Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:01:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU only mining dead?  (Read 8072 times)
hack_ (OP)

Activity: 501
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 07:29:42 PM

I don't see much push for that in recent months, has the community given up?

I like the concept a lot and really wish someone would push it on.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 07:35:06 PM

I'm still on it, the new NoirShares uses modified Momentum PoW algorithm which is currently CPU only.

If you are planning an alt I would recommend either of the three versions of momentum : Memorycoin , NoirShares & ProtoShares

If you do protoshares or NoirShares, maybe put some merged mining so people can maximise profits.
barwizi
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 07:39:27 PM

You mean Botnet only mining ?
No i think you mean everyone mines with CPU while only 4 guys mine with GPU.

Is it a requirement for someone who develops a gpu miner to release it to the public without profit? I encourage people to develop and sell their code. Much like what happened with PTS.

Other than that, go my way, I keep making changes that render GPU mining inefficient.
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 07:41:21 PM

Merged mining? I've only seen that on scrypt and sha , possible with your algorithm? Has anyone actually tested GPU resistance on yours ?
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:56:32 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2014, 11:08:20 PM by tromp

I don't see much push for that in recent months, has the community given up?

I like the concept a lot and really wish someone would push it on.

To be CPU friendly you need to mostly avoid computation (which ASICs and GPUs excel at)
and focus on random access latency to hundreds of MB of DRAM (which CPUs excel at).

Cuckoo Cycle does that and is instantly verifiable. See https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo for details.
tencentcoin

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 11:05:44 PM

is very hard for only use cpu mining now throught technology

you know , all the cpu only coin finally become gpu coin Angry

spud3861

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 12:18:25 AM

Bytecent is cpu only, and actually quite possible to mine with a laptop.

TB2YQ4-H73NTI-V3UVRT-WFAJXR-BUSECT-XE4A4L-27FY
barwizi
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 12:23:14 AM

If you don't want complicated stuff just go for GPU hard algorithms, while not completely CPU only, the GPU advantage is quite small.

The current version I use was developed by Dan, Freetrade and modified by a gpu miner dev. Even with CPU mining , it effectively relies more on luck than processor power.
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2014, 02:31:08 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2014, 02:47:44 AM by djm34

If you don't want complicated stuff just go for GPU hard algorithms, while not completely CPU only, the GPU advantage is quite small.

The current version I use was developed by Dan, Freetrade and modified by a gpu miner dev. Even with CPU mining , it effectively relies more on luck than processor power.
when usually I read "modified by a gpu miner dev" (to make it gpu hard), I always think "yeah right... good one..."  Grin

Anyhow, you probably made a gpu dev very happy  Grin (well... keeping in mind that the last time at look at noirshares, there was 25% gpu dev fee... may-be he just doesn't care, he always raped the coins no matter what...  Grin)

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
barwizi
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 03:26:51 AM

when usually I read "modified by a gpu miner dev" (to make it gpu hard), I always think "yeah right... good one..."  Grin

Anyhow, you probably made a gpu dev very happy  Grin (well... keeping in mind that the last time at look at noirshares, there was 25% gpu dev fee... may-be he just doesn't care, he always raped the coins no matter what...  Grin)

So who else would be expected to know how to code against gpu implementation?

Also YOU ARE A LIAR , there was never a mining fee for NRS.
bitboy11

Activity: 534
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 09:55:49 AM

CPU mining would probably still be available on new or unpopular altcoins.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 10:12:47 AM

Check out MagiCoin:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735170.0;topicseen
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2014, 10:36:02 AM

this is funny how fast you are to jump on the "you are a liar" stuff... I might I found something here and people dealing with your coin should really be worried   Grin
Also I have absolutely no reason to lie on gpu miner fee (who gives the shit ?). I mine NRS after launch and there was a gpu miner with 25% fee, I even complained about it as each time it got disconnected, it was just restarting mining for the gpu dev (that a smart one  Grin).
But if you don't know it is ok to say "I don't know", no reason to call others "liar" over your own ignorance.

To be honest, if someone was asking me to make a cpu only coin, gpu resistant. I would probably refuse... (well with enough btc...  Grin) because having a gpu dev doing this would probably cause more FUD on the coin than anything else.

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2014, 10:41:32 AM

Memorycoin was the only coin that had botnetless CPU mining.
Other than that, CPU mining is long botted (dead)

hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 06:50:12 PM

this is funny how fast you are to jump on the "you are a liar" stuff... I might I found something here and people dealing with your coin should really be worried   Grin
Also I have absolutely no reason to lie on gpu miner fee (who gives the shit ?). I mine NRS after launch and there was a gpu miner with 25% fee, I even complained about it as each time it got disconnected, it was just restarting mining for the gpu dev (that a smart one  Grin).
But if you don't know it is ok to say "I don't know", no reason to call others "liar" over your own ignorance.

To be honest, if someone was asking me to make a cpu only coin, gpu resistant. I would probably refuse... (well with enough btc...  Grin) because having a gpu dev doing this would probably cause more FUD on the coin than anything else.

I managed to get a copy of the original NRS and the material surrounding momentum.

I found lots of miners, some you pay some you don't, some mine a bit to some hard coded address , some whack shit.

but the actual momentum is pretty interesting, I am testing out the difference between GPU vs CPU and while the difference is noticeable, it's not as bad as I've seen elsewhere.

Barwizi, why did you change it?
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 06:55:23 PM

So you mean the memorycoin implementation is better? I haven't had a chance to really look at the difference.

I'll test it out later , I want to first compare the balances of my gpu vs cpu NoirShares 1.0 .

OrientA

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 07:40:44 PM

Monero is CPU minable. GPU does not have much advantage. CPU mining is more efficient in terms of hash/J.
btc-mike

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 09:10:38 PM

That's what the CPU miners want you to think. They are lurking with their price charts to determine exactly when AWS instances become profitable. The big guys can fire up hundreds of instances within 30 seconds.
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 12:49:29 AM

Final verdict on first implementation of momentum:

Pretty good at discouraging GPU  if the price is right, but if it ever goes high enough, then the difference between cpu and GPU becomes more apparent. Overall I guess it gets 6.5-7 / 10

I'll be testing memorycoin now and I'll post about my findings later. Throughout the day tomorrow I'll test all the suggested coins and algorithms respectively.

I wonder if there's a way of reducing the effectiveness of botnets. Any ideas guys ?

Btw , thanks for all the replies, the information is very useful
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 12:52:39 AM

Also, why does it seem like all cpu coins start with very low difficulty? Almost zero difficulty, meaning that they were all instamined by those in the know.

Anyone ever mined HeavyCoin?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: