Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 02:41:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU only mining dead?  (Read 8072 times)
hack_ (OP)

Activity: 501
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 12:22:47 AM

Byte cent is cpu only and is resistant to botnets and supercomputers. Primes per second / hash rate is limited to that of a high end i7 cpu and you cannot mine multiple instances to one wallet. Wallet must hold x byte cents to mine without entering a capcha code. Genius.

Not genius, actually opposite

Here are some simple PoW rules

1) inexpensive to verify vs generate
2) difficulty adjustable in both directions

Primes only get bigger.

Dedicated cpu miners use Aws instances which they pay for,  as a result, we have to maintain that PoW remain a fire and forget solution. A lot of people confuse cpu mining with home/desktop mining., there is NO known effective method of PoW that cannot be replicated on a larger computer.

As for the claim of not being able to mine multiple instances to one wallet, LOL , what a load of dung (not u, the developer). The only thing that matters is the block chain, seeing as it does not recognize or record how many instances I am running, I can just modify the source code to allow it without in anyway creating a fork. How one mines is not something that can be controlled.

It is not everyone that owns a high end I7, as a result, byte cent is a community failure as it alienates the majority cpu owners. I'd say most play with dual core and quad cores, the most popular being the moderate I5.

Perhaps I am wrong, but mining should not require any input other than your hardware. The stipulation of minimum balances and captcha codes are barriers to entry and have the effect of driving away potential users.

I think that momentum is a successful attempt because

1) it's target exclusions are the small business computers which  make up the majority of botnets.
2 while GPU mining is available, it's scale vs cpu mining is similar to just having a next generation processor, and if the launch is fair,  even that advantage is lowered by scale.
3) momentum can easily be modified to suit any conditions as evidenced by the existing 3 unique variants

Today I focus on cryptonote based coins, just to get a feel of what is going on in there.
Arsenay

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 12:50:10 AM

Riecoin?

Never heard of this one, gonna look it up.

Looking for CPU mining on 32-core with 128GB I just looked at Riecoin on an exchange: trading halted until new block has been found (>2 weeks now!). Seems that it's cpu-only alright, which is strange for RIE wants to find primes I believe Smiley

DO keep us updated please Smiley

http://cpucoinlist.com/

Devvie
twitter.com/devnullius

it's not true
and problems in one exchange (secret Comkort  Wink)
http://ric.nonce-pool.com/index.php?page=statistics&action=pool
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 08:14:40 AM

Another one is woodcoin.
Currently 100% mined with CPU.  Algo is double skein. 

That's hugely prone to massive GPU mining, Skeincoin has a gpu miner.

funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 10:03:57 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2014, 10:29:38 AM by funkenstein

Another one is woodcoin.
Currently 100% mined with CPU.  Algo is double skein.  

Skeincoin uses a SHA256 hash chained with Skein and Woodcoin doesn't.  The jury is still out on how much an improvement GPUs will give with pure skein.  Skein was designed to be fast on CPU.  So far there is no evidence of GPU or ASIC mining of woodcoin.      

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 12:59:06 PM

Another one is woodcoin.
Currently 100% mined with CPU.  Algo is double skein.  

Skeincoin uses a SHA256 hash chained with Skein and Woodcoin doesn't.  The jury is still out on how much an improvement GPUs will give with pure skein.  Skein was designed to be fast on CPU.  So far there is no evidence of GPU or ASIC mining of woodcoin.      

I'll study it later today.

To anyone interested, l'll be running a trial of momentum merged mining sometime this week.
sniferek

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

http://s17.postimg.org/r6nj81f57/image.png

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:55:59 PM

Hi All,
What of them is the most profitable now?

Best regards,

Arsenay

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 12:57:38 AM

Hi All,
What of them is the most profitable now?

Best regards,

coin with good POS
surprise ?  Cheesy
for example: TEK, HBN ...
sirslayer

Activity: 540
Merit: 501

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 08:55:37 AM

CPU mining dead?? hahaha.. reallY??  CEX.IO merged mining on a 2 x Xeon and Phenom on separates runs are low to fair results on ltc.ghash.io:3333 and having 6 local computers on a stratum proxy at a giving time did show an increase on earnings to now able to buy 1 ghs a week Smiley for over a month and half.. i need more clients on my local network.. and i need room (space) Sad..   just started to earn euros...   .10 so far in a couple days..  cpu mining dead???  its fun so far!!   
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 09:04:49 AM

CPU mining dead?? hahaha.. reallY??  CEX.IO merged mining on a 2 x Xeon and Phenom on separates runs are low to fair results on ltc.ghash.io:3333 and having 6 local computers on a stratum proxy at a giving time did show an increase on earnings to now able to buy 1 ghs a week Smiley for over a month and half.. i need more clients on my local network.. and i need room (space) Sad..   just started to earn euros...   .10 so far in a couple days..  cpu mining dead???  its fun so far!!  

not quite getting what you are trying to say. Are you saying you have a viable CPU mining option?
sirslayer

Activity: 540
Merit: 501

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 09:23:30 AM

viable CPU mining ... good question. under merged mining with ghs as the earning then yes..   for how long??... i can say this..  my cpus have a primary purpose (business) and mining is at only during idle.. hopefully all at the same time.. and can be rewarding.. 
goosoodude

Activity: 584
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 09:36:25 AM

CPU only mining means the network is at the mercy of botnets. The investors buying that coins awould be supposrting the botnet owners.

CPU mining is a handicap for any coin, thats why they are mostly abandoned now.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

goosoodude

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 09:55:45 AM

The only CPU mineable coin not dominated by botnets is Bytecent http://www.bytecent.com/

What makes it 'not dominated by botnets'? Is it so worthless that even the dont bother?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

goosoodude

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 10:13:09 AM

The only CPU mineable coin not dominated by botnets is Bytecent http://www.bytecent.com/

What makes it 'not dominated by botnets'? Is it so worthless that even the dont bother?

You can go and read the ANN here http://coinblab.com/forums/topic/24/bytecent-byc-removing-barriers-with-innovation

It's the only coin with ICO that never went below ICO price, so I would not call it worthless.

Why cant you answer what makes it botnet resistant?

goosoodude

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 10:40:53 AM

You can go and read the ANN here http://coinblab.com/forums/topic/24/bytecent-byc-removing-barriers-with-innovation

It's the only coin with ICO that never went below ICO price, so I would not call it worthless.

Why cant you answer what makes it botnet resistant?

I know that boys in your age are confused and have a lot of questions in their head, but don't get frustrated. If you are interested in Bytecent, you can find answers by clicking on the links. Cheers!

Any CPU coin will eventually be botnet dominated. I am not interested nor heard of the coin you mention. Cheers for the effort though, just wanted a line from you to know what they were claiming.

hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:04:40 AM

Bytecent i already spoke out against it's so called restrictions SEE ABOVE.

To keep things on track , let me recap

1) Anything that your desktop can do , any other cpu can do
2) Using memory limitations has to be within realistic limits ~ 1-2 GB per thread (meaning a quad core will push 8 GB) 16 GB with hyper-threading
3)using gimmicks like captcha or codes to mine is undesirable since mining is a "fire and forget" system
4) Limitations that do not affect block generation/blockchain are USELESS as they can be coded/commented out.
5) use of other restrictions ie minimum balance eg etc creates barriers to entry, forces people to buy ICO and is downright dishonest.

bitcodo

Activity: 509

Can't upload avatar

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:23:39 AM

I actually prefer cpu/gpu coins. More users can mine it, and less prone to botnets. Many coins like this around - CryptoNote, Scrypt-Chacha,...
I like YAC  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206577.0 and it can actually become CPU coin soon (as N grows gpus become less efficient).
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 12:41:47 PM

I actually prefer cpu/gpu coins. More users can mine it, and less prone to botnets. Many coins like this around - CryptoNote, Scrypt-Chacha,...
I like YAC  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206577.0 and it can actually become CPU coin soon (as N grows gpus become less efficient).

i loved YAC, was among the first to mine it. The dev did a quick runner though. I have a alternate algorithm i am pursuing, have you tried the original OneCoin? its a variation of scrypt-jane
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 12:44:50 PM

Bytecent i already spoke out against it's so called restrictions SEE ABOVE.

To keep things on track , let me recap

1) Anything that your desktop can do , any other cpu can do
2) Using memory limitations has to be within realistic limits ~ 1-2 GB per thread (meaning a quad core will push 8 GB) 16 GB with hyper-threading
3)using gimmicks like captcha or codes to mine is undesirable since mining is a "fire and forget" system
4) Limitations that do not affect block generation/blockchain are USELESS as they can be coded/commented out.
5) use of other restrictions ie minimum balance eg etc creates barriers to entry, forces people to buy ICO and is downright dishonest.

There's a reason why these coins doesn't exist: people like you trying to make money with botnets or workplaces/schools computers.

It's been game over for guys like you for a long time, just accept it.

Actually, all the CPU coins that can even mildly be called a success all meet most or all the above criteria. Intelligent discussion please, not trolling or promoting. We have no interest in your coins of choice, we are more interested in technical specs and GPU/CPU ratios
sniferek

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

http://s17.postimg.org/r6nj81f57/image.png

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 02:37:06 PM

Heard that Bytecent is just a SCAM,
Any profitable alternative? Lookin for this from a long of time...

waterboy

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:38:16 PM

CPU mining was nice before everything got all crazy, it would be nice to have a coin stick to CPU mining and be well distributed
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: