Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 03:59:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An optimistic sgminer solo setup  (Read 1836 times)
califminer (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 09:02:15 AM

I am running a recent git pull of sgminer on Radeon cards on a Linux setup.

SETUP:
1] litecoind -server
Previously I had generated 2 LTC addresses using litecoin-qt
So the .litecoin/ directory has the wallet I suppose

2] ./sgminer --url http://127.0.0.1:<port_number> -u <my_user_name> -p <my_password>
It detects the GPUs and gives a decent 3-digits Kh/s speed. I set the GPU MAX SPEED var but sgminer still says it hasn't been set.

===========================================
QUESTIONS:
1] Is this enough (practical) for solo mining Litecoins these days?  Huh
2] Once a block is found will they automatically know to send it to my wallet inside .litecoin or is there another step/command involved?
===========================================

Thanks.
emdje

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2014, 09:20:23 AM

Answer to question 1: No definitely not. Chances for you to find a block are extremely slim with a 3 digit kh/s number, you would need at least 3 orders of magnitude larger.
Answer to question 2: Yes

Mining with GPU is very energy consuming and probably not profitable. If you do want to mine with it mine an algorithm that can't be mined with an ASIC yet. X11, X13, NITS etc.

Good luck
califminer (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 09:03:23 AM

Thanks emdje for the clarification.

I have a few more questions:

1] I am getting around 750 Kh/s and I have 2 cards and will be installing a third one with same specs. Would that help or still no?

2] Is the setup of commands for litecoin/any-altcoin mining correct or do I need to do something additional?

3] Can I use the same worker username password on more than one system?

4] I can try mining other currencies but is there any real world trading or exchange in return for BTC or real money available for them? .. especially for the ones you mentioned.

Thanks.
avw1982

Activity: 644

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 09:22:40 AM

Solo mining is only profitable with new launches of coins.
emdje

Activity: 686

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 12:09:56 PM

1: Still no, as avw1982 said maybe at coin launches (you are better of mining a different algorithm, look at poolpicker.eu)
2: Looks ok
3: not sure if you can do that with solo mining
4: what I mentioned where algorithms not coins. If you mine at a multipool, they usually automatically exchange and pay in BTC
califminer (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 08:46:41 AM

If I need more than one system to mine. I need more than one rpcuser= and rpcminer= , right? I think not. Kindly guide.

emdje: I understand you mentioned algo~s and not coins. I checked poolpicker.eu and some other websites. It seems that a lot of new ones get defunct due to lack of users.

Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: