Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:38:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] Open Source pooled mining platform with web interface  (Read 18786 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:23:32 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2011, 06:33:19 AM by SgtSpike

Due to the recent discussion of the possible security issues with deepbit.net and other large pool miners controlling too much of the overall hashing power (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8653.0), I would like to open up a bounty thread for an open source pooled mining platform with an already-coded web interface.

The installation and configuration of this pool software should be extremely simple, to where anyone who is able to set up their own miner, buy webhosting with MySQL and a VPS/dedicated server for bitcoind, and has some basic knowledge of how to use said hosting package, should be able to set it up.

User-side setup actions should be limited to:
- Setting a configuration file for the server that miners connect to to get work
- Entering a username/password for future administrative access to the backend configuration of the web side of things
- Inputting database settings within an administrative backend of the web interface for MySQL data storage

MySQL tables should be automatically created without user intervention.  As long as the files are properly uploaded to the website, the pool server is running on said webhost's VPS or another server with proper port-forwarding, and the MySQL database information has been given, the pool should be up and running, and anyone can connect.  DNS address creation can, of course, be optionally executed by the user of the pool.

Does anyone want to start off the bounty for this project with a promised number of BTC if said project is seen to completion?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 06:26:48 AM

Does anyone want to start off the bounty for this project with a promised number of BTC if said project is seen to completion?

Do I get any cut of the bounty after writing two FOSS pool servers?  Smiley

The installation and configuration of this pool software should be extremely simple, to where anyone who is able to set up their own miner, buy webhosting with MySQL, and has some basic knowledge of how to use said hosting package, should be able to set it up.

A webhosting account probably would not permit you to run the requisite bitcoind.

You'd need at least a VPS, and even a VPS isn't strong enough to be a public pool server...

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 06:32:49 AM

Do I get any cut of the bounty after writing two FOSS pool servers?  Smiley

The installation and configuration of this pool software should be extremely simple, to where anyone who is able to set up their own miner, buy webhosting with MySQL, and has some basic knowledge of how to use said hosting package, should be able to set it up.

A webhosting account probably would not permit you to run the requisite bitcoind.

You'd need at least a VPS, and even a VPS isn't strong enough to be a public pool server...
If it is contributory to the codebase for whatever comes out of the project, then yes, I'd say you should get a cut.  I have no idea the best way to determine the cut percentages though, so someone else should step in and give some ideas on that front.

Some minimum estimated system requirements from current pool owners would be nice, regarding VPS and miners.  I'd imagine that a VPS could run it ok up to a certain point of mining activity, then it would have to move to a dedicated host.  Something like:

Requirements for 100 connected miners
Requirements for 1000 connected miners
Requirements for 10000 connected miners
etc...
xf2_org

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 08:03:09 AM

Some minimum estimated system requirements from current pool owners would be nice, regarding VPS and miners.  I'd imagine that a VPS could run it ok up to a certain point of mining activity, then it would have to move to a dedicated host.  Something like:

etc...

It isn't that easy.  Pretty much every single public pool created > 30 days ago has suffered from DDoS attacks.  A single, lone VPS would simply keel over, no matter how many connected miners.

gkolt

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 12:07:05 PM

Ok, so lets forget about the simplicity of running it into a webhost, and lets just make the web interface interacting with poolserver/bitcoind.

We are already able to make a poolserver (pushpool) and run it just fine, we're just missing some documentations (on pushpool) and the web interface/frontend.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:36:22 PM

etc...

It isn't that easy.  Pretty much every single public pool created > 30 days ago has suffered from DDoS attacks.  A single, lone VPS would simply keel over, no matter how many connected miners.
Good point.

gkolt, agreed.  Let's focus on the programming that needs to be done for such a project.
metonymous

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 04:41:16 PM

No bounty? Is there a trustful btc website set up for pooled bounties? Like clearcoin, escrow or something?

I admire greatly that jgarzik has released so much of his code. The incentives to *not* release code ATM is greater than the incentives *to* release it. I don't know who's gonna donate much to this bounty, but I for one am amidst development of a complete stack, and given enough incentive could release it - eventually.

I've already got a tonne of scripts and such, and every time I go to push it to github I stop and go... wait, don't help the competition.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thought along such lines  Shocked
xf2_org

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 06:59:26 PM

The incentives to *not* release code ATM is greater than the incentives *to* release it. I don't know who's gonna donate much to this bounty, but I for one am amidst development of a complete stack, and given enough incentive could release it - eventually.

Yes.  This is the primary reason why I started writing pool software.  The incentive to keep your stuff private is huge.

In turn, this leads to a fewer number of large pools.

I think bitcoin will be robust and healthy with a larger number of pools.  [Tycho] is a good guy, but it is not healthy for the bitcoin ecosystem that deepbit often exceeds 40% network power.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 07:35:50 PM

The incentives to *not* release code ATM is greater than the incentives *to* release it. I don't know who's gonna donate much to this bounty, but I for one am amidst development of a complete stack, and given enough incentive could release it - eventually.

Yes.  This is the primary reason why I started writing pool software.  The incentive to keep your stuff private is huge.

In turn, this leads to a fewer number of large pools.

I think bitcoin will be robust and healthy with a larger number of pools.  [Tycho] is a good guy, but it is not healthy for the bitcoin ecosystem that deepbit often exceeds 40% network power.

So we just need a bounty incentive to exceed the natural incentive to keep your stuff private.

Any donors?
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 07:52:51 PM

I won't donate coins, but I'll definitely give time to code an open source web interface that manages a backend.
I'll also provide a fat server to test it.

If you're interested drop me a PM as I don't check the forum every day.

en3r0

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

Really all we need is a front end for pushpool: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8707.0

Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 06:54:01 PM

VPS service insecure "by design".
virtual machine[esp EMC/VMWare-based] was better, but unsecure too, even on trusted provider.
you need host it only fully-secured[physically and electronically]/controlled environment.
IMO.
otherwise it had no point.
darbsllim

Activity: 297
Merit: 251

Founder, Filmmaker, Fun Guy

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 09:42:47 AM

Where does one get started to create a pool?

What are the costs involved in buying the software to run the pool, and the hardware and servers to keep it afloat?

B

Brad Mills,
Investor - Former miner - Former Bitcoin Business Owner - Survivor of the Great Bitcoin Crashes of 2011 and 2012, the MtGox Heist of 2014 & the 2017 crypto bubble.
Bitrated user: bradmillscan.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:36:16 PM

I will bounty 100 BTC. Must have at least same or more features than actual known pools.
On the other side, I think that any serious pool operator, must run his pool on a dedi server provider WITH ANTI-DDOS capabilities from the start. Any less will fail.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
lizthegrey

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 01:21:43 AM

Something that I'm working on (that won't cover the web frontend bit) but that will significantly reduce the expense involved in running a pool: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ciKH3M8WYS49ywz08beXtvpCm2wVGdzU7waKwcn_uaU/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=CJTqyOMF#
lexa500

Activity: 46

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:09:25 AM

I can donate my own dedi for testing and some miners too.
freeborn

Activity: 47

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:07:54 PM

first post  Cool .. loooooong time lurker.

please add 30btc to the bounty!

I can also offer a dedicated server for testing and a nice handful of workers to start.

Id really like to see this happen, the massive growth of deepbit and slush has taken a bit of my confidence away from bitcoin.  Lots of communities having the ability to form there own pools will change this.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:40:44 PM

That's a 130 BTC bounty then!

freeborn - 30 BTC
gusti - 100 BTC__
TOTAL - 130 BTC
freeborn

Activity: 47

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:57:48 PM

push pool is the best base to start with right? http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8707.0

all my testing will be done on debian.

things that I thought were important:
* ability for new users to sign up and log in (is this a separate db?)
* users must be able to create/delete new workers (this interacts with the pushpool database)
* calculate shares per round
* automatic pay outs?
* Also, graphing is a must.

I currently work on deploying OSS this includes lots of documentation etc.  So if someone begins working on this during my testing I will document everything having todo with usage and installation on a wiki somewhere.

This is really needed if we dont want to rely on deepbit and slush to keep our bitcoin standard.

Also my 30btc pledge is for the first implementation, I will definitely pool more btc towards continual dev.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 11:25:17 PM

This sounds like a very interesting project, I'll definitely do it.
I'll post my conditions, requirements and a brief RFC tomorrow before going to meet with gavin and some fellow bitcoiners in Paris.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: