Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:29:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin ASIC mining lead to litecoin or namecoin adoption ?  (Read 13546 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 12:56:03 AM

It seems to me if GPU or FPGA will be useless mining bitcoin that they might look at mining on alt chains provided there is some return rather than selling the cards. Can you mine alt coins with an ASIC ? It seems if theres a change in the algo they are useless ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grimd34th

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 01:13:48 AM

It seems to me if GPU or FPGA will be useless mining bitcoin that they might look at mining on alt chains provided there is some return rather than selling the cards. Can you mine alt coins with an ASIC ? It seems if theres a change in the algo they are useless ?
but namecoin isnt a change in algo last time i checked, it was just a seperate chain
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 01:36:01 AM

but namecoin isnt a change in algo last time i checked, it was just a seperate chain

Interesting.  Seems if a minority do merged mining then using ASICs for namecoin could have very interesting returns.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 12:52:59 PM

Can you even merge mine using ASIC's ?

vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 06:49:00 PM

sure. the merged mining part is done on the pool side. just point your gpu/fpga/asic/quantumwhammomatic/whatever at a merged mining pool, it does the rest.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 08:34:03 AM

sure. the merged mining part is done on the pool side. just point your gpu/fpga/asic/quantumwhammomatic/whatever at a merged mining pool, it does the rest.

What do ASIC mine scrypt like ?

caston

Activity: 756

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 01:18:25 PM

I have been buying up LTC on the speculation that GPU rigs will start mining litecoin once ASICs increase the difficulty of BTC.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:02:00 PM

I have been buying up LTC on the speculation that GPU rigs will start mining litecoin once ASICs increase the difficulty of BTC.

HOLY MOLY !

I think you might be onto something here mate !!!

Thanks for the tip !
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 02:04:45 PM

Great minds think alike   Smiley

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 02:13:28 AM

The adoption of ASIC by bitcoin miners will push GPU and fpga miners somewhere else. My thinking is it will be litecoin because namecoin is merge mined.

Protip: Buy/Mine all the  litecoins you can before October.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:23:43 AM

The adoption of ASIC by bitcoin miners will push GPU and fpga miners somewhere else. My thinking is it will be litecoin because namecoin is merge mined.

+1 Agreed. I think you will see a rise in price for litecoins over the next 12 months.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Wnd

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 09:29:20 AM

+1 Agreed. I think you will see a rise in price for litecoins over the next 12 months.
You won't see 1 cent increase unless they make Silkroad for litecoin.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 09:34:00 AM

Now theres an idea....

tatsuchan

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 02:02:27 PM

Now theres an idea....

Make something better.  How about Litecoin amateur dentist/surgeon.  Get your titties lifted and your final lady-boy transformation done without all those pesky rules.  Maybe sell some organs too.  How much is a kidney worth in Litecoins?
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 09:51:12 PM

Now theres an idea....

Make something better.  How about Litecoin amateur dentist/surgeon.  Get your titties lifted and your final lady-boy transformation done without all those pesky rules.  Maybe sell some organs too.  How much is a kidney worth in Litecoins?

They are about 40 grand in USD so "a lot of ltc"

enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 10:01:34 PM

I can't speak for adoption rates but I can speak to whether ASICs can be used on alternate chains.

Any ASIC built to mine on the Bitcoin network can also mine any altcoin for which the algorithm(s) have not been changed. Since Namecoin uses the same algorithms as Bitcoin, Bitcoin ASICs should be able to mine Namecoins - the vast majority of the altcoins didn't change algorithms, actually, so the same is true for them. There are a handful of altcoins, Litecoin and Tenebrix included, which moved to scrypt() as a replacement of sha256() for one step in the process. ASICs won't work for scrypt-based altcoins, nor is it likely that ASICs can or will be built for them: the entire point of scrypt and bcrypt was to make a difficult-to-accelerate algorithm, and by design the amount of die space an scrypt ASIC would take makes it prohibitively expensive even beyond normal ASIC manufacturing costs.
Litecoin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:45:20 AM

I can't speak for adoption rates but I can speak to whether ASICs can be used on alternate chains.

Any ASIC built to mine on the Bitcoin network can also mine any altcoin for which the algorithm(s) have not been changed. Since Namecoin uses the same algorithms as Bitcoin, Bitcoin ASICs should be able to mine Namecoins - the vast majority of the altcoins didn't change algorithms, actually, so the same is true for them. There are a handful of altcoins, Litecoin and Tenebrix included, which moved to scrypt() as a replacement of sha256() for one step in the process. ASICs won't work for scrypt-based altcoins, nor is it likely that ASICs can or will be built for them: the entire point of scrypt and bcrypt was to make a difficult-to-accelerate algorithm, and by design the amount of die space an scrypt ASIC would take makes it prohibitively expensive even beyond normal ASIC manufacturing costs.

Great input. But would it be possible to use FPGA's for Litecoins? Can it be configured or modified for Litecoins?
Its very hard to believe that CPU's and GPU's are going to be the best for scrypt-based hashing.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 01:26:35 AM

Great input. But would it be possible to use FPGA's for Litecoins? Can it be configured or modified for Litecoins?
Its very hard to believe that CPU's and GPU's are going to be the best for scrypt-based hashing.

I imagine so as they are programmeable. Has anyone tried to use them for litecoin yet ?

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 03:26:14 AM

Scrypt is easily mined by anything with high integer processing power and high memory bandwidth... The latter is most often lacked by fpga devices like we see used to mine bitcoin. As high memory bandwidth is very important to gpus for 3d applications, gpus will probably remain better than anything else for hashing Scrypt in the next long while. For instance, the spartan 6 fpgas have memory bandwidth amounts an order of magnitude smaller than current generation amd gpus.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:54:49 PM

FPGAs are essentially programmable ASICs, the only meaningful difference is size and price point. FPGAs tend to be larger than ASICs and cost much more per chip. ASICs tend to be smaller and cheaper than FPGAs but you can't purchase just one, minimum order size tends to be massive because the manufacturing process has huge initial costs - once those initial costs are outlaid, however, they become quite cheap to re-manufacture new batches of. The only reason ASICs are just starting to hit the Bitcoin market is because it's taken this long for someone to amass and be willing to front that initial cost.

In short, if you can do it with an ASIC you can probably do it with an FPGA (some slight limitations/differences, but none that important). Scrypt, and therefore Litecoin, is highly resistant to GPU, FPGA and ASIC acceleration because of its high memory requirements. See this StackExchange question for more details: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/q/1305/22
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: