Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:42:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which exchange can be seen as the most secure one for funds?  (Read 1220 times)
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2014, 10:23:56 PM

I wanted to ask what exchanges you think are the most secure ones. If MtGox would still exist i guess most would say its the most secure one though we know it wasnt. So im interested in exchanges that are coded secure most probably, maybe work from the coders are known, exchanges that have a solid ceo, and maybe arent in a country with risks. For example btc-china seems to be the biggest exchange and i guess its best for trading. Unfortunately its in china and personally i see the risk that at one point in time the chinese government takes them down for whatever reason. Next biggest one seems to be bitfinex. They have shorttrading and more. Is it risky for the exchanges funds that this is implemented?

And so on.

What do you think? What exchanges hold possible risks that can be seen?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2014, 11:20:31 PM

Any exchange that exclusively controls private keys holding "your" BTC cannot be seen as "the most secure", let alone "secure". That is every exchange.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 11:50:39 PM

Well, i can clearly say there is a risk with btc-e .  No one knows who owns the site, they are anonymous.
Knowing that, dont u feel they are unsecure ?
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2014, 02:12:30 PM

btc-e sounds definitely insecure then.

I know that every exchange means a risk because they hold the coins at least. Though risks can be lowered when the persons behind are really known, security is tight, support is responsive and so on. I see the risk of exchanges in general though they are needed not seldom. So i would like to see a risk evaluation of the biggest exchanges. I mean if you cant avoid then them its best to use the less risky ones. And to spread the risk use 2 or 3 ones so you cant lose everything if your exchange goes down.

I know... a pretty dark view on the matter though i think its unfortunately a realistic one.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 02:24:31 PM

Well, i can clearly say there is a risk with btc-e .  No one knows who owns the site, they are anonymous.
Knowing that, dont u feel they are unsecure ?

I agree about that no one knows them, but that's not necessarilly a bad thing, regulators have lesser influence in this situation.

But if the owners decide to run, then we are all lost as no one knows who they are.

Then again, each exchange ceo or anyone else that can access the funds can run, and you'll never see them again.
montello

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 09:22:22 AM

I wanted to ask what exchanges you think are the most secure ones. If MtGox would still exist i guess most would say its the most secure one though we know it wasnt. So im interested in exchanges that are coded secure most probably, maybe work from the coders are known, exchanges that have a solid ceo, and maybe arent in a country with risks. For example btc-china seems to be the biggest exchange and i guess its best for trading. Unfortunately its in china and personally i see the risk that at one point in time the chinese government takes them down for whatever reason. Next biggest one seems to be bitfinex. They have shorttrading and more. Is it risky for the exchanges funds that this is implemented?

And so on.

What do you think? What exchanges hold possible risks that can be seen?
None, just do your research and pick any old one that is at least 6 months old.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: