Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:12:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Criticisms?  (Read 11842 times)
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 08:19:59 PM

He hasn't broken any law.  He has the money to pay the defence agency. 

Doesn't matter. The defense agencies know that 1. he might refuse arbitration with them, too. and 2. defending him threatens the very fabric of the society. Since they can reason out just as well, if not better, how letting him get away with it will affect society, as you can, they see that allowing him to refuse arbitration like that makes the whole system worthless. So, he refuses arbitration, they refuse protection. Outlaw. Literally, outside the law.

Sorry - if you think the likes of Blackwater or Sandline care about that, you are mistaken.  They don't - they really do work for bastards.  In Iraq, they really did kill innocent people on behalf of bastards.  An inheritance dispute won't trouble them for a nanosecond.

Why don't we take a step back here?  I admire the way you put your head above the parapet and made this thread.  You have to accept a system that leaves 55% of families depending on the morals of contract gunmen is not good enough.  There is no point in spitting out an instant answer which is morally weak.

Why not take the time to think of an actual fix ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Explodicle

Activity: 950

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 08:32:29 PM

I think what myrkul is proposing is an Ancap society actually populated with Ancaps. Democracy hinges upon the morality of our gunmen as well.

The funny part is that if we didn't already agree on the next actual fix, we wouldn't be here.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

I think what myrkul is proposing is an Ancap society actually populated with Ancaps.

No such thing.

1. People change.
2. People don't always adhere to their principles when the tables turn against them.
3. Outside forces and internal forces create scenarios which require a change of principles.
4. People have children who don't agree.
5. Immigrants come in and see a weak system that can be taken advantage of.
myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 08:45:47 PM

Sorry - if you think the likes of Blackwater or Sandline care about that, you are mistaken.  They don't - they really do work for bastards.  In Iraq, they really did kill innocent people on behalf of bastards.  An inheritance dispute won't trouble them for a nanosecond.

Why don't we take a step back here?  I admire the way you put your head above the parapet and made this thread.  You have to accept a system that leaves 55% of families depending on the morals of contract gunmen is not good enough.  There is no point in spitting out an instant answer which is morally weak.

Blackwater and the like are run by military men... by definition psychopaths - created, if not born. I don't expect them to care about humans.

You're being dishonest with yourself if you truly believe that 55% of people (all those who die intestate) would wholly be at the mercy of "the morals of contract gunmen"... you forget that arbitration is for disputes, not defense agencies. You presented a rare case, where one son of three (how many of those 55% had three children?) refused arbitration (how many of those that did have 3 children had enough shit to fight over?) because he believed in primogeniture (how common is this belief?). In that rare case, then his case might be said to be at the mercy of the protection company's morals.

But even then... Out of pure greed, the protection company should refuse his contract. How much is one contract worth, if they lose all their others? Worse, he knows that he can refuse payment, and then just refuse arbitration again. They know that too. It's in their rational best interest not to deal with him.

I think what myrkul is proposing is an Ancap society actually populated with Ancaps. Democracy hinges upon the morality of our gunmen as well.

Yes, I rather thought that was assumed. I guess that proves the old witticism...

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:25:55 PM

Sorry - if you think the likes of Blackwater or Sandline care about that, you are mistaken.  They don't - they really do work for bastards.  In Iraq, they really did kill innocent people on behalf of bastards.  An inheritance dispute won't trouble them for a nanosecond.

Why don't we take a step back here?  I admire the way you put your head above the parapet and made this thread.  You have to accept a system that leaves 55% of families depending on the morals of contract gunmen is not good enough.  There is no point in spitting out an instant answer which is morally weak.

Blackwater and the like are run by military men... by definition psychopaths - created, if not born. I don't expect them to care about humans.

You're being dishonest with yourself if you truly believe that 55% of people (all those who die intestate) would wholly be at the mercy of "the morals of contract gunmen"... you forget that arbitration is for disputes, not defense agencies. You presented a rare case, where one son of three (how many of those 55% had three children?) refused arbitration (how many of those that did have 3 children had enough shit to fight over?) because he believed in primogeniture (how common is this belief?). In that rare case, then his case might be said to be at the mercy of the protection company's morals.

...snip...

The point is that in your system, humans would be wholly in the hands of the Blackwaters and the Aegis Security firms.  They have the ordinance, the men and the experience to be "defence agencies" and absent a state, what will stop them?

I suspect you are young and have never been through a probate dispute.  Trust me, every family has members who go a little mad when a relative dies and they fight tooth and nail over assets. 

Your idea works if you set up a community where everyone agrees to it.  But in cities like London and New York? Not a chance...
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 09:42:39 PM

They have the ordinance, the men and the experience to be "defence agencies" and absent a state, what will stop them?

Well, that is a problem, isn't it? They're part of the current monopoly of power. But that's not really a problem with the system as such, but rather with getting from here to there.

We're not discussing how to get there from here, really, (though if you'd like to, we can) but the way that makes the most sense to me is Agorism.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
punningclan

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 10:11:02 PM

I think what myrkul is proposing is an Ancap society actually populated with Ancaps.

No such thing.

1. People change.
2. People don't always adhere to their principles when the tables turn against them.
3. Outside forces and internal forces create scenarios which require a change of principles.

From point 5:
Like the original forefathers to this great nation, immigrants who discovered a weak point and then killed everyone here with germ warfare, then turned the story in to one of cute cowboy and indian movies depicting the Indians as the aggressors you mean?

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:59:32 AM

No such thing.

1. People change.

From point 5:
Like the original forefathers to this great nation, immigrants who discovered a weak point and then killed everyone here with germ warfare, then turned the story in to one of cute cowboy and indian movies depicting the Indians as the aggressors you mean?

An excellent example. Thank you for demonstrating the validity of point #5.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 08:07:16 AM

They have the ordinance, the men and the experience to be "defence agencies" and absent a state, what will stop them?

Well, that is a problem, isn't it? They're part of the current monopoly of power. But that's not really a problem with the system as such, but rather with getting from here to there.

We're not discussing how to get there from here, really, (though if you'd like to, we can) but the way that makes the most sense to me is Agorism.

Um no.  They are not allowed operate in our countries the way they do in Iraq and Afghanistan.  In your system, they will be free to do as they please. 
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 08:28:52 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 08:40:52 AM by myrkul

Um no.  They are not allowed operate in our countries the way they do in Iraq and Afghanistan.  In your system, they will be free to do as they please. 

Sigh. The problem with discussing this sort of thing with people like you is that people see, and expect, in others what they see in themselves.

Also, your response has nothing to do with my statement.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 02:26:51 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 06:41:11 PM by Hawker

Um no.  They are not allowed operate in our countries the way they do in Iraq and Afghanistan.  In your system, they will be free to do as they please.  

Sigh. The problem with discussing this sort of thing with people like you is that people see, and expect, in others what they see in themselves.

...snip...

Could that be because you are a dreamer and you have no idea how the real world works?
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 07:34:45 PM

Could that be because you are a dreamer and you have no idea how the real world works?

No, I know exactly how the world works. The idea is to change that.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 10:04:14 PM

Any change has to be in the context of human nature and old fashioned economics.  The system you describe creates market incentives to totalitarian dominance by 1 defence agency.  You assume that Blackwater and Aegis and the like will become nicer organisations staffed by more sweet natured mercenaries in your NAP world.  There is no reason for the rest of us to share you assumption. 
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 10:20:33 PM

Any change has to be in the context of human nature and old fashioned economics.  The system you describe creates market incentives to totalitarian dominance by 1 defence agency.  You assume that Blackwater and Aegis and the like will become nicer organisations staffed by more sweet natured mercenaries in your NAP world.  There is no reason for the rest of us to share you assumption. 

I make no such assumptions, and any further claims that there will be a market incentive to monopoly will be ignored as per the original post.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 09:16:20 AM

I make no such assumptions, and any further claims that there will be a market incentive to monopoly will be ignored as per the original post.

You behaved exactly the same way when I showed that the US economy did best after WW2 when there was a 90% income tax, a huge national deficit and unionised workforce.  When facts or logic prove you wrong, you want to ignore it.

You asked for criticisms, you got 2 that undermine the model you advocate, namely that it can't handle market incentives to monopoly and that it can't handle the fact that 55% of people die intestate.   

Whether or not you decide to think of a way to improve your model is entirely up to you. 

Peace out.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 09:48:20 AM

Peace out.

I do hope this means that you will be quiet now and let people with real, legitimate concerns ask. "market incentive to monopoly" is just ridiculous on its face.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 04:11:56 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 04:29:12 PM by Hawker

Peace out.

I do hope this means that you will be quiet now and let people with real, legitimate concerns ask. "market incentive to monopoly" is just ridiculous on its face.

No - it means that if you keep advocating it I am still here.  You still have not provided a sensible way that allows competition between defence agencies that does not end in monopoly. If you come up with something better, of course I am interested.

But at least you accept that the children of people who die intestate are screwed by your system.  That's 55% of families in the US so that alone means your system will never be adopted.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 04:39:52 PM

Peace out.

No - it means that if you keep advocating it I am still here.  You still have not provided a sensible way that allows competition between defence agencies that does not end in monopoly. If you come up with something better, of course I am interested.

But at least you accept that the children of people who die intestate are screwed by your system.  That's 55% of families in the US so that alone means your system will never be adopted.

No, I already discussed how edge your case was, and, how it handles even that case. No arbitration, no protection. Troll harder.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 05:59:12 PM

Peace out.

No, I already discussed how edge your case was, and, how it handles even that case. No arbitration, no protection. Troll harder.

55% of families is not an edge case.

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 06:10:09 PM

55% of families is not an edge case.

But you weren't discussing 55% of people. You were discussing a very specific situation, where the father died intestate, and the first son advocated primogeniture and refused arbitration. that many ands adds up to an edge case.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: