 AM

Anyone want to setup a neat graph thingy like someone did for Eligius? I am lazy. Tongue

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
fortyniner

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 01:41:37 PM

with Eligius down, just moved my 700+ Mhash miner to Continuum.  Smooth sailing so far.  Thanks.
fortyniner

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 08:15:50 PM

I see miner stats swinging from 440 to 930 Mhash; must be a very short duration (instantaneous?) calculation.   And with a current Overall hashrate of 3.X Ghash/s and no block since 5/17 ... we're likely to be solving one soon.
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 09:05:53 PM

The hashrate calculation uses a 5 minute window so that's very strange indeed. I was doing some database work today so maybe that might explain it.
We actually found 3 blocks on 17-may.
It's worth noting that the probability of finding a new block doesn't increase with the round duration. It is the same for a 1 minute round as it is for a 4 day round.
fortyniner

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 01:43:08 AM

You are, of course, correct on probability.  I look at it from the gambler's point of view, not the mathematician's.  Six days of nothing means good luck's comin'.  Is your server really in Canada?  I'd guess Texas.

And did you break the "last round" stat or me?  http://www.continuumpool.com/roundstart.php reports nothing for me.
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:13:18 PM

And did you break the "last round" stat or me?  http://www.continuumpool.com/roundstart.php reports nothing for me.
Sorry, I broke it. Should be working now. Thanks for the heads up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: