Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:14:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everything except the price trend is going fantastic  (Read 9668 times)
lontivero (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 128

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 04:11:37 PM

It doesn't depend on the price, unbelievable! How can that be possible? I mean, it requires that BTC volumen is in function of the price. Higher price -> lower BTC volumen.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 04:43:23 PM

^
TLDR:
Bitcoin monetary base inflation = ~10% YTD
Bitcoin price inflation               = ~65% YTD

a) Agreed (approximately) on the first number, the "monetary base inflation". Even if some crypto enthusiasts like to point to the finite total no. of coins that will ever exist and think of the existing (and growing) base of mined coins as irrelevant, I personally think it is correct to call Bitcoin's monetary base "inflationary" during its bootstrapping/mining phase.

Note that the yearly inflation declines over time. For now though, it's still above 10%:
2013: ~15%
2014: ~13%

b) Your "price inflation" is bullshit of course. Otherwise, I'll go back one more year, and suddenly Bitcoin becomes hugely deflationary. Meaning, I don't get to cherry pick the periods of the market where BTC/USD hugely increased, so you don't get to cherry pick the period where it decreases. The market valuation of one bitcoin is simply not the issue here - otherwise, I point to market valuation since inception and point out we're still up more than 100,000%.

c) Finally: the fact that, despite the significant inflation of the monetary base, we went from a 1 million USD "market cap" in 2011 to a 5 billion "market cap" currently should probably tell you something, but I know it won't :3

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 05:00:03 PM

b) Your "price inflation" is bullshit of course. Otherwise, I'll go back one more year, and suddenly Bitcoin becomes hugely deflationary. Meaning, I don't get to cherry pick the periods of the market where BTC/USD hugely increased, so you don't get to cherry pick the period where it decreases. The market valuation of one bitcoin is simply not the issue here - otherwise, I point to market valuation since inception and point out we're still up more than 100,000%....

"Cherry pick the period"?  You mean choosing a year when discussing yearly inflation rate? 
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 06:14:51 PM

b) Your "price inflation" is bullshit of course. Otherwise, I'll go back one more year, and suddenly Bitcoin becomes hugely deflationary. Meaning, I don't get to cherry pick the periods of the market where BTC/USD hugely increased, so you don't get to cherry pick the period where it decreases. The market valuation of one bitcoin is simply not the issue here - otherwise, I point to market valuation since inception and point out we're still up more than 100,000%....

"Cherry pick the period"?  You mean choosing a year when discussing yearly inflation rate? 

Bitcoin/USD-exchange rate is just not stable enough to make a serious statement about that.
Such discussions are just dumb ...

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 06:18:49 PM

Yup the year u created this account to try to scare noobs into selling before u buy and dissapear back to your normal account, that year
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 06:22:40 PM

Yup the year u created this account to try to scare noobs into selling before u buy and dissapear back to your normal account, that year

Ha.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 06:33:20 PM

"Cherry pick the period"?  You mean choosing a year when discussing yearly inflation rate?  

Choosing the 1 out of 4.5 years of trading in which price is (mainly) is down to discuss, in rather general terms, the "yearly inflation rate"?

That's cherry picking, absolutely.

Average over the entire time, or break it down by year (starting mid/late 2010)

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
NotLambchop

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 07:15:02 PM

"Cherry pick the period"?  You mean choosing a year when discussing yearly inflation rate?  

Choosing the 1 out of 4.5 years of trading in which price is (mainly) is down to discuss, in rather general terms, the "yearly inflation rate"?

You trying to arguing such nonsense borders on trolling, oda.krell.  I refuse to believe you can't understand how absurd your stance is.  When talking about USD yearly inflation, do you average it over the entire life of the dollar?  Or do you use the recent year data?

The attempt to include Bitcoin's heyday is interesting, though.  If you average Bitcoin over it's entire lifespan, you will have to include the price at Bitcoin's inception, which would be 0 (zero), any other point would be rather arbitrary, or "cherry picking," as you put it.  With zero as a starting point, any increase in BTC/USD price, percentage-wise, is infinity.  Even if the price went back down to $0.01/BTC.

So yeah, Bitcoin's value has increased infinitely since its inception.  Good point.
In the past year, tho, the price has tanked by ~65%.
That's some serious sound money.

~Happy Investing!
inca
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 07:32:17 PM

I may have forgotten Lambchop, but I cannot recall you having any argument for why the price will drop in the medium term, other than "see the recent chart".

Enlighten us Smiley
Raystonn

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 07:33:24 PM

That's definitely not unchanged.  There is a clear upward trend.  Your selection of a linear chart simply zooms out so far due to the temporary spike, that it becomes difficult  for some to see.  Erase the spikes that occur around bubbles and the overall bullish trend becomes apparent even on linear charts.
NotLambchop

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 07:46:48 PM

I may have forgotten Lambchop, but I cannot recall you having any argument for why the price will drop in the medium term, other than "see the recent chart".

Enlighten us Smiley

Non sequitur?

Enlighten us Smiley
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 07:48:01 PM

That is definately not unchanged, there are days when it's 400k and days when there are 50k

It just looks unchanged because of the huge fucking spike that some spoiled kid managed
inca
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 08:14:57 PM

Leave logic aside and please enlighten us!
NotLambchop

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 08:24:33 PM

^
So thaat you can come back with something equally clever and apropos, like "I cannot recall you having any argument for why water is wet, enlighten us <durr emoji>."
Not falling for your fiendish ploy, bro Angry
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 11:24:08 PM

You trying to arguing such nonsense borders on trolling, oda.krell.  I refuse to believe you can't understand how absurd your stance is.  When talking about USD yearly inflation, do you average it over the entire life of the dollar?  Or do you use the recent year data?

Why of course, how silly of me. Here, this should satisfy your high standards of data presentation, I hope:

USD inflation by year:

BTC inflation by year:

Negative numbers = deflation.

~Happy Investing!

NotLambchop

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 11:33:56 PM

Why of course, how silly of me. Here, this should satisfy your high standards of data presentation, I hope:

You accused me of cherry picking because I chose year as a time span when discussing yearly inflation.
After I explained to you why you were wrong, you came back with some catty line about my high standards.
You've finally crossed over into the full-blown troll territory, oda.krell.

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 11:35:23 PM

NotLambchop

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 11:53:54 PM

^Yes, I remember 2013 real well--great time for Bitcoin.  The glory days were glorious, but nao it's time to let go, oda.krell Sad
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 12:08:51 AM

^Yes, I remember 2013 real well--great time for Bitcoin.  The glory days were glorious, but nao it's time to let go, oda.krell Sad

When they return, will you let go and... you know.. go away?

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 12:31:03 AM

"Quick! Sell ALL the Apple stocks!"

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: