Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 12:03:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you like to have a detailed freq & voltage OC guide, and what voltage steps? (Freq range is 200 - 262.5)
Yes - 0.10v increments - 9 (69.2%)
Yes - 0.25v increments - 3 (23.1%)
Yes - 0.50v increments - 1 (7.7%)
No - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 13

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: S3+ (BM1382) Overclocking with voltage setting  (Read 28752 times)
baltasar

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:19:48 AM

So if I follow your chart right I can do ~450 GH/s at 240 watts with this? What firmware version do I need to be running?

Take a second look. I took 380 Watt for 450 GH/s. I am using latest software from bitmain ( from 19.12.2014 ) It seems to be more stable about constant hashrate.

Did you change the voltage? Seems like most people are getting it to work, so I'm assuming you're doing something wrong.
Let me do a wild guess: You never read a message before posting a reply ?!

jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:48:18 AM

I am confused about the poll... if the voltage doesn't really change the volts to the chips, what good would a chart be?

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
AJinNYC

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Bored with you morons.

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 06:11:58 AM

So if I follow your chart right I can do ~450 GH/s at 240 watts with this? What firmware version do I need to be running?

Take a second look. I took 380 Watt for 450 GH/s. I am using latest software from bitmain ( from 19.12.2014 ) It seems to be more stable about constant hashrate.

Did you change the voltage? Seems like most people are getting it to work, so I'm assuming you're doing something wrong.
Let me do a wild guess: You never read a message before posting a reply ?!

Let me guess, your a fucking asshole, douche bag? I seriously hate the people on this forum. There's some dumb fucks floating around; for sure.

Done with this forum. Goodbye all.
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:12:10 AM

I am confused about the poll... if the voltage doesn't really change the volts to the chips, what good would a chart be?

bitmain said that "most" of the s3/s3+ has the dc/dc needed to change volts.. but they also said that "a lot" dont.

they also said that you couldnt tell.. and it sounds like they were making them both at the same time in different factories. one had the correct chip one didnt.

my batch 5 s3s do not seem to change volts.

baltasar

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:30:29 PM

bitmain said that "most" of the s3/s3+ has the dc/dc needed to change volts.. but they also said that "a lot" dont.

they also said that you couldnt tell.. and it sounds like they were making them both at the same time in different factories. one had the correct chip one didnt.

my batch 5 s3s do not seem to change volts.

Thanks for the information! Didn't know that. My S3+s must be from from the "wrong" batch  Sad
vanman03

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:08:58 PM

Is anyone running the newest firmware from Bitman ? I keep playing around with Voltage and Frequency settings but my hash rate spikes to over 500  for a couple of hours but then drops below 400 ?? why ?? my temps are 38 to 40 ?? I also cant edit my /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua (Permission denied ) file for frequencies higher than 250 ? Any Ideas ?
pekatete (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 06:21:16 PM

Is anyone running the newest firmware from Bitman ? I keep playing around with Voltage and Frequency settings but my hash rate spikes to over 500  for a couple of hours but then drops below 400 ?? why ?? my temps are 38 to 40 ?? I also cant edit my /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua (Permission denied ) file for frequencies higher than 250 ? Any Ideas ?
The latest firmware (since Oct 2014) is crap on many levels, but that is a sidenote. For a start, I'd desist from changing voltages on that as the default setting of 0000 seems to find its sweet spot, and to add to that (and as you realised) it seems when you set a voltage with the newer firmware, you consistently loose hashrate and have to restart cgminer to recover it. In my opinion, not worth it! If you have the Oct firmware, reflash your rig (a user also posted one here)

Never come accross the permission denied error on an S3 ... are you logging in via SSH as root?

Breeze

Activity: 86

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:06:12 PM

Is anyone running the newest firmware from Bitman ? I keep playing around with Voltage and Frequency settings but my hash rate spikes to over 500  for a couple of hours but then drops below 400 ?? why ?? my temps are 38 to 40 ?? I also cant edit my /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua (Permission denied ) file for frequencies higher than 250 ? Any Ideas ?

I had the same permission denied. Did you write vi? As in: vi /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua
Breeze

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:09:00 PM

The latest firmware (since Oct 2014) is crap on many levels, but that is a sidenote. For a start, I'd desist from changing voltages on that as the default setting of 0000 seems to find its sweet spot, and to add to that (and as you realised) it seems when you set a voltage with the newer firmware, you consistently loose hashrate and have to restart cgminer to recover it. In my opinion, not worth it! If you have the Oct firmware, reflash your rig (a user also posted one here)

Never come accross the permission denied error on an S3 ... are you logging in via SSH as root?

Oh man, and i just updated the f/w from the october one to the newest =/
Should i go back? Thought i'd run some OC tests with it.
vanman03

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:11:36 PM

Thanks pekatete!! I am getting better results now with the older firmware !! however I still get the a  permission denied error ssh as root ?? idk....  Undecided 

Its show as this in the prompt below

alias: -1 not found
root@antMiner:~#
-ash: /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua: Permission denied
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 07:15:25 PM

Thanks pekatete!! I am getting better results now with the older firmware !! however I still get the a  permission denied error ssh as root ?? idk....  Undecided 

Its show as this in the prompt below

alias: -1 not found
-ash: /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua: Permission denied

you should be invoking vi editor by typing:

Code:
vi /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua

pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 07:19:39 PM

Oh man, and i just updated the f/w from the october one to the newest =/
Should i go back? Thought i'd run some OC tests with it.

The saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
So it depends where you are at;
1. Does the new firmware work for you? Then what are you trying to fix?
2. I doubt the new firmware is working better for you, but you should know better since you have your rig, in which case I'd be tempted to revert to the older one .... a simple reset should do it, or you can reflash if that does not work.

daddyfatsax

Activity: 857

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:24:26 PM

I am back to using the 10/24/2014 firmware. That has been the best performing one for me, as far as hash rate and HW errors. All of mine are pointed at ck's solo pool.

pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 07:29:11 PM

I am back to using the 10/24/2014 firmware. That has been the best performing one for me, as far as hash rate and HW errors. All of mine are pointed at ck's solo pool.

<snip> img </snip>

10/24 firmware seems better for most S3's ... but some people are still flashing the latter firmwares (though I'd advise against that).
Interesting that you are all in with solo mining .... for how long have you been at it any luck? I am contemplating on pointing a couple of mine there .... but the thought of going forever without any rewards scares me, for now.

vanman03

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:39:45 PM

Thanks again pekatete !!! How hard are you pushing your S3? I have a server room that I can use with A/C! With two power supplies for each miner AX860 ATX Power Supply — 860 Watt.

daddyfatsax

Activity: 857

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:41:38 PM

<snip> img </snip>

10/24 firmware seems better for most S3's ... but some people are still flashing the latter firmwares (though I'd advise against that).
Interesting that you are all in with solo mining .... for how long have you been at it any luck? I am contemplating on pointing a couple of mine there .... but the thought of going forever without any rewards scares me, for now.

I got lucky and hit a block on 1/5/15. So it is going pretty well!!  Grin
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 07:47:57 PM

Thanks again pekatete !!! How hard are you pushing your S3? I have a server room that I can use with A/C! With two power supplies for each miner AX860 ATX Power Supply — 860 Watt.
Best I'm doing (not in a server room, but in my garden ... in winter) is freq 282.25 voltage 0825 getting approx 560GH/s and a low HW% running off a single 550W server PSU on a 220v-240v input. Not all my rigs will run that freq, but most will run @ 262.5 (and they all run off 550W server PSU's).

Breeze

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 08:59:06 PM

Best I'm doing (not in a server room, but in my garden ... in winter) is freq 282.25 voltage 0825 getting approx 560GH/s and a low HW% running off a single 550W server PSU on a 220v-240v input. Not all my rigs will run that freq, but most will run @ 262.5 (and they all run off 550W server PSU's).

Do you use all 4 PCI-e connections?
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 09:23:01 PM

Do you use all 4 PCI-e connections?
Nope, just 2 on each rig.

Darthswan

Activity: 818
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 11:06:06 PM

Well after a day of messing around with the miners.  I didn't want to be in the real world, so I decided to do some tinkering. 

I have:

2 S3 and 2 S3+

S3.1

Went back and forth, could not find the sweet spot to save my life.  I tried 262 and 275, couldn’t get above 500G.  I have a copy of the 12/16 firmware so i went back to it.  At 250, I consisiently just under 500G(490ish).  I’m just going to leave it there for now

S3.2

Same as the 3.1, but holding a consistent 505G at 250.  Can’t seem to get anything better, at higher settings.

S3.3+

Now this puppy here is a Beast.  At 275 it is knocking 553G and climbing.  The 5s is constantly at 570ish.  A true BEAST.

S3.4

I couldn’t get it to be happy at 275, so I was able to get it happy at 262.  I’m average high 520s on this one. 

When I get some more time I might do some tinkering with the others. 

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █