Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:09:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: the best evidence that bitcoin will succeed, courtesy of fewcoins  (Read 6041 times)
smalltimer

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 08:15:38 AM

[...] store of value is just one very important property of currency and bitcoin is great at it.

Hey hey... what are you talking about? A store of value is good when you can store value in and retrieve it out when you need it. Bitcoin is a great store of value only if price constantly rise amiright? But, today, will you store your wealth in bitcoin? Hell no, because it can drop 5% or more in a day like nothing. And who want to lose 5% or more in a day? Nobody. When/if bitcoin price gain stability (or start ever-increasing again) then it will become a great store of value again. But not now. BTW i do understand bitcoin usefulness and actually use it, only not as a store of value (obviously).

idiots still talking about store of value when we are down over 70% is exactly why I lost faith in bitcoin!

'store of value' ... not bitcoin ...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 08:16:59 AM

... after holding my value in bitcoin for two years ive made 10,000 percent on my investment and there is nothing that can offer me reward like that in traditional banking cults.

Try the lottery.
If you win, you can brag about making a million percent on your investment, and tell us how clever you were to buy lottery tickets Smiley

Which lottery would that be, where everyone who bought tickets won? Can't recall any.

i am satoshi
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 02:13:23 PM

We need more people getting their cash and visa stolen so people understand why BTC is so awesome.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 04:22:59 PM

We need more people getting their cash and visa stolen so people understand why BTC is so awesome.

So start stealin' buddy, it's the Bitcoin way! Smiley
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 04:26:06 PM

Thanks fewcoins! It's businesses like yours that are winning the world over to bitcoin!  Kiss

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
riiiiising

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 05:39:56 PM

Thanks fewcoins! It's businesses like yours that are winning the world over to bitcoin!  Kiss

Winning the world over to bitcoin? Interest and value has been falling all year...  Huh

▆▆▆ ▅▅▅ ▃▃▃ ▂▂▂ W H A L E  M A K E R  ▂▂▂ ▃▃▃ ▅▅▅ ▆▆▆
⚫ ⚫ ⚫  A  F U N D R A I S I N G  P L A T F O R M  F O R  M A S S I V E  D I S R U P T I O N  ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
▬▬▬▬▬   ANN Thread      Oceanpaper      Twitter      Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 06:41:36 PM

Winning the world over to bitcoin? Interest and value has been falling all year...  Huh
More people know about bitcoin than ever. Twice this week co-workers approached me saying they had finally heard about bitcoin from someone else. I'm ok with the growth I have seen in the past few years.

fewcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2014, 07:45:51 PM

... after holding my value in bitcoin for two years ive made 10,000 percent on my investment and there is nothing that can offer me reward like that in traditional banking cults.

Try the lottery.
If you win, you can brag about making a million percent on your investment, and tell us how clever you were to buy lottery tickets Smiley

Which lottery would that be, where everyone who bought tickets won? Can't recall any.

Exactly why most of you should really rethink why you hold bitcoin... what exactly are you hoping and waiting for???

More people know about bitcoin than ever. Twice this week co-workers approached me saying they had finally heard about bitcoin from someone else. I'm ok with the growth I have seen in the past few years.

This is very true. Even I can't deny this fact since I am not an ultimate troll like some of you claim but rather a realist.
Many of my employees are now mentioning bitcoin almost everyday instead of talking about USD, EURO, etc. This is true that more and more people are finding out about bitcoin. I asked if they would want a small percentage in bitcoin rather than USD but I only get laughing responses. Most of the world is not ready to use this as a currency yet. Hopefully they see how good it can be if we all jumped in and supported the network but unfortunately humans are not very proactive anymore & they tend to like direct deposit and banks stealing their money. Actually it's not they like it but they aren't proactive especially for ANY change. Especially if governments and banks say no no no bitcoin that isn't good you shouldn't use that.

This is why I see Bitcoin as very hard to invest in. It is more for trading or "speculating" which means it actually has no real value yet. Zero. This is also why the blockchain and other technology will be "used" (stolen) to be applied to other payment systems and make them more secure. I think Australia is already doing something like that for their banks right now
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 08:16:20 PM

This is very true. Even I can't deny this fact since I am not an ultimate troll like some of you claim but rather a realist.
Many of my employees are now mentioning bitcoin almost everyday instead of talking about USD, EURO, etc. This is true that more and more people are finding out about bitcoin. I asked if they would want a small percentage in bitcoin rather than USD but I only get laughing responses. Most of the world is not ready to use this as a currency yet. Hopefully they see how good it can be if we all jumped in and supported the network but unfortunately humans are not very proactive anymore & they tend to like direct deposit and banks stealing their money. Actually it's not they like it but they aren't proactive especially for ANY change. Especially if governments and banks say no no no bitcoin that isn't good you shouldn't use that.

This is why I see Bitcoin as very hard to invest in. It is more for trading or "speculating" which means it actually has no real value yet. Zero. This is also why the blockchain and other technology will be "used" (stolen) to be applied to other payment systems and make them more secure. I think Australia is already doing something like that for their banks right now
We are not so far apart. I agree with most of what you say once its broken down. I don't think most people or businesses are ready for bitcoin yet. However it is to their detriment. I have helped businesses set up their BTC systems and they are all glad they did it.
I am a little confused about speculation vs. investing. Those are the same thing to me, and I think it is a very risky thing to do with BTC. It is much better as the payment network it was designed to be.
In the long term, barring some black swan, I am very confident that bitcoin will grow exponentially from the infancy it is in now. There is no better money in history and once people understand just how radically different this is from anything else it will seem foolish to use an old skool credit card.

chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 08:46:04 PM

One of the reasons old school credit cards are so expensive to use is you get protection. You have recourse in case the product or service you paid for isn't as advertised. You have insurance. Crypto offers none of that, once you pay your money is gone forever. Does anyone honestly think this will ever be mainstream? you are delusional if so.
I'd also like to add that yes, 2+ years ago btc was a great investment. The last year it's been a terrible one however, a few early adopters got rich off a bunch of late buyers. I just don't see a rise happening again, joining the bears.

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 09:01:06 PM

One of the reasons old school credit cards are so expensive to use is you get protection. You have recourse in case the product or service you paid for isn't as advertised. You have insurance. Crypto offers none of that, once you pay your money is gone forever. Does anyone honestly think this will ever be mainstream? you are delusional if so.
I'd also like to add that yes, 2+ years ago btc was a great investment. The last year it's been a terrible one however, a few early adopters got rich off a bunch of late buyers. I just don't see a rise happening again, joining the bears.

Sure you get protection with a credit card. Your going to need it because credit cards are fundamentally unsafe. Of course you will pay for that and you could buy insurance for your bitcoins also. I don't because unlike my CC, I can secure my bitcoins myself.

As you point out, transactions are one way. Retailers absolutely love this. It eliminates chargebacks and other scams they often face. If your concern is that you can't get a refund, well you can. Last week I bought some honey caramels from bee's brothers. The transaction went fine, but later they sent me an email informing me that I had overpaid for shipping. They asked for an address and sent back the coins. Super easy, I didn't do anything except wait a few hours.

Lastly, this year has been the year of bitcoin. It might look bad to someone who came in at the high, but I have been doing this since BTC was $0.50. I do not "invest" in bitcoin, I use bitcoin, so what matters to me is how many places I can spend them. These are good times!

Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 09:15:38 PM

Think as bitcoin as "cash", it is just as unsafe and anonymous.
The whole banking system is a wrapper for cash money in my opinion, it is therefore added value (yes banks gamble with your money Wink).

There is no reason for companies(or banks) to add value to the base-system we call bitcoin.
Adding value can have negative consequences add cost, reduce anonymity, centralize, etc. in exchange for insurance, storage or protection.

I believe most bitcoin users would hate to see the centralization of bitcoin services giving governments control over it.
However if you look at cash money which is also decentralized you see a clear value in using a bank, credit/debit card due to protection and ease of use.

I think we will start to see these services pop up. Maybe some clever minds will make it easy to use, give protection but keep it decentralized and anonymous.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 09:27:32 PM

One year is only a blip in the greater picture. Thank you for pointing out that Bitcoin has so much potential to see the previous highs! You Sir, are a closet permabull. If you really thought nothing of Bitcoin you wouldn't be here. Thanks for all the love you show here!

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 09:53:04 PM

Sure you get protection with a credit card. Your going to need it because credit cards are fundamentally unsafe. Of course you will pay for that and you could buy insurance for your bitcoins also. I don't because unlike my CC, I can secure my bitcoins myself.

What makes a credit card fundamentally unsafe?
Credit cards may have a greater attack surface--by striking a balance between security and convenience.  A child can use one.  Bitcoin?  Not so much.

To put this in perspective with some actual numbers, let's see how much money is lost due to credit card "inherent insecur[ity].
During 2012 credit card and debit card gross fraud losses accounted for roughly 5.22₵ per $100 in total volume, up from 5.07₵ per $100 in 2011.
(Source: Nilson Report, August 2013)

Yeah.  We're losing 5 cents total for every $100 of volume.  Staggering.
For added perspective, consider the percentage of total Bitcoin lost to fraud in Mt.Gox debacle alone.  

Which elegantly segues us into my basic point:
Bitcoin is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for anyone but the dyed-in-the-wool Libertarian nutters who make Ron Paul seem sane.
It's a great answer to a question that no one asked Undecided
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 09:59:48 PM

One year is only a blip in the greater picture. ...

It's actually about one fifth of the picture, if we want to be generous and count the early years.
Bitcoin hasn't been around that long Undecided
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 10:35:45 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2014, 10:55:39 PM by chesthing

"Think as bitcoin as "cash", it is just as unsafe and anonymous."
It's a hell of a lot less safe than cash. Cash physically changes hands for an item that is right there, to be seen and handled. Btc is sent for stuff over the internet, and the hope is you will receive what is expected. If not, you have no recourse. A middleman like Amazon could tell the retailer to refund the btc, but there is no way for them or you or anyone else to take it back. The seller has to be willing. This is the flaw in crypto, this is the elephant in the room. Relying on the goodness of human nature doesn't work in the real world because humans are assholes in general.

To say that btc is safer than credit cards may be true if you aren't spending it, it's harder to hack into. But then again you just have to dispute the bogus charges, which is a hassle but at least it's an option. It's also "safer" for a shitty seller who doesn't want to worry about chargebacks. In any other sense credit cards are safer.
bitcoinbelieve

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 09:21:30 AM

I wonder what caused him to hate bitcoin
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 12:49:02 PM

One year is only a blip in the greater picture. Thank you for pointing out that Bitcoin has so much potential to see the previous highs! You Sir, are a closet permabull. If you really thought nothing of Bitcoin you wouldn't be here. Thanks for all the love you show here!

The MtGox bubble was a scam which generated a bubble that is slowly deflating and it would somehow be logical to fall back on prices before that peak, with two opposing corrections.  One correction is negative, as the scam has hurt bitcoin.  The other correction is positive, as there is more bitcoin activity around now than back then.  I don't think we will see another such peak.  With higher levels of capital, with more exchanges, with more derivative tools, only relatively small price evolution is IMO possible, following the expected future fundamentals.  Up, or down.  I don't know if the bubble from Willy bot has completely deflated yet, or still has to go an end down. 

I wouldn't expect ANY strong surge any more.  Only relatively smooth evolution.  Up.  Or down.

If you abstract away the bubble and its slow deflation, you could say that bitcoin came to some sort of maturity and will now evolve to whatever it will evolve into and price will follow - or be a precursor.   We're in the "few hundred $" range, and probably bound to stay there for a long time, with rather smooth evolution (up or down), following whatever will become of bitcoin.

In fact, the only potentially strong short-term evolution I can think off, is down, when long-time hodlers will realize that no surge to a few thousand $ is in it in the near term, and will cash out, which may lead to a panic-sell eventually.

Realizing that the surge to $1200 was a bot manipulation, if you abstract it away, bitcoin price has been relatively stable in the few hundred $ since about 2 years.
fewcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 01:17:29 AM

I wonder what caused him to hate bitcoin

I don't hate bitcoin... I hate scammers and this community is full of them... check out:
http://willyreport.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/the-willy-report-proof-of-massive-fraudulent-trading-activity-at-mt-gox-and-how-it-has-affected-the-price-of-bitcoin/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: