Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:27:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin 100+ - The Internet's Richest Bitcoiners  (Read 6312 times)
Anonymous

May 17, 2011, 05:45:55 PM

Objective: Create a confirmed comprehensive list of the community's wealthiest members in terms of Bitcoin assets.

How do you get ranked?

Simply post your current amount of Bitcoins and then divide them among 5 different wallets. Post each wallet in your post through http://blockexplorer.com. This may seem excessive but it prevents people from cheating the ranks.

After I've checked your post, you will be added to the ranks shortly.

Have fun.

The Ranks:

None as of yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 05:57:31 PM

I would guess most bitcoiners would not be interested in advertising this information publicly.
It would invite all sorts of trouble.
Hackers... Governments... who knows what else....

Anonymous

May 17, 2011, 05:59:44 PM

I would guess most bitcoiners would not be interested in advertising this information publicly.
It would invite all sorts of trouble.
Hackers... Governments... who knows what else....
We'll see. There are some braggers out there. Besides, it can be pretty pseudo-anonymous. Your online identity doesn't have to represent you.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:18:40 PM

I doubt they'll talk themselves. But we can see who we've got.

Possibly, the #1 is some Lousiana Purchase dude. In Oct and Nov 2010, people solt BTC for ridiculously low prices on mtgox. The trade volume is enormous. A single person with just 100k USD on his hands might have bought a million BTC back then.

Then, there's the developers and early low-risk adopters, who have been mining back in 2010. Until recently, mining BTC wasn't all that hard. If someone just kept a good rig running over the last year, he probably has a good share of BTC today. Also, there's those who take percentages out of large flows: mtgox and the slush pool.

So... ArtForz, slush, exchanges, developers who were with this early... that's where the extreme amounts of BTC are to be expected.

Investors who came later probably make less than 1M BTC in total, judging from mtgox volume and a guess that some BTC were traded back and forth multiple times. But I can't be sure.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:00:42 PM

I'm not sure I understand the instructions. Are you suggesting that the person announces their balance here, then moves it to 5 other addresses so that they can post links to Bitcoin Block Explorer as evidence?

Apart from the fact that few people would go to that much trouble, there is the downside that by consolidating your coins you link their histories together. Not everyone will want this.

Atlas, why don't you show your own wealth? If no-one else shows theirs, you will be permanently ranked Richest Bitcoiner #1.
unk

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:13:58 PM

i'm unclear on the instructions too: what would verify ownership claims to funds described by a link at the block explorer?

also, unless i'm missing some of the history, i'd have no reason to think the pool operators are fantastically wealthy. indeed, they're charging what i take to be very competitive fees given their costs. for example, slush's pool pulled in 1400 btc yesterday, from which slush earned 28 btc in fees.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:17:38 PM

I am not interested in publicly announcing my bitcoin net worth onto any public forum, anonymously or otherwise.  I would seriously doubt that anyone else will either.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
riX

Activity: 326
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:26:39 PM

I can't see anything positive about publicly announcing ones wealth; I can however see many disadvantages:

• Problems with tax authorities
  • Increased risk of being exposed to crime, targeted viruses/trojans, hacking attempts, computer theft etc. (And a lot of beggars).
  • Bad karma on the forum - many of us do have something against early adopters who "got free money on behalf of the latecomers".
  • Other stuff I can't think of now

Sorry, I can't help you with your lost password.

PGP key: 0x9F31802C79642F25
abyssobenthonic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:34:40 PM

Was it knightmb who had (at least until last report fairly recently) 370k BTC?  Since that's more than 1% of the BTC that have been mined, he's in the top 100.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 12:20:52 AM

I'm not sure I understand the instructions. Are you suggesting that the person announces their balance here, then moves it to 5 other addresses so that they can post links to Bitcoin Block Explorer as evidence?

Apart from the fact that few people would go to that much trouble, there is the downside that by consolidating your coins you link their histories together. Not everyone will want this.

Atlas, why don't you show your own wealth? If no-one else shows theirs, you will be permanently ranked Richest Bitcoiner #1.

[emphasis mine]

not only do you link their history - you damage their value.  my understanding is that solo-mined virgin blocks will always command a premium price over the current market, since they are the most anonymous Bitcoin extant.  the mixer sites need those...  yes?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 12:22:35 AM

[emphasis mine]

not only do you link their history - you damage their value.  my understanding is that solo-mined virgin blocks will always command a premium price over the current market, since they are the most anonymous Bitcoin extant.  the mixer sites need those...  yes?

No.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Anonymous

May 18, 2011, 02:50:53 AM

I would if it didn't require me to take my private keys out of my vault.
BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:56:31 AM

Hopefully the rich bitcoiners will also be philanthropers
Anonymous

May 18, 2011, 03:15:22 AM

Hopefully the rich bitcoiners will also be philanthropers
Simply having that much capital to invest is philanthropy enough. I doubt they will just be sitting on the stuff.
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:32:54 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2011, 11:36:33 AM by ribuck

So you'll need to assemble the list based on supposition (like The Times newspaper does for their "Rich List") and let people correct your suppositions if they wish. Here are a few wild guesses to get you started:

satoshi: 500,000
artforz: 400,000
knightmb: 372,000
Legion: 46,850 (claimed here)
happyland 14,000 (claimed here)
vladimir: 2100
atlas: 1500
uukgoblin: 1000 (offered for sale at #bitcoin-otc)
kiba: 100
Joseph: 0.13

Smiley
Joseph

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 01:15:37 PM

I'm kinda curious about this!
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:01:48 PM

I'm kinda curious about this!
I added you to the list. Feel free to supply a more accurate figure.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:11:32 PM

Find out who the early gpu miners were and you'll know who has a lot of bitcoins. But even them may have  hard time competing against the holdings of the early early adopters who even with CPUs earned mad bitcoins (to borrow an expression from the hip hop community)!

What's mind boggling to think is how 1000 BTC is now such a large sum of money when last year I used to think I couldn't even buy some bubble gum with that much.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:29:15 PM

Being an early adopter doesn't necessarilly mean you're rich, you only got "mad coinage" if you didn't spent most of what you've earned

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Shortline

Activity: 123

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:59:19 PM

Ahh, the richest bitcoiners!

Rich to buy all this and dollars too!

Poor to buy anything else.

Don't you think this is better left to the April 2018 issue of Forbes magazine?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: