Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:33:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: The pool currently runs at a 0 expected fee. Would you prefer a 1 percent fee in exchange for the pool paying out for all solved blocks including those that fail to mature? Majjority rules.
No, keep it the way it is.
Yes, impose a 1% fee and pay out for all blocks including those that fail to mature.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Continuum Mining Pool: No fees; Client uptime monitoring via twitter and email  (Read 50151 times)
anisoptera

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 11:08:39 PM

Once you get multiple miners to single address working (and perhaps a bit more hash power) I might move to your pool Smiley Lack of registration requirement is great.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brocktice

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

Apparently I inspired this image.

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 11:43:55 PM

I uh, invited some friends. How's the server holding up?
Indeed, and they found a block.

Server load is pretty much where it was when we started. Sitting at 0.3 with most of that being consumed by bitcoind itself.

Looks to me like it's having issues, the miners are going idle a lot, and the rpc is down.

http://media.witcoin.com/p/1608/8----This-is-nuts

My #bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=brocktice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

Like my post? Leave me a tip: 15Cgixqno9YzoKNEA2DRFyEAfMH5htssRg
martok (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 01:00:57 AM

I uh, invited some friends. How's the server holding up?
Indeed, and they found a block.

Server load is pretty much where it was when we started. Sitting at 0.3 with most of that being consumed by bitcoind itself.

Looks to me like it's having issues, the miners are going idle a lot, and the rpc is down.

Is this still the case? I have been implementing the payout aggregation stuff so had to restart the pool a couple times. If it's still happening, let me know and I'll start through the logs.
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 01:05:32 AM

You can now aggregate your worker payments by logging in with
workeraddr;paymentaddr
as your username. workeraddr is still the primary address to which notification monitors are tied etc, paymentaddr is the address to which payments can be sent. So for example, if you have multiple workers, you can set the same paymentaddr for all of them to get to the 1 BTC payment threshold faster.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2011, 03:00:14 AM

Thanks for the work on this pool - was hoping someone would implement Meni Rosenfeld's algo. Couple of comments -

my hashrate is reported at continuumpool as 10 - 30% higher than it actually is ( I'm at an average of 350 MH/s as reported by poclbm and R tools, I'm seeing 400 to 450MH/s from the website). I'm not complaining, and it's probably normal variability, but I thought you'd want to know.

also, on www.continuumpool.com you've written:

The RPC interface can be accessed via rpc.pl and is documented in the Bitcoin forum.

I searched for RPC in the forums and got wayyyyy too many hits - do you have a link I've missed in this thread?

Cheers

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 06:39:34 AM

Thanks for the work on this pool - was hoping someone would implement Meni Rosenfeld's algo. Couple of comments -
Well, it's far from perfect but we're getting there.

my hashrate is reported at continuumpool as 10 - 30% higher than it actually is ( I'm at an average of 350 MH/s as reported by poclbm and R tools, I'm seeing 400 to 450MH/s from the website). I'm not complaining, and it's probably normal variability, but I thought you'd want to know.
I'm pretty sure it's just variability. It's just reporting the shares it gets back within 5 minutes so you may have been just hitting a lot of shares. There is a report above that hashrate was 15% below poclbm so maybe the formula could use some smoothing. I don't really pay much attention to it personally.
also, on www.continuumpool.com you've written:

The RPC interface can be accessed via rpc.pl and is documented in the Bitcoin forum.

I searched for RPC in the forums and got wayyyyy too many hits - do you have a link I've missed in this thread?

Check out the first few posts in this thread for RPC documentation and PERL code samples. They should get you on your way. I'll link the source code to those little scripts on wwww.continuumpool.com as well as that might help people write their own monitors.
fortyniner

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 01:40:50 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2011, 03:40:06 PM by fortyniner

I do not see payment from last block solve of 05-27.  That's the only issue I've seen. 
EDIT: now I see it...  5/28/11 11:00
anisoptera

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 05:24:18 PM

You can now aggregate your worker payments by logging in with
workeraddr;paymentaddr
as your username. workeraddr is still the primary address to which notification monitors are tied etc, paymentaddr is the address to which payments can be sent. So for example, if you have multiple workers, you can set the same paymentaddr for all of them to get to the 1 BTC payment threshold faster.

Does workeraddr have to be a valid Bitcoin address when I do this, or can I generate my own arbitrary worker name and follow it with an actual address?

If not, is there any reason you can't make it this way? It would really make my life easy Smiley

martok (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 07:31:56 PM

Does workeraddr have to be a valid Bitcoin address when I do this, or can I generate my own arbitrary worker name and follow it with an actual address?

If not, is there any reason you can't make it this way? It would really make my life easy Smiley

It needs to be a valid address. The reason for this is because monitors need a unique value per worker and creating your own name would have no guarantee of uniqueness. The other reason is a problem of previous shares. Let's say I switch my worker to the a payto address mid-round. My worker address has a balance between 0 and 1 but now will never reach 1 because new shares are being credited to the new payto address. Having the same valid worker address still present will allow the pool to pay out the previous worker address once the payto address + worker hits 1 BTC. Er hope that makes some sense.
anisoptera

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 02:47:33 AM

It needs to be a valid address. The reason for this is because monitors need a unique value per worker and creating your own name would have no guarantee of uniqueness. The other reason is a problem of previous shares. Let's say I switch my worker to the a payto address mid-round. My worker address has a balance between 0 and 1 but now will never reach 1 because new shares are being credited to the new payto address. Having the same valid worker address still present will allow the pool to pay out the previous worker address once the payto address + worker hits 1 BTC. Er hope that makes some sense.

Sure, but the combination of payment address and worker name is almost guaranteed to be unique, even if it's not a bitcoin address. If I am bringing a new miner here, I don't need the association with old mined BTC, and it'd be more meaningful for me to just name them something reasonable.

Of course, I could just write fake bitcoin addresses that contain the name I want, but that seems inefficient. Smiley

martok (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 03:07:37 AM

Sure, but the combination of payment address and worker name is almost guaranteed to be unique, even if it's not a bitcoin address. If I am bringing a new miner here, I don't need the association with old mined BTC, and it'd be more meaningful for me to just name them something reasonable.

Of course, I could just write fake bitcoin addresses that contain the name I want, but that seems inefficient. Smiley

I see what you're saying. But if we did that, we break the whole monitor API as that takes a worker address. Though you can associate a meaningful name in a monitor for things like Twitter and email alerts. If the pool switched to potentially non-unique worker names, we would need to redo monitors, of which there are currently quite a few. Feel free to put in dummy BTC addresses though.
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 07:57:20 PM

I have applied an async RPC patch to bitcoind. Hopefully it will drastically reduce RPC errors and idle miners. I had no idea bitcoind blocked the entire process for a getwork request.
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7757.0

Let me know if you're still getting RPC idle messages.
Transcendental

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 05:36:19 AM

Three questions:
1) I seem to be getting a TON of invalid/stale exceptions now - did something drastic change?
Or have I messed something up with my settings? invalid/stales are current around 30% of what I am generating.

2) I have been unable to login to the pool with poclbm using "-u wokeraddr;paymentaddr" where workeraddr and paymentaddr, could you perhaps give an example?

3) I am using multiple computers over a lan, is there someway I can set this up to connect to your server from only one of my computers?

Thanks.

martok (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 07:25:46 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2011, 09:53:52 PM by martok

Three questions:
1) I seem to be getting a TON of invalid/stale exceptions now - did something drastic change?
Or have I messed something up with my settings? invalid/stales are current around 30% of what I am generating.
I broke LP. Fixed now but I'll watch the logs for stales for the next hour and see if that fixes it.
2) I have been unable to login to the pool with poclbm using "-u wokeraddr;paymentaddr" where workeraddr and paymentaddr, could you perhaps give an example?
Try -u "worker;payto"
or to avoid the quotes
-u worker0payto
0 also works as a seperator because 0 cannot appear in a bitcoin address.
So:
poclbm -u "16d1jmkPHy26aCTA9TzCD5LbByMVHb4Wu1;1AkUQgtqHbiN4hpYX7VbJVR5hhhb3SAck9"
works for me. Feel free to post your command line though and I'll give it a test over here.

3) I am using multiple computers over a lan, is there someway I can set this up to connect to your server from only one of my computers?

You could use the mining proxy discussed on the forum elsewhere. That proxy can switch over to another pool if the primary is down also. You would have all your lan computers connect to the proxy and have the proxy connect to the pool.

(edit) added 0 seperator.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 10:59:16 AM

Do you aggregate payouts from the same IP? I have 6 poclbm instances running on two machines, each with a different address, and it seems I got to one of the addresses the rewards for all.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 05:34:53 PM

Do you aggregate payouts from the same IP? I have 6 poclbm instances running on two machines, each with a different address, and it seems I got to one of the addresses the rewards for all.
No. The IP is not used in any payout calculations so that is strange indeed. I am using the sendmany RPC call to batch send transactions into a single TX but your bitcoind should still show you receiving payments on different addresses.
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 12:48:48 AM

For those wanting PPS payment, it is now live. Simply use yourpaymentaddress;pps or yourpaymentaddress0pps as the username. PPS miners will not affect regular miners and PPS carries a 5% expected fee. Regular mining is of course still at no fee. However, PPS was requested so there it is.

edit: PPS payout rate:
http://www.continuumpool.com/ppsrate.php
or preferably through the ppsrate RPC call.

edit: You can now pass a boolean pps (null by default) argument to hashrate.
pps => null = overall hashrate
pps => false regular miners only
pps => true only pps miners
brocktice

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

Apparently I inspired this image.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 07:33:58 PM

monitordrop({id => monitorid, worker => 'workeraddr'}) Cancels a monitor. Get the ID from the generated email.

How can I get the monitor ID if I'm using twitter but not email?

http://media.witcoin.com/p/1608/8----This-is-nuts

My #bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=brocktice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

Like my post? Leave me a tip: 15Cgixqno9YzoKNEA2DRFyEAfMH5htssRg
martok (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 07:41:14 PM

monitordrop({id => monitorid, worker => 'workeraddr'}) Cancels a monitor. Get the ID from the generated email.

How can I get the monitor ID if I'm using twitter but not email?
Yeah that's a problem. I'll adjust the twitter msg to include a disable url sometime today. If you're removing a worker though, you'll only get alerted once when it goes off. Point taken nonetheless.
Transcendental

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:01:59 PM

I have been able to login using "worker;payto" now for some reason.. Although I had tried quotes before and it was not working. My problem now is how do I get an accurate hashrate for the workers combined, as well as unconfirmed balance? If you do an rpc-call to the payment address, it does not properly display either clienthashrate(paytoaddr) or currentbalance(paytoaddr)
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: