Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:58:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Criticisms?  (Read 11850 times)
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:55:50 AM

Quote from: myrkul
True, but even the NAP can be interpreted differently between libertarians, and I would assume Ancaps too. Apologies if this sparks a huge tangent, but carbon pollution might be a good example - depending on your scientific ability, carbon emissions are anywhere between unimportant and an existential risk. Assuming the Ancap society is just as divided as this forum is, how would/should interpretation conflicts be resolved?

Arbitration. Interpretation conflicts, damages, anything except an active assault can be resolved in Arbitration or mediation.
So what if a self-sufficient group decides that <externality here> is harmless? They wouldn't have to care about hurting reputations outside the group by refusing to arbitrate. If another group has a huge problem with this, how is violence averted? Assume both groups believe in the NAP but disagree about the facts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 01:25:03 AM

So what if a self-sufficient group decides that <externality here> is harmless? They wouldn't have to care about hurting reputations outside the group by refusing to arbitrate. If another group has a huge problem with this, how is violence averted? Assume both groups believe in the NAP but disagree about the facts.

Well, if you can find a truly self-sufficient group, let me know. I don't know of anyone who can provide everything for themselves. But, let's assume they're completely self-sufficient. Both groups agree that to aggress on another is wrong. But one group is being aggressed on by the other. That <externality>, if it is actually harmful, and can be proven to be harmful, can be shown as such to the offending group. If they still refuse arbitration, then violence may not be avoidable, since that constitutes an active assault, albeit one group on another, through pollution.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:25:58 AM

Democratic government is most certainly not based on who has most guns.

Bullshit. 50%, plus one, of the people tell me it's illegal to drink caffeine, and suddenly I can't drink caffeine. If I try to do so anyway, they arrest me, and if I resist hard enough, they shoot me. How is that not about who has the most guns?

Inheritance is not an edge case and your approach that people who are refused arbitration have no recourse is shocking.  How can you even begin to advocate such an unjust system?  I'd be ashamed.

I never said they had no recourse, that you don't like their recourse is your problem.

Democracy is not about a simple majority getting all it wants.  There are always things like property rights.  Your system has no such rights since the person who has most fire-power has an absolute law making power.

You say that its my problem if I don't think the siblings recourse is fair.   You are proposing to replace the existing fair with your system.  If your system is not fair, it will never get off the ground. 

One problem you have is that when the facts or consequences of an argument don't suit you, you try to ignore them.  As a suggestion, that's the point at which you take a step back and re-consider how you are going about things.  There is more than one way to skin a cat; your idea that people should rely on public opinion to get their property rights is not a good one.  Come back with a better enforcement method and the rest of your argument will at least have a foundation.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 07:11:10 AM

Democracy is not about a simple majority getting all it wants.  There are always things like property rights.  Your system has no such rights since the person who has most fire-power has an absolute law making power.

You know what? You're right. Recognizing each person's self-ownership and rejecting government violence will only lead to chaos. It's much better to give all the guns to one monopoly organization and let all the decisions be made by popular vote. If a lot of people agree about something, it's probably right anyway.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:58:54 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 01:55:10 PM by Hawker

Democracy is not about a simple majority getting all it wants.  There are always things like property rights.  Your system has no such rights since the person who has most fire-power has an absolute law making power.

You know what? You're right. Recognizing each person's self-ownership and rejecting government violence will only lead to chaos. It's much better to give all the guns to one monopoly organization and let all the decisions be made by popular vote. If a lot of people agree about something, it's probably right anyway.

Leaving the control of violence in one "defence agency" is what you are advocating with your "normalisation" of law in "market courts".

What you might do is look up the concept of separation of powers; having executive, judicial and legislative powers all in 1 "defence agency" is guaranteed to be a disaster.  
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 03:56:06 PM

What you might do is look up the concept of separation of powers; having executive, judicial and legislative powers all in 1 "defence agency" is guaranteed to be a disaster. 

Uh... yeah, duh.

That's why a defense agency is a defense agency, and a arbitration firm is an arbitration firm. I'm still not sure where you picked up the idea that they were the same thing.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 04:05:18 PM

Uh... yeah, duh.

That's why a defense agency is a defense agency, and a arbitration firm is an arbitration firm. I'm still not sure where you picked up the idea that they were the same thing.

Because the most efficient way to do it will be for same people to own the defence agency and to own the courts.  That way, they can charge for a guaranteed service.  Vertical integration is the technical term. 
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 04:07:29 PM

Uh... yeah, duh.

Because the most efficient way to do it will be for same people to own the defence agency and to own the courts.  That way, they can charge for a guaranteed service.  Vertical integration is the technical term. 

Conflict of interest is the term you're looking for.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 04:10:51 PM

Uh... yeah, duh.

But its a market in violence. So conflict of interest will be normal since anyone who objects receives the violence.  They are the biggest and the best - what you gonna do?  Tell your friends that they are not nice people?
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 04:15:35 PM

But its a market in violence. So conflict of interest will be normal since anyone who objects receives the violence.  They are the biggest and the best - what you gonna do?  Tell your friends that they are not nice people?

If a verbal objection receives violence, that's a NAP violation, and a fairly clear attempt at establishing a state. Even the biggest and the best can be taken down by enough of the little guys.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 04:22:22 PM

If a verbal objection receives violence, that's a NAP violation, and a fairly clear attempt at establishing a state. Even the biggest and the best can be taken down by enough of the little guys.

So, we have a system where the "little guys" are safe with private property rights.  You are proposing replacing it with a system where the equivalent of the US army is the "defence agency" and the "little guys" have to fight it.  A lot of heroic deaths will ensue.

Bu what would the point be?  The market you describe means that even if they win, a new super agency will emerge.  There can never be a market in courts or defence agencies that can't enforce their owners and clients commands can there?  So you will always end up with 1.  The "little guys" will have died in vain.

What you need is a marker mechanism that does not create such a super "defence agency."
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 04:26:19 PM

What you need is a marker mechanism that does not create such a super "defence agency."

Do me a favor... explain, in detail, each step where we get from 100 defense agencies down to one superagency?

I'd like to see your logic.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 05:21:02 PM

Do me a favor... explain, in detail, each step where we get from 100 defense agencies down to one superagency?

I'd like to see your logic.

We've already done this.  Each dispute that requires 1 side to win or lose will result in 1 defence agency going out of business.  There can never be a market for a "defence agency" that allows someone else to win.

No matter how many you start with, you end up with 1.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 05:32:39 PM

We've already done this.  Each dispute that requires 1 side to win or lose will result in 1 defence agency going out of business.  There can never be a market for a "defence agency" that allows someone else to win.

That's why defense agencies don't fight defense agencies. Defense agencies are just that: defense. Against criminals or invading armies, not each other. If you have a dispute, you don't call your defense agency, you call your arbitration firm.

FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 05:53:18 PM

Uh... yeah, duh.

So you're an advocate of regulation then?
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 05:55:06 PM

If you have a dispute, you don't call your defense agency, you call your arbitration firm.

But they can be one and the same. Why can't someone create a company that does both? And why wouldn't I call that firm for their services?
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:22:19 PM

That's why defense agencies don't fight defense agencies. Defense agencies are just that: defense. Against criminals or invading armies, not each other. If you have a dispute, you don't call your defense agency, you call your arbitration firm.

We have already established that there can only be 1 arbitration firm; the one that has enforcement powers.  If you are saying that the enforcement agency is not a defence agency, that seems very inefficient.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:27:11 PM

We have already established that there can only be 1 arbitration firm; the one that has enforcement powers.  If you are saying that the enforcement agency is not a defence agency, that seems very inefficient.

Again with the we. Who the hell is we?

Arbitration is not enforced by violence. Thus, market competition can allow more than one.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:33:17 PM

Arbitration is not enforced by violence. Thus, market competition can allow more than one.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88296.msg978281#msg978281

We have been through this.  You can start with as many as you want but you can only end up with 1.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:37:05 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88296.msg978281#msg978281

We have been through this.  You can start with as many as you want but you can only end up with 1.

You quoted me disagreeing with you and then said we agreed. Come on, you can't think anyone is that stupid.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: