Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:15:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen when the 21M bitcoin will be minned  (Read 26057 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 01:21:36 AM

It will take us more then a decade to mine 21M, so who knows.

More like a century but who is counting?
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 06:53:47 AM

That's right, it will be over a century so then why do I keep seeing 2033 all over the place?  I've seen reputable sites quote 2033 or something like that?  Is it because the hashrate is always 2 weeks ahead and during those 2 weeks, due to a exponential climb in the hashrate and the difficulty lag, the reward scheme goes from 10 minutes to around 5 minutes and in theory that could even go under 1 minute for certain periods of time so people then may be guessing that the 21 million will in fact but totally mined in another 20 years?

I don't know, it's the only thing I could think of and I do find it odd that Satoshi made it go through the next century - I mean, what's the point of that? 

If someone can clarify why I've seen so many people say Bitcoin will mint all the coins sooner I'd appreciate it.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:06:47 AM

That's right, it will be over a century so then why do I keep seeing 2033 all over the place?  I've seen reputable sites quote 2033 or something like that?  Is it because the hashrate is always 2 weeks ahead and during those 2 weeks, due to a exponential climb in the hashrate and the difficulty lag, the reward scheme goes from 10 minutes to around 5 minutes and in theory that could even go under 1 minute for certain periods of time so people then may be guessing that the 21 million will in fact but totally mined in another 20 years?

First of all, if the block time goes down to 5 minutes instead of 10, that would imply that a 100% difficulty increase is needed. So far the highest we've had since the onset of the ASIC-age was the most recent one, 46%. So while block times are accelerated compared to the target of 10 minutes, it's not nearly that dramatic. And the general expectation is that the difficulty growth will slow down eventually, probably next year, and with it will come block times much closer to 10 minutes on average.

I'm not entirely sure why 2033 is coined as a year where all coins have been mined. It is factually wrong. What is true and relevant is that the speed at which coins are mined will decrease considerably over the next decade. With a block time of 10 minutes, there's a block reward halving every 4 years. At that rate, 2033 is the 6th block reward halving and at that point only 1/64th of all bitcoins are still left to be mined. With all the accelerated block times we've had, it's quite reasonable to assume that 2033 will actually be closer to the 7th block reward halving, which means that at that point more than 99% of all bitcoins will have been mined.

Block rewards will continue to be non-zero until they fall below 1 satoshi, which happens around the 32th block reward halving, which will take place 128 years after the Genesis Block (not counting speedup in block times). However the income from block rewards will be extremely low in the decades leading up to this moment, hopefully they'll be negligible compared to the transaction fees.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 07:16:17 AM

That's right, it will be over a century so then why do I keep seeing 2033 all over the place?  I've seen reputable sites quote 2033 or something like that?  Is it because the hashrate is always 2 weeks ahead and during those 2 weeks, due to a exponential climb in the hashrate and the difficulty lag, the reward scheme goes from 10 minutes to around 5 minutes and in theory that could even go under 1 minute for certain periods of time so people then may be guessing that the 21 million will in fact but totally mined in another 20 years?

First of all, if the block time goes down to 5 minutes instead of 10, that would imply that a 100% difficulty increase is needed. So far the highest we've had since the onset of the ASIC-age was the most recent one, 46%. So while block times are accelerated compared to the target of 10 minutes, it's not nearly that dramatic. And the general expectation is that the difficulty growth will slow down eventually, probably next year, and with it will come block times much closer to 10 minutes on average.

I'm not entirely sure why 2033 is coined as a year where all coins have been mined. It is factually wrong. What is true and relevant is that the speed at which coins are mined will decrease considerably over the next decade. With a block time of 10 minutes, there's a block reward halving every 4 years. At that rate, 2033 is the 6th block reward halving and at that point only 1/64th of all bitcoins are still left to be mined. With all the accelerated block times we've had, it's quite reasonable to assume that 2033 will actually be closer to the 7th block reward halving, which means that at that point more than 99% of all bitcoins will have been mined.

Block rewards will continue to be non-zero until they fall below 1 satoshi, which happens around the 32th block reward halving, which will take place 128 years after the Genesis Block (not counting speedup in block times). However the income from block rewards will be extremely low in the decades leading up to this moment, hopefully they'll be negligible compared to the transaction fees.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes perfect sense.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 07:28:13 AM

Only over 100 years left to decide..  Smiley

Hahahaaaa.

I've decided, I'm going with BTC for the short term [3-12 months] and I'm going with ixCoin for the longer term.

There will be no real winners here in the long term as any riches you make will be digitized and fully controlled by the banks and the government and if you want to eat your Cheetos with this new-found wealth you're gonna have to forfeit your freedom, your religion and your life and submit to being chipped like a junkyard dog.

That there will be the toughest choice the masses will have to make.  Lots of crypto-tears are coming.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:03:05 AM

If someone can clarify why I've seen so many people say Bitcoin will mint all the coins sooner I'd appreciate it.

Some impatient and lazy person took a look at this graph from the wiki page and assumed that since the graph stops at 2033, coin creation must stop at 2033.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/File:Total_bitcoins_over_time_graph.png

They then spread this incorrect information to anyone that asked.  People believed the bad information they were receiving rather than looking it up themselves.  They then repeated it to others. And so on, and so on.

You'll also hear some people claim that coin creation stops in 2024.  That came from the same sort if misinformation when someone was too lazy an impatient to scroll down on this wiki page:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_supply

They saw the "Projected Bitcoins Short Term" chart near the top and assumed that since that chart stops at 2024, coin creation must stop at 2024.
culexevilman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin is too valuable to be used as a currency

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 11:38:01 AM

Well we won't be there to see it happen, maybe our kids will see it in their lifetime...
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 01:29:22 PM

There will be no real winners here in the long term as any riches you make will be digitized and fully controlled by the banks and the government and if you want to eat your Cheetos with this new-found wealth you're gonna have to forfeit your freedom, your religion and your life and submit to being chipped like a junkyard dog.

That there will be the toughest choice the masses will have to make.  Lots of crypto-tears are coming.
Relax there is one benefit that is bestowed upon us by the mere existence of bitcoin: you can be your own bank.
Bitcoin is more than just another asset class.
The balance of power has shifted for the first time in the direction of the people. That is the main reason banks are so worried.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 01:47:31 PM

Relax there is one benefit that is bestowed upon us by the mere existence of bitcoin: you can be your own bank.
Bitcoin is more than just another asset class.
The balance of power has shifted for the first time in the direction of the people. That is the main reason banks are so worried.

You think banks are worried?  Lol, is that why they haven't done anything to kill it?

One piece of legislation and the banks own Bitcoin and all of your assets.  It's gonna be that swift and easy and once you've gone digital there is no going back. 

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 05:28:29 PM

My theory of why 2033 popps up again and again was that journalists assume that rewards below 1Ƀ won't work.

Why do you hope for transaction fees? I hope both will be negligible by any standard. Mining is a terribly misleading term and should in fact be called securing. There will be people interested in securing the network just because they have stake in it and not because they can harvest fees or block rewards.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
papaminer

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Free World

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 06:39:07 PM

We will reach 21m bitcoin when...

there are GUNDAMs and humans as pilot...

Cheesy

I would love to live to see that day...

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4414

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:55:18 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2013, 09:31:29 PM by franky1

What will happen when the 21M bitcoin will be mined

our corpses will either be dust in the wind or worm feed..

miners fee's of the next century should be less of a concern then how we will spend our current investments on our bucket lists, this century

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:20:25 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2013, 12:13:46 AM by DeathAndTaxes

That's right, it will be over a century so then why do I keep seeing 2033 all over the place?

Because people are dumb.  Someone citing 2033 as the projected end of block subsidy is not reputable.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/File:Total_bitcoins_over_time_graph.png

The chart ends in 2033 so "obviously" so does Bitcoin.  Of course the source for that chart (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_Currency_Supply) explains the subsidy won't go to zero for over a century so anyone quoting 2033 hasn't done even a few minutes of self research.

The date the subsidy will go to zero on the 34th halving of the block subsidy.   That is ~132 years (~2138) after launch IF the network hashrate was constant.  However over time the network hashrate is rising so it will occur prior to that.  How much depends on what the average network growth rate is during the life of Bitcoin.  If we assume the average growth rate is 15% per adjustment period (unlikely to be that high) it would "only" take (1-0.15)*132 = 112 years, still over a century to go.
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 10:06:58 PM

I believe alt-coins will gain market share from bitcoin in commerce once bitcoins becomes too valuable to spend.
Therefore a high value of bitcoin and low inflation will in the end lead to the stagnation of bitcoin as a medium of exchange (money) and instead make it more a storage of wealth, like gold.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 12:15:33 AM

I believe alt-coins will gain market share from bitcoin in commerce once bitcoins becomes too valuable to spend.
Therefore a high value of bitcoin and low inflation will in the end lead to the stagnation of bitcoin as a medium of exchange (money) and instead make it more a storage of wealth, like gold.

Bitcoin is perfectly divisible it will never be too expensive to spend.  People may hoard it when the short term price appreciation is greater than their desire for goods/services but a stagnation of price would be the perfect time/reason to spend.

Gold is an imperfect unit of currency because small amount of gold are very difficulty to effectively buy/sell/trade/spend.  Bitcoin doesn't suffer from that problem.
rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 09:45:50 AM

We will be dead wheb that happens. See the difficulty chart

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:41:59 PM

BTC will lose all value by then.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 06:39:50 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2013, 09:54:44 PM by Trongersoll

We'll be dead, who cares. Shocked
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 09:11:29 PM

The commission fee will keep the market up
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 10:14:47 PM

The commission fee will keep the market up

Nobody knows what the commission fee will be.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: