Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:35:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kids today are spoiled with their gaming computers!  (Read 2233 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 05:54:21 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2014, 06:06:49 AM by Lethn

lol!

But Seriously, I was on Battlefield 4 and mentioned the new processor I was getting and as expected there was at least one that bitched about how it wouldn't make much of a difference, then I mentioned the fact I had been playing with a dual core processor for about five years and there was an "Oh" and immediate silence.

No wonder games aren't optomised anymore, some people are just so used to quad cores and more they don't fucking see the point!

fyi, these will be my new specs as of Monday, I actually can't wait and I'm curled up in a ball right now having withdrawal because I'll be able to play Star Citizen at max settings if I get everything installed.

Processor: AMD FX8350 8 Core 4.0ghz
Graphics Card: HD Radeon 6970 MSI Lightning ( Switching in the graphics card because it's still plenty powerful for what I need to do )
RAM: 8GB

previous specifications:

Processor: Intel Core Duo 3.0ghz
Graphics Card: HD Radeon 6970 MSI Lightning
RAM: 4GB

To put this in perspective for the foetuses who won't understand why this will be such a life changer for me, currently a game of Battlefield 4 can take up to 5 minutes to load, according to some benchmark videos I looked at the shiny new 8 core processor I'm getting will make it so that the loading time is only up to 26 seconds, adding to that, I will no longer need to turn off my wallets to save processing power for my gaming or loading up anything else that takes awhile because of course I will have have an extra spare 4 processors chugging away in the background instead. So I'm actually going to be more productive now in my work because I'm not sitting around forever waiting for anything to fucking load! Also my games won't crash as easily so that will mean a lot less stress in general, unless of course the coding is still crap, but then I can officially blame the game at that point.

Anyone else getting a new computer for Christmas? Cheesy
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:12:18 AM

I think the best improvement over your old system (other than the RAM and processor) would be the hard drive.  An SSD can do wonders with old games, esp ones that have thousands of bitmaps to load, like Call of Duty.

Did you get an SSD on this new computer?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:16:16 AM

SSD's are just too expensive for me to justify right now, I know everybody keeps annoyingly swearing by them but honestly, as I said, you guys have no idea how slow my processor is, that's going to be the biggest improvement and as far as I'm concerned the only necessary improvement, the extra RAM will help plenty too. Spending such an amount of money on an SSD drive that isn't even that large just to shave a few seconds off the loading times doesn't sit right with me as you've seen me demonstrate It takes 5 minutes to load Battlefield currently so I'm more than happy with the idea of being able to load it in less than 30 seconds.

Going by the youtube benchmarks other games should load even faster, so yeah, I'm not bothered about SSD, talk to me in a year or two when 1TB SSD's are the same price as HDDs and I'll have probably bought one.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:24:02 AM

SSD's are just too expensive for me to justify right now,

Nonsense.  Buy a small 120GB 256GB SSD for $100.  Install your OS on the SSD, and install all your programs on your regular slow hard drive.

Trust me - I felt the same as you until I purchased one.  They are so fast you'll probably save 50% off your loading time just by having the OS on a ram drive.  No joke friend.

My main computer has a 120GB SSD as the boot drive, a 1TB drive as my program drive and a Drobo as my data storage.  Very fast.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:40:13 AM

I'll stick with my HDD until I get a nice regular income I think they work just fine Tongue
Serlite

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:52:01 AM

I personally like SSDs myself, though I agree that the difference in cost per GB between SSD and HDD is still pretty stark. The Crucial MX100 line is on the more budget-conscious end though, if you ever plan on trying one out to gauge the performance difference.

Congratulations on the upgrade, anyways! The 8350 is a nice CPU for gaming and heavily threaded applications, and it still puts up a good fight against its pricier alternatives. I only built my first computer the previous summer, so I don't have a lot of spare cash to upgrade it for now. Though the Black Friday sales are a bit tempting...

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:55:25 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2014, 07:15:04 AM by Lethn

Thanks and LOL! Don't give in! Especially if you can't afford it, those black friday sales are bloody evil and Christmas is going to be even worse, steam sales in particular Sad I'm being sensible and just putting my money to investments right now so I can grow my income, can't wait until I can play Rome 2 Total War and Sims 3 without crashing/freezing.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:33:18 AM

Dude's a hero account and claims he doesn't have money for a $100 SSD, dude sell your Bitcoins!   Cheapskate probably has several $million on his hard drive.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 07:34:44 AM

Dude's a hero account and claims he doesn't have money for a $100 SSD, dude sell your Bitcoins!   Cheapskate probably has several $million on his hard drive.

I'm unemployed for fucks sake! LOL! Cheesy I am slowly growing my coins now finally though, not all hero members are rich, though we do get some fantastic signature campaign deals which are helping me a lot.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 07:37:22 AM

Doesn't have money is one thing.  Doesn't want to spend it is another.   Smiley

He has to learn on his own how valuable a SSD drive is.  lol

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 07:38:30 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2014, 07:54:28 AM by Lethn

If I pissed away that much money on a hard drive my parents would be pretty annoyed, I can spend money on certain things, but I have to justify it, right now I don't have enough of an income to just buy that shit, that's why I said you guys are spoiled because you can shell out several hundred dollars on two new graphics cards whenever you want Tongue

Most of my money right now is going to a new computer for work and gaming and casting equipment so I can mass produce Jewellery Wink Then, THEN I might get an SSD drive if things go well and I earn money for myself. Also, if I had had several million, I wouldn't be anywhere near as active on this forum as I am now.
vm1990
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 12:25:24 PM

where you from? if its the UK next time my suppliers have a buy one get one free on id send you an SSD for £10

i know the feeling but most of the time im one of the ones with the ultimate PC (advantage to being me) im unemployed but PCs are my main pleasure in life currently iv taken a step back from PCs but will be building a new high spec one in February or there about.

like i said if you in the UK next time i get a few SSD's on buy one get one free ill send you one (might even be worth shipping overseas)

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 01:14:42 PM

lol I am in the UK but don't bother, if I want one I'll get it myself Cheesy I'm taking steps so I at least get money on a regular basis and don't have to worry >_< Tongue plus the stock market crash is coming up again of course so lots of money to be made off that mwhahahahhaaaa.
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 01:35:55 PM

lol I am in the UK but don't bother, if I want one I'll get it myself Cheesy I'm taking steps so I at least get money on a regular basis and don't have to worry >_< Tongue plus the stock market crash is coming up again of course so lots of money to be made off that mwhahahahhaaaa.

go sign on with job center... think of it as Mr Cameron having less money to spend Cheesy, people have put enough into the dump of a country its about time some of us took it back.

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 01:41:43 PM

go sign on with job center... think of it as Mr Cameron having less money to spend Cheesy, people have put enough into the dump of a country its about time some of us took it back.

lol! I won't need to if the crash comes as I'm predicting, don't you worry, actually, I might just end up being unemployed again >_< trolololololol Cheesy But seriously? Getting a job in this country is just fucking stupid, I even have a driving license but there really is barely anything out there, the whole recovery thing in the UK is pure propaganda, same goes for the U.S, when you look around in the real world, there are barely any jobs and lots of businesses still barely getting by.
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 01:48:03 PM

lol! I won't need to if the crash comes as I'm predicting, don't you worry, actually, I might just end up being unemployed again >_< trolololololol Cheesy But seriously? Getting a job in this country is just fucking stupid, I even have a driving license but there really is barely anything out there, the whole recovery thing in the UK is pure propaganda, same goes for the U.S, when you look around in the real world, there are barely any jobs and lots of businesses still barely getting by.

yep when you live in the middle of no where like i do its even harder XD but theres money to be made online just got to stick at it.. not to mention the odd job around town to help people out and get a bit of money for it Cheesy

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 02:22:03 PM

yep when you live in the middle of no where like i do its even harder XD but theres money to be made online just got to stick at it.. not to mention the odd job around town to help people out and get a bit of money for it Cheesy

Same situation for me really, my family isn't that poor, we're middle class, but we can't afford to piss away money either hence my comments about SSD lol Cheesy
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 02:46:18 PM

Same situation for me really, my family isn't that poor, we're middle class, but we can't afford to piss away money either hence my comments about SSD lol Cheesy

still well worth them when you can afford one. O.S on the ssd and games on a HDD and even with a low end PC youll see a big difference in everything you do

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 04:08:59 PM

Back in my day i played on my snes..... street fight 2 turbo, supermarioworld stuff like that.  Have to say i havent actually taken the chance to ever play the games of today, they look amazing and the 1st person shooters where you connect with people around the world seem cool just dont know if i want to get into all that as it means extra computer time.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 04:29:20 PM

The open world stuff looks fantastic, while I was able to play a couple of them some of them are getting so massive now my computer can't even run them, so that's part of my reasoning for wanting to get something that was overkill and reasonable, hopefully HOPEFULLY I'll get my gear on Monday, install it and then play Battlefield 4 for a bit without any stuttering or freezing Cheesy maybe a bit of Farcry 4 too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: