Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:56:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We are still early adopters  (Read 6306 times)
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 04:28:58 PM

Point, but couldn't you make a neat chart out of it? My opinion is that it's no coincidence that cryptocurrencies are getting their start right when people are starting to get serious about colonizing space. Someday one cryptocurrency or another is going to be pretty much the standard for interplanetary trade.

Huh
What do you know that we don't know?  I think you meant intercontinental.  Interplanetary means between planets.   Cheesy

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:05:16 PM

Someday one cryptocurrency or another is going to be pretty much the standard for interplanetary trade.

Due to the limited speed of light, you'd need a block transaction time measured in hours to days.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:25:40 PM

Someday one cryptocurrency or another is going to be pretty much the standard for interplanetary trade.

Due to the limited speed of light, you'd need a block transaction time measured in hours to days.

Because of these speed limitations it's more likely that each planet has its own blockchain with interplanetary exchanges to convert between the different cryptos.

On topic: I agree we are at the very beginning of a possible adoption curve. However there is no guarantee Bitcoin will ever reach the breakout point. The more businesses adopt bitcoin, the more likely we'll get there due to powerful network effect. That's what we hope.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2014, 05:33:27 PM

thats true. thanks for that  Wink

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:51:01 PM

Speed of light communication is so 20th century, we're onto quantum entanglement based transmissions these days, it's only in the lab yet, but demonstrated.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 06:41:57 PM

but there was nothing like the internet then.  There a lots of other payment processors/currencies/payment tools that work essentially just as good if not better than bitcoin in most situations.  I just dont get how people compare adoption of the internet to adoption of bitcoin, its not a similar situation.  

that's not really fully true. there where bbs's .. i remember using my dialup to call bbc sites. they were not connected to the internet.
u nse modem and call up bbs site and post, download files, stuff like that. there were a lot of warez bbc's.
back then there was internet but only for school teachers and was only unix based.
there was similar technology when internet was first starting. the technology was not nearly as good as it is today though of course.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 09:04:28 PM

Speed of light communication is so 20th century, we're onto quantum entanglement based transmissions these days, it's only in the lab yet, but demonstrated.

Show me a working production implementation?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 09:12:56 PM

Show me the guy on Mars that needs it... these things only tend to get pushed along when there is a killer app for them.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 09:31:12 PM

Difference is Web has 300M users at 5 years mark, we have no more than 1M users at 5 years mark. At this rate, it'll be year 2150 when we reach 1% population

Really? The internet had 300M users in 1974? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

If you mean "web" as in WWW, you're still off by an order of magnitude.

And I'd argue that Bitcoin is more foundational than WWW, and so it's far more reasonable to say that we're currently in a "pre-web" equivalent period.

But I honestly go back and forth between feeling like Bitcoin right now is equivalent to the internet in 1984 or 1994. Doesn't matter in the end, though.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
tzortz

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 11:01:17 PM

Stats everywhere...

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
rigdeer

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 01:47:31 AM

yes we are,i am sure of that.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 01:57:25 AM

if we are still the very very early adopters, what are the implications?

Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:00:08 AM

The implication being that if true mass adoption is still to come, past bubbles will look like an ant fart beside an H-bomb.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:49:18 AM

if we are still the very very early adopters, what are the implications?
Our children will blame us for having cheap bitcoins and squandering them instead of hodling.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:09:04 AM

Point, but couldn't you make a neat chart out of it? My opinion is that it's no coincidence that cryptocurrencies are getting their start right when people are starting to get serious about colonizing space. Someday one cryptocurrency or another is going to be pretty much the standard for interplanetary trade.

Huh
What do you know that we don't know?  I think you meant intercontinental.  Interplanetary means between planets.   Cheesy
What you don't know is that I am a time traveller from the distant future and our quantum computing and communications capability works wonders when it comes to making transactions very quick. Tongue Seriously though. What makes you think that each planet won't have its own cryptocurrency and exchange rates between altcoins won't be taken a lot more seriously than they are now?
sobitcoin

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:11:00 AM

Truth

Right? New technology takes time.  We're doing just fine lol
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:18:29 AM

Okay. Since we are still early adopters, let's get behind every effort for promoting Bitcoin that we can. And let's start thinking of all the new ways we can promote. Has anyone done mailings?

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 03:24:42 AM

I say we are late and adoption is not as cheap as it was before.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:43:12 AM

Absolutely true. I wish that I would have been one of the 2010 bitcoiners. In this way we are late.

Who knows the future? If Bitcoin fails, we lose. However, if we can promote Bitcoin into 10x the use that it has today, the price will probably go up some. Maybe not 10x, but maybe back to the $1,200 range.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:51:23 AM

Absolutely true. I wish that I would have been one of the 2010 bitcoiners. In this way we are late.

Who knows the future? If Bitcoin fails, we lose. However, if we can promote Bitcoin into 10x the use that it has today, the price will probably go up some. Maybe not 10x, but maybe back to the $1,200 range.

Smiley

in the future, we may be seeing prices like 3.287 cents.... per bit :-)

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: