Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:57:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: when to invest?  (Read 2452 times)
ballgum (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 10:10:39 PM

Hi, I'm sorry for the newb thread, I'm not sure this is the right place, so I apologize if not.

I don't have much money,  but have enough to invest in a few coins. Rumor is bitcoin us being adopted mainstream and will shoot up in value soon? I want to buy a couple coins while prices are low.

My questions are

1. Do you guys think bitcoin will shoot up in value (a good investment)?
2. Should I invest now,  OR will prices go lower before the go up?

I've already been verified,  so buying won't take days for me to verify my info.

Thanks
SatshiFan

Activity: 32

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 10:35:10 PM

Hi, I'm sorry for the newb thread, I'm not sure this is the right place, so I apologize if not.

I don't have much money,  but have enough to invest in a few coins. Rumor is bitcoin us being adopted mainstream and will shoot up in value soon? I want to buy a couple coins while prices are low.

My questions are

I've already been verified,  so buying won't take days for me to verify my info.

Thanks

now is a pretty good time. so far, the best predictor of bitcoin price has been the general google trend. https://www.google.se/trends/explore#q=bitcoin

as you can see there, another hype may come at any time. or, the hypes are over for some time, but it's already at a low right now. if you're investing, don't spend more money that you are prepared to lose. the coins may halve in value in a couple of months and you wouldn't want to be in the need to cash out at that point. if you buy, be prepared to lose the money and not to touch the bitcoins for a couple of years!
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2014, 10:42:06 PM

Stop thinking about it as an investment into bitcoin and start thinking about it as a divestment from a dying medium (fiat scrip promissory banknotes, which are trust-based and violence-backed).

From that new (more accurate) perspective, it is always a good time to buy and hold bitcoin.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
BitcoinExchangeIndia.com

Activity: 311
Merit: 264

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 10:47:54 PM

My questions are

Thanks

Rather than investing in bitcoin, my suggestion would be to invest in bitcoin businesses. That is gonna boom. Now, if the price is low, they'll give u more BTC, if the price is high, they'll give u less BTC.

majir

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 10:50:04 PM

Every day, is a good day, to buy bitcoins  Cheesy
MrBig

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 11:00:29 PM

You're asking if it's a good idea to invest into bitcoin on a forum where most people have a financial incentive in seeing bitcoin rise  Wink

I would wait until the 50k silk road coins are auctioned off, but that's just me.
ballgum (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 11:09:39 PM

You're asking if it's a good idea to invest into bitcoin on a forum where most people have a financial incentive in seeing bitcoin rise  Wink

I would wait until the 50k silk road coins are auctioned off, but that's just me.

Why would you wait for that? Do you mean you would buy at the auction, or do you mean you'd wait to buy bitcoins in general after the auction because price will be lower?

Thanks again!
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 12:24:15 AM

Only invest in Bitcoin, don't look at altcoins.

If you feel this is the right time to invest some of your money, do it. Don't wait.

Current price level is perfect for investing in Bitcoin, hold them and see your coins gain value Smiley
poncom

Activity: 318

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 12:32:54 AM
Last edit: November 25, 2014, 01:46:18 PM by poncom

Last Christmas the price was $1000+ and now it's about $370. This might be as low as it gets or it might drop further. Ultimately it's a gamble but there is a god chance you will be buying on a low right now and can sell on a high in the future.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 12:53:33 AM

Dollar cost averaging is the best investment advice I think. You can invest it all now, but prices could go lower still and you should be prepared for that. So that's why I would recommend to buy your coins spread out evenly over the course of 2-3 months or so. Personally I think the price is going to surge up very soon, but nobody can say when this will happen. Perhaps this week, or maybe we'll see another dip first next month and then suddenly in January or February a huge spike out of nowhere when the ETF is being officially announced. Who knows it might not even happen at all.. just know the risks don't go all-in and purchase some coins with a cool head once every week or so. Smiley

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
smalltimer

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 01:29:47 AM

hard to say. Currently it looks like could be bottom forming. But i do personally expect some stagnation now.

Do not hesitate to sell if it keeps declining once you bought.

You don't get good advice around here because most are brainwashed in believing bitcoin will be the worldcurrency by next year so be aware of perma-bull-tards.
Arv1e

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 02:08:30 AM

Hi Ballgum,

Let's keep the answer simple. the reason to invest is if you believe in the tecnology and underlying principles. If you do and not looking to make a fast buck (as in, you are happy to leave it in BTC for a year or more) then it's a good time to buy.

I did my research in the summer and bought at 680 580 and 400 (12 BTC). It still dropped in price so I bought another 110 at $300 as i beleived that to be the bottom of the bear market.

I am looking to leave it in BTC for a long time unless i really need it. I will also try and do some scalping along the way although missed selling TWICE by 3 points. I have a sell order in around 435 and will look to buy back in around 400 assuming I dont change my view.

Best advice is go to the UDEMY site and listen to the free lectures on bitcoin. This will give you a detailed explantion of BTC, the technology, economics and money in general.

Accept it as a risk but, in my opinion BTC will rise although it will do it in a wild roller coaster fashion.

Hope this helps
Arv1e

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 02:16:58 AM

Why would you wait for that? Do you mean you would buy at the auction, or do you mean you'd wait to buy bitcoins in general after the auction because price will be lower?

Thanks again!

Regarding the auction, Go listen to UDEMY lectures as it will help explain. The silk road auction is selling 40,000 BTC off so its a lot to dump onto the market. If the buyer is looking to acquire BTC its not an issue BUT if he is looking to buy at a discount and then 'dump' its a lot for the market to absorb without having a detrimental affect.

Saying that, a guy did put a limit order onto bitstamp about 2 months ago selling 30,000 at $300 during a bear period and that order got filled within 5 hours and then the price rose to $370

He is suggesting that the sale may have a negative affect on BTC price so maybe wait until then.. Back to  why I said... If you are in for a long time then buy and wait
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 07:14:55 AM

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 07:43:08 AM

get some spare cash onto an exchange and have an order sitting at $300 while you're thinking about it. We might get a double bottom with this latest auction, but maybe not. If you have a low order on an exchange at least you will pick something up cheap if there's a little flash crash and recovery.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 08:04:58 AM

fallling spent lots of time saying we are going nowhere but down. Not few people are here to say that Bitcoin is doomed, for one reason or another
Ektra

Activity: 137
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 09:02:36 AM

Perhaps start with a small purchase, play around with the coins and get used to the system. As to when you choose to invest more significant money, it's a personal choice. Current prices are on the low side compared to the yearly average and the market is showing some strength at last, but there is still a very fair chance of some painful lower lows before we're definitely 'done' with the bear market.  I would suggest, get some coin but don't go all in, keep some funds in reserve in case of lower prices.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 09:10:18 AM

Anytime is good, just hold for at least a couple of years, spread your purchase at different time and don't all-in at once. Don't buy high and sell low Grin

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2014, 09:22:48 AM

Do not invest in fiat more than you can afford to lose.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 03:11:22 PM

Hi Ballgum,

Let's keep the answer simple. the reason to invest is if you believe in the tecnology and underlying principles. If you do and not looking to make a fast buck (as in, you are happy to leave it in BTC for a year or more) then it's a good time to buy.

This is along the lines of the advice I would give, as well.  Doing real research into what BTC is and the infrastructure being built around it was all I needed to decide whether or not I should buy some.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: