Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:23:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Blog Post] Our Discovery in Vienna – The Bitcoin Card  (Read 2950 times)
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 04:11:05 AM

Beautifully written by Erik Voorhees along with a few pictures.

http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/6/19/our-discovery-in-vienna-the-bitcoin-card.html

Enjoy

Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fatigue

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 04:26:20 AM

WANT. NOW. The future awaits....

Edit: is there any dev site for this currently?
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 04:30:39 AM

Cheers, It's looked so cool

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 04:33:38 AM

get rid of the colors.  just black and white like an ipod.

otherwise, nice option.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 05:06:30 AM

Sounds very exciting. Here is my question: Can the keys be backed up to a computer / server under the user's control? 

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 08:28:45 AM

otherwise, nice option.
i suspect the user interface is still "beta" and for developer interaction.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 10:08:10 AM

Wow, I didn't even have to click through a dozen reddit links to actually see the content! This is great!

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 12:21:41 PM

Wow, I didn't even have to click through a dozen reddit links to actually see the content! This is great!

hahaha...I know what your referring to!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 12:42:18 PM

My wife like the colors. Told me that looks "japanese".
[Tycho]

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 12:57:02 PM

Photo 400 pixels wide and 2.82 Mb in size ? Sorry, but you are doing it wrong :)

The rest of the article looks cool.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
Luceo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:20:05 PM

Very impressed with the details. Definitely want one.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:53:19 PM

Photo 400 pixels wide and 2.82 Mb in size ? Sorry, but you are doing it wrong Smiley

The rest of the article looks cool.

Hehehe true, but you can open the image in a new window for the full high res version so it's not a total waste of precious bandwidth Smiley
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:53:45 PM

The devices hold private keys on them. These can be backed up via the company’s website, but it is not necessary to ever interface with the company in order to use the device.
If you can't back it up yourself, it's a weakness. It should be able to display the private keys or a seed on the screen so you could take a picture of it.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:06:24 PM

It should also have some kind of robust security feature, like a thumb print scanner or at least a password, so that if you lose it someone else can't spend your coins.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:12:04 PM

My wife like the colors. Told me that looks "japanese".

It does in a way.  I'm sure that different designs will be popular in different regions.  After all, an image of Karl Marx is popular on credit cards in Germany.  Could be because the users like to rub his face in it, literally.  Could be because they used to have his face on the 100 Mark note.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
REF

Activity: 529

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:22:01 PM

+1

I like the design and colors but at this point its such a minor detail. Nice blog font on those bullet points is a little small. Market range of $10-25 sounds great. Backing up the private key is nice but who really cares? This is a replacement for cash/debit cards. We should be happy with any extra security, with just there online back up this is already safer then cash/debit. I want my solar panels! 60% chance they wont be there. If it requires movement or flexing to use then we can tape them to objects/trees around our neighbor hood to expand the network.

Do they have a website set up for there company Megion Technologies GmBH?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:32:43 PM

Great post, but I still have questions....

First off, all those present were required to sign an NDA specifically related to the more obscure technical details (the explicit technology used in the device). Much of this technology is proprietary to Megion, and is not available anywhere in the world. Everything apart from explicit technological details we are permitted (and encouraged) to convey and communicate about.

Can you tell me if the mesh network uses any existing tech, such as Dash7?

The mesh-network range of the device is 200-300 meters in open air, less if there are walls or other interferences.

Excellent, this is the practical minimum of an urban mesh network, in my opinion.

Some people on the forums have (probably correctly) said that the alleged features of this card are impossible using any existing technology. This is because Megion’s technology is not available on the market. Again, Megion’s engineers developed many of the components in-house. What is in this card is better technology than what is available in the marketplace.

I doubt this statement.  As a ham myself, I've seen some pretty wicked tech that is hard to find in any commercial marketplace; but that doesn't mean that it couldn't in a hurry.

The devices hold private keys on them. These can be backed up via the company’s website, but it is not necessary to ever interface with the company in order to use the device. In other words, someone can use the device anonymously and without creating any accounts anywhere.

This feature concerns me.  I'd rather have a device that was not replicateable at all than one that permits the company to do it via a distant server.  Even if the device asks for user permission, that does not mean that it must.

If you lose the card and have not backed up the keys, your money is gone.

Which would make it no different than a regular wallet.

The cards will cost, based largely on production quantities, in the range of $10-$25 each (retail).

Not as cheap as I had hoped, but not unreasonable.

An unaddressed question.  In the video it mentions the capacity to send arbitrary text from card to card (text messaging), did you see evidence that this feature is real?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 03:13:05 PM

Cuuurious. I like the local nature of it. But I'm left wondering - what does it do, other than generate its own power, that I couldn't do with my phone?

That's a genuwine question, because I do like the sound of the device. To answer myself a little, I like that it makes sending btc very easy, i.e. hides the idea of an "address" and replaces it with a device. Could a smartphone do something similar via Bluetooth/Google Maps/etc though?

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 04:09:27 PM

Cuuurious. I like the local nature of it. But I'm left wondering - what does it do, other than generate its own power, that I couldn't do with my phone?

That's a genuwine question, because I do like the sound of the device. To answer myself a little, I like that it makes sending btc very easy, i.e. hides the idea of an "address" and replaces it with a device. Could a smartphone do something similar via Bluetooth/Google Maps/etc though?

Well, it's cheap which could aid user penetration into areas/demographics that cannot afford smart phones.  That's just off the top of my head.

I'm curious how they plan on reaching any sort of "critical mass" of users to make the thing work. "Here, buy this thing and hold on to it! It might work...eventually" doesn't sound like a promising business plan. Sad

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 04:58:17 PM

I like this device. It's critical for this type of a device to be credit card sized. It just can't be bigger than that. The price is also excellent and the fact that it requires little electricity and can basically recharge itself. I do see this working out if Bitcoin gets bigger. Most Bitcoin projects are basically dependent on Bitcoin getting bigger, if Bitcoin fails then they fail. This is one of those that could be potentially huge if Bitcoin succeeds in general.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: